Wanted: Miller Meteor Ambulance Cross Emblem

Looking for one of the chrome crosses that were mounted on the sides of these ambulances, by the last side window. Preferably in good shape, no rust.

Paul, if it helps, I have a pair that are pitted (not rusted), and the pins on the backs are gone. If that can help any because it may be better than nothing, let me know. Best I can do!

The ones with pins are Superior. Miller Meteor used 1/4 x 20 screws that were backed up with cup washers and nuts. You installed the cross into the body, then with the nut backed off, you would thread the screw into the cross, and then tighten the cup against the body with the nut. I did leave out the part that both the cross and cup / nut assembly was loaded up with dumdum to keep water out. I have one that I can post a picture of tomorrow, along with a Superior one for comparison.

This brings up a question I have. I see these crosses on a lot of our cars and they all look similar. Was this a mandated item on ambulances? A predecessor to the Star of Life?

The red cross was the international symbol for medical aid. It wasn't mandated as such, but it was universally recognized. So it was commonly used. Various manufacturers had different styles of using the red cross (not all of which were red, as we can see from the chrome ones), but would have been recognized as being similar to the general public.

When the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration was developing the standards for ambulance design in the early '70's, they could not use the red cross logo, as it was copyrighted by the American Red Cross, a private organization. They developed the Star of Life instead (though an interim logo was the "orange cross"). The use of the Star of Life was/is only mandated on ambulances that are required to meet the design standards - which is, any ambulance purchased with Federal money. In the '70's, there was Federal grant money available for organizations to purchase ambulances, so many ambulances were bought with grant money and they all had the Star of Life. The Star of Life then became commonly recognized, so although most ambulances now are not bought with Federal money, the symbol remains - and is commonly used in many other countries now as well.

Last edited:
like Steve said but I'm think I was told that the red cross belonged to the Johnson and Johnson corp. who marketed bandages with that trademark symbol years before the American red cross was given permission by them to use it.

like Steve said but I'm think I was told that the red cross belonged to the Johnson and Johnson corp. who marketed bandages with that trademark symbol years before the American red cross was given permission by them to use it.
There was litigation that went on for years as to who was the "first" to use and have rights to the red cross logo - in the US. Ultimately, permission was granted to both.

that's the way it worked. thanks. Johnson and Johnson used that red cross logo on there products in the 1800s. the story relayed to me was when the copyright infringement came up they (J&J) allowed the red cross permission. the symbol of course was used by the military for as long as it is remember to id none combative personal and hospitals. but no one took a copy right out until J&J did. the military still used it around the world. by Geneva convention rules for that purpose. I think the oldest ambulance pictures we can find will have the bold cross on them also. the latest I have see it on is a 74 cb. one more thing on the star of life. it is illegal by federal law to show the symbol on anything but a active duty ambulance. one more of those laws no one enforces.

!!!!!!!!!!!!

The ones with pins are Superior. Miller Meteor used 1/4 x 20 screws that were backed up with cup washers and nuts. You installed the cross into the body, then with the nut backed off, you would thread the screw into the cross, and then tighten the cup against the body with the nut. I did leave out the part that both the cross and cup / nut assembly was loaded up with dumdum to keep water out. I have one that I can post a picture of tomorrow, along with a Superior one for comparison.

We are still looking for your picture!

The Miller Meteor cross is pictured on the left, and the Superior on the right. As you can see, the M-M is about 25% larger than the Superior. The M-M uses screws and a cup system to hold it to the body, where as the Superior uses metal studs to go through the body and are held on with self tapping nuts.

Attachments

• MVC-038L.JPG
    MVC-038L.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 71
  • MVC-039L.JPG
    MVC-039L.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 75
  • MVC-040L.JPG
    MVC-040L.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 71
  • MVC-041L.JPG
    MVC-041L.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 70
  • MVC-042L.jpg
    MVC-042L.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 69
Hi all,
Sorry for not getting back to you, I'm not getting emails indicating replies were posted for some reason, checking on that now. Seems to have drummed up some interesting chatter anyways.
I think I may be onto getting one of these. If not, I'll post again.
Thanks to all who replied!

Back