federal dome diameter?

Anyone have access to a federal 17x series light that can tell me the diameter of the dome, or more specifically, the diameter of the top opening in the chrome bezel? I'm at an antique mall looking at a possible alternative to a glass dome, but need to know the diameter of a stock one. Thanks!

Including flat dome mounting flare, 8.25"

dsc01605ea.jpg

thanks Todd

Todd,
This is to thank you for saving me some money. That Federal has been there since a week before Hershey. I have been looking for my spare proper dome. I knew the glass was wrong on that one. That data plate was worn enough that I could not read it. I did a rubbing and saw that it was a 17. Good luck with redoing that one.
Did you get a handful of tools yesterday?
Mike

Mike, are you talking about the one at Grandpas Garage? If so,that one is actually a 176 with a 17 skirt and God knows what type of dome on it. The internals work well, but the rest of it is kind of trashed. I may just get a replacement dome and tag for it and flip it for a couple bucks. The same guy had a Baader-Brown light a while back for real cheap that I should have jumped on, but didn't. Seemed like a quality piece, and a Springfield company to boot.

Early 17's had a smaller dome opening. When they introduced the 4 bulb rotators, the opened up the center hole to accommodate the larger dome. I believe that there is about a 1/2" or 5/8" variation between the early and late

light from Grandpa's

Todd,
The light from Grandpa's Garage is the one I was referring to. Dwayne told me you went there after the flea market.
They seem to be expanding well at Grandpa's.
Mike

Back