Speedometer cable length?

Would anyone know the length of the speedometer cable for my 1973 Cadillac Lifeliner? I replaced the cable but over the weekend it started acting up again. The new cable I installed was somewhat longer than the one I removed and seller said it would not be an issue. Looks like it is.
Thanks

cable length

Richard,
Did you install a new cable AND housing or just a new cable? The replacement should be cut to the length of the old one if you installed just a cable. As long as a new housing and cable was not too much longer than the original the extra length should not be a problem. Don't make the bends or turns the housing must take too sharp. Make sure you put some grease on the new cable when installing it. Is the new problem the new cable or something else related? Did you pull the drive gear from the trans? Is it worn?
Good luck.
Mike

I replaced the cable and housing. The new one is 12 inches longer than the old one and the noise is in the speedometer area. The needle would flucuate back and forth and make a grinding noise. Then all of a sudden nothing and everything is back to normal. Go figure!

To me, this sounds like the cable is binding in the housing. This is one reason to only use US made parts on an old car. Did you save the old casing? If so, then you can just make another cable to go inside of it. If you threw it out, then you haven't been listening for the past few years.

I have seen the bushing in the head do this to the will dry out. but to lube it you will have to remove the speed-o-meter. just a drop of two of a good motor oil will do it.

more cable

John is right about the one or two SMALL drops of oil. Remember, oil has a tendency to spread out. The more you put in there the more of it there is to spread. You don't want it to get into anything but the area that needs oil. This is one place where more is NOT better. I agree with Paul on the binding thing. Check the curves, turns, bends or whatever to make sure they are not too sharp. I think almost a foot longer than the original is excessive.
Mike

I asked Aaron and he says a standard cable would be 64 inches for this model so, I will purchase a new one and try that. Sure hate to attempt removing that speedometer cluster.

And "No" Paul, I did not keep the one as you always preach. I don't even have a place to store my cars unlike others who have lifts, multiple space, and wife's more understanding than mine. :D

I .....................

And "No" Paul, I did not keep the one as you always preach. I don't even have a place to store my cars unlike others who have lifts, multiple space, and wife's more understanding than mine. :D

You were on a roll until you got to the last part of that sentance... :D

Removing the speedometer head isn't that hard on your car. I could probably have it out in less than 20 minutes. :thumbsup:

While we're on the subject of speedometers, mine does not work, however the odometer does. At low speeds it makes a grinding noise and then stops. Any ideas?

Richard's wife comment

Richard,
Wasn't it your understanding wife that sprang for a steering gear just recently? What is not understanding about this lady? We all would like a wife that pays for parts.
Terri will not hear about this from me.
Did you ever hear that some things should not be put into print?
Mike

the other speedometer

Brendan,
I think your speedometer is shot. If the odometer is working but the needle is not showing your speed you are probably at the point of needing a rebuild. There are shops that can do this and recalibrate the head. Now we need to get Paul's 2 cents here.
Mike

Brendan,
I think your speedometer is shot. If the odometer is working but the needle is not showing your speed you are probably at the point of needing a rebuild. There are shops that can do this and recalibrate the head. Now we need to get Paul's 2 cents here.
Mike

YUCK.....:thumbsdown:

Richard,
Wasn't it your understanding wife that sprang for a steering gear just recently? What is not understanding about this lady? We all would like a wife that pays for parts.
Terri will not hear about this from me.
Did you ever hear that some things should not be put into print?
Mike

So true Mike. Thanks, sometimes I just need someone like you to remind me just how wonderful she is.

While we're on the subject of speedometers, mine does not work, however the odometer does. At low speeds it makes a grinding noise and then stops. Any ideas?

Your speedometer head has a defective magnet assembly. This is the part that spins and records the speed you are going. It will need to be taken out and sent for repair. Going from memory, I believe that there is a Delco speedometer repair shop nearby in Dartmouth MA. I will have to look up the name and address. If you can find a used one on ebay that works, that is a better choice, since yours might need parts that are no longer available. Getting a used one, and having it serviced before you install it is the better way to go.

if you can't find anythign out there I do beleve the caddy yard here has one in it. always a question as to weather it's any good but it may still be there.

Thanks guys, I will check ebay for a used one. In the mean time I will check the speedometer shop in Dartmouth Ma. since this is where I work as a paramedic. Pretty convenient.

Back