Rocky has a new coach?????

today i dug real deep into the 58, i removed the tank, and pulled out the rear for us to do a rebuild and disc brake switch over to it if all goes well. No turning back now.

Attachments

• DSCN0668.jpg
    DSCN0668.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 307
  • DSCN0673.jpg
    DSCN0673.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 307
  • DSCN0672.jpg
    DSCN0672.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 305
pulled the rear springs out, both are broken,

both rear eyelets broken off, could not see it till i took it apart, and also one lower leaf broken also.

milwaukee has a good spring shop so i will take to them to see if the want to make a whole new set or just redo the broken ones. we will see.

Attachments

• DSCN0674.jpg
    DSCN0674.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 306
  • DSCN0675.jpg
    DSCN0675.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 299
  • DSCN0680.jpg
    DSCN0680.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 304
well now that there is nothing back there, im going to clean up the back half of the frame andprime and paint it.

there is some loose undercoat so im going to get it peel off, prime and paint and reundercoat the floor. The floor looks really good back there no rust tru from what i can see. so that is good.

Attachments

• DSCN0683.jpg
    DSCN0683.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 308
  • DSCN0684.jpg
    DSCN0684.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 307
  • DSCN0688.jpg
    DSCN0688.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 300
  • DSCN0689.jpg
    DSCN0689.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 298
  • DSCN0691.jpg
    DSCN0691.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 298
OUTSTANDING !

Very cool to see and follow along during the resto.

Space, tools, time & ability !!! YOU GOT IT ALL ROCKY !!!

Keep up the great work,
Darren

:applause:

try some of this stuff http://www.hirschauto.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MIRHD-QT

I have never seen anything like it saves a lot of time and products and once it's on your done. you can have that entire back finished and ready to go back to gather in a couple hours. using less them a quart. we are testing it big time on the suburban. so far as a daily driver it's held up well. but a warning it's a floater is you spray it. takes overnight to dry and if you get it on you, you wear it for a week

try some of this stuff http://www.hirschauto.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MIRHD-QT

I have never seen anything like it saves a lot of time and products and once it's on your done. you can have that entire back finished and ready to go back to gather in a couple hours. using less them a quart. we are testing it big time on the suburban. so far as a daily driver it's held up well. but a warning it's a floater is you spray it. takes overnight to dry and if you get it on you, you wear it for a week
thanks i think i will give it a try, i have used por15 and really dont like it lots have has some issues with it. Its funny but what i have tested and has held up great is old rustolem oil based rust metal primer and paint. I have had it on some stuff that has been outside for about 20 years and has held up way better then it should. thanks for the link and heads up.

thanks i think i will give it a try, i have used por15 and really dont like it lots have has some issues with it. Its funny but what i have tested and has held up great is old rustolem oil based rust metal primer and paint. I have had it on some stuff that has been outside for about 20 years and has held up way better then it should. thanks for the link and heads up.

I was using nothing but Rustolem before Paul put me on to this. never tried the Por 15 as you had to buy to many products. at 100 bucks a gl I did not want to experiment with the miracle paint. but Paul sent me a gl of it and we have used it everywhere. really sets up hard and so far the half a piece I painted is not pealing on the rusty edge. it's been out side since I painted it.

strange how the top of the eye broke off on both of the springs. the rust must have seized the bushing and worked the spring there.

today i dug real deep into the 58, i removed the tank, and pulled out the rear for us to do a rebuild and disc brake switch over to it if all goes well. No turning back now.

Rocky, you mentioned rear disc conversion. I dont know if you know or not that commercial chassis rear ends are NOT the same as a standard Cadillac, they have a 3/4 floating axle. You may want to read this thread for more info if not familiar with them, it may save alot of trouble later. http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8031&highlight=commercial+chassis+rear

Rocky, you mentioned rear disc conversion. I dont know if you know or not that commercial chassis rear ends are NOT the same as a standard Cadillac, they have a 3/4 floating axle. You may want to read this thread for more info if not familiar with them, it may save alot of trouble later. http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8031&highlight=commercial+chassis+rear

Thank you for that link, i was looking at them and scratching my head. My buddie said it looked like a floater axel, and he was hoping that was the case for our custom disc conversion. Im not quite sure what he has up his sleeve. so i told him as he gets into it i want to take some pictures of the process so i will post them. But the conversion is going to be something we will make up with parts from another kit that speedway motors offers. And then make up the other stuff we need. It is in great hands. this is some of his speciality not mine.

well a little progress report, i ordered the bill hirsch paint, "thanks John" and preped the frame from the front of the x-member back. when it is good and dry i will reunder coat the rear floor pan section.

It layed down nice. i had my self all wrapped up, to keep the paint from landing on me. since it will take alot to get it to come off. Had some drops on the face scrubbed them off with lacquer thinner. That feel wonderfull on the face. Had some dry on my wrist we will see if it is all gone before the micro meet.

Attachments

• DSCN0693.jpg
    DSCN0693.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 517
  • DSCN0710.jpg
    DSCN0710.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 506
  • DSCN0713.jpg
    DSCN0713.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 556
  • DSCN0714.jpg
    DSCN0714.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 492
The other project i got to was i removed the front inner fenderwells so i can get to the heater boxes and the master cylinder, so i can up date that stuff. The rear section of the inners are rusted through the weel well side, so im going to try to find some rust free ones to swap out. If not i will fix them. Any one have a pair they want to get rid of?

Attachments

• DSCN0700.jpg
    DSCN0700.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 451
  • DSCN0699.jpg
    DSCN0699.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 495
  • DSCN0705.jpg
    DSCN0705.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 534
  • DSCN0707.jpg
    DSCN0707.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 478
As I told Ed about the Bill Hirsch Chassis Black paint... you have to be careful not to get it on yourself, or anywhere you don't want it, because it will be there for a very long time. Many years ago, I got some on my hands, and it took weeks before it finally was gone. I think that it might have been faster to cut off the skin and grow another layer.

And a Scotch Brite pad and lacquer thinner won't do it??

only if your get it now. surprising how fast it sets were you don't want it to. if a man were to spray it you better be out side away for anything else and in a full suit. let me know if you don't locate any I have a pair in the yard spotted that I need to cut some stuff off from. been waiting till spring and this 69 is past.

was that one Ex military to? looks like there kind of numbers on the firewall. or is that superiors sill number?

only if your get it now. surprising how fast it sets were you don't want it to. if a man were to spray it you better be out side away for anything else and in a full suit. let me know if you don't locate any I have a pair in the yard spotted that I need to cut some stuff off from. been waiting till spring and this 69 is past.

was that one Ex military to? looks like there kind of numbers on the firewall. or is that superiors sill number?

that # matches the body tag for M M. Kurt that paint when it dries on the skin will not come off with a scotch bright. I have some on my wrist and some small dots on my face and i cant scrape them off.

you will find that last three sets of numbers on every thing you take apart. there way of keeping the parts with the car.

little update to what i have been doing:

I got some rust free rear inner fender wells to replace the rusty ones from my car.

Also got my trans back that i had rebuilt

And started to strip the fire wall of the heat boxes and ducts and brake master cylinder and booster, so i can up date that stuff.

Attachments

• DSCN4826.jpg
    DSCN4826.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 347
  • DSCN4821.jpg
    DSCN4821.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 409
  • DSCN4838.jpg
    DSCN4838.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 316
  • DSCN4841.jpg
    DSCN4841.jpg