vintage multi-make photos

Couple neat vintage shots utilizing repurposed coaches.

First a '41 Miller (thanks to Tom McPherson for ID) used by car owner John Spada for Danbury Fair Racearena. His race driver Kenny Webb is leaning on coach.

Image from Tom Ormsby and part of Racing Through Time archives.

73002SPADA_HEARSE.jpg

Next a '51 Superior towing Barris' XPAC-400 by TOMM Studios. Believed captured in Kansas City as XPAC-400 had been rented by Ray Farhner. Ray produced the show car circuit and used XPAC-400 as a promotional feature.

Tom Davison photographer and from his personal collection.

Hearseandaircarcopy.jpg

Funeral of Paul Sauvé, Premiere of Quebec, on 1/5/60. Left image large to marvel in all 14 magnificent '57-'59 flower cars. Wow! This has now become my personal favorite flower car procession capture.

'59 MM closest to camera. Keith, can you nail the remaining 13 IDs? I'll need to study this for quite some time otherwise... ;)

Photograph from Montreal Star.

funerailles_sauve_1960.jpg

'58 Eureka landau was used from the family residence to St. Eustatius church.

06M_P719S2SS2SSS2D07P31.jpg

Thanks, Atti, for the terrific pics. The '41 is particularly interesting to me because the sign on the door says Plainville CT, the next town over from where I was born and raised. Makes me wonder which funeral home once owned it. Tom

The Eureka looks cooooool covered in snow :thumbsup:

The '57 - '59 (and one '56) "flower cars" all appear to be Series 62 convertibles.. All are too short to be CC cars. Compare length of leading '59 to the Chevy flattop at the right of the photo.. Still an eye-popping procession though!!

I once looked at a 1958 series 75 in Calgary. It was an immaculate looking car and in excellent condition. I was told by the then owner that it was the premier of Quebecs car from new. It was advertised for $12,000.00.

Atti - I've seen this one before, but it's no less fascinating. All of those flower cars look to be standard convertibles with canvas tops over the driver's compartment -- not a long-wheelbase custom in the bunch. We're not aware of any Superior, M/M, S&S or Eureka long wheelbase commercial chassis flower cars ever having been delivered in Quebec. But they sure have winter there. Brrrrrrrrr!

Quite interested in the totem pole on the right side of the first photo,any thoughts on significance, as for the cars Quebec would spare no expense on the funeral of a Premier back then, did notice the crucifix in the side window of the hearse. and yes they are famous for their snow and cold, very hearty people they are. Thanks for the post.

Undated '60s Vancouver funeral capture. Rear windows/trim on left coach relay Superior. With staggered side window height on right coach, is that a National?

41210.jpg

C/B used for a policeman funeral headed down West 16th Ave dated 7/5/66.

Gordon F. Sedawie photographer. Both images from Vancouver Public Library's Special Collections Historical Photographs.

43120.jpg

Undated '60s Vancouver funeral capture. Rear windows/trim on left coach relay Superior. With staggered side window height on right coach, is that a National?

41210.jpg

C/B used for a policeman funeral headed down West 16th Ave dated 7/5/66.

Gordon F. Sedawie photographer. Both images from Vancouver Public Library's Special Collections Historical Photographs.

43120.jpg

1960 and 1954 Pontiacs

'30 Henney Packard funeral coach donated by Scott Undertaking Parlor of Woodbridge to the Woodbridge FD in '53. It was then converted to a utility car and continued serving the community in a different form, dated 4/11/55.

James Victor Salmon photographer and part of Toronto Public Library Digital Archive.

943662_10151743172538221_1535718523_n.jpg

Cropped/enlarged/enhanced:

1004896_10151743172523221_276883411_n.jpg

Henney...yes. Packard...no. This is an example of one of the assembled Henneys from the early Thirties. The company didn't really start building on the Packard chassis until around 1934. Interesting example. Thanks for posting this.

lets re guess this one it would appear to be the elusive 53 economy ambulance at first glance.. but the moldings are off as is the shape of the tops of the front doors. were the glass looks economy there were at least 4 others using the same design. Weller, Welles, Memphis and Meteor off the top of my head. then again is it even a poncho? you really don't have much to go buy but the long inverted V upper door spear and the v dipped lower door would be the clue as will as the top of the doors. I'm guessing Chrysler for the doors and Welles for the paint in the circle around the cross and the year about 55 or 6. but it's just a guess. but I clearly remember the slogan

Attachments

• 1950 s.jpg
    1950 s.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 400
Per Tom McPherson coach ID, a '29 Superior Studebaker Samaritan ambulance being used as an advertising gimmick for Doctor X at Ben Ali Theatre dated '32.

Photography by Lafayette Studios and courtesy Kentucky Digital Library.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back