Track Width 1958 Cadillac Superior

that would be the track with of a 58 commercial chassis. go out and measure any pro ca. the rear is wider then the front but he spacers. then measure any other car 4 feet 11 inches is the standard. which is believe it or not two horses asses wide

that would be the track with of a 58 commercial chassis. go out and measure any pro ca. the rear is wider then the front but he spacers. then measure any other car 4 feet 11 inches is the standard. which is believe it or not two horses asses wide

I read somewhere a few years ago that the standard railroad gauge (between the rails) was the width of two horses asses, and the paths they walk in when teamed together. Makes a lot of sense when you think about it

as the story goes. it all stems from the original road builder in the world as we know it. which was the Romans. they needed a road system to maintain there empire and they built vary good ones that are still with us today. the main thing that traveled on the roads was war chariots. they were 2 horse drawn carts. the made ruts in the road. when it came to other builders building other wagons. if they were wider or narrower they would fall from one rut to the other and brake wheels, axles. be hard to drive on the surface and all that.

so to sell there stuff they built everything to fit the ruts. the spacing came out 4 feet 11 inches. or the with required to put two horses side by side.

try as they could to do something different there were just to many Roman roads. so that it became the standard that lives today threw out the world.

strange how things come about.

The two horses asses info is interesting. Never heard that before.
As for the original question, if anyone has a 58 shop manual, it should have the cc track info in the specs. I only have one for my 49, so no help there.

the only difference in any of the would be one or two inches.but I get home will give you the center of tread to center of tread of a 58 CC

Back