Oklahoma procars over the years

Steve, Thanks for placing these wonderful photos on the website, most all of my limited photo's I have shared with you, but I hope those that do have photo's of the old days will find some time to share them with us. The last few months have been very enjoyable including Richard Vyse's Criterion post. Thanks again for sharing your wonderful collection with us.

Larri

Steve, Thanks for placing these wonderful photos on the website, most all of my limited photo's I have shared with you, but I hope those that do have photo's of the old days will find some time to share them with us. The last few months have been very enjoyable including Richard Vyse's Criterion post. Thanks again for sharing your wonderful collection with us.

Larri

My pleasure, my friend! Please consider (a) becoming a site supporter and then (b) posting some of your photos.

Tulsa Speeedway ambulances

The Tulsa Speedway was a dirt track on the property of the Tulsa County Fairgrounds. The track was leased by a promoter (various ones over the years), who was responsible for all facets of the operation including maintenance, security, concessions, the first aid station, and of course, keeping ambulances on hand.

Between when the funeral homes exited the ambulance business in Tulsa in 1970 and Oklahoma's EMS law took effect in 1982, the speedway contractor owned and operated his own ambulance fleet. (Although Central and then EMSA had exclusive contracts with the city during that period, it didn't apply here because county property wasn't technically in the city limits.) Two ambulances were staffed during all activities, and a third car was usually kept in reserve.

Attached are photos of some of these rigs over the years:

1. 1965 Consort combination, originally from Louisiana

2. 1965 Consort combination, originally from Arkansas

3. 1966 Consort ambulance, one of two originally owned by Moore's in Tulsa and then by Central (purchased from Central only as a parts car, this one had been Central's unit 26)

4. This very, very nice 1959 Park Row combination was purchased new by the Reed-Culver F.H. in Tahlequah, and then by Morehead's in Comanche in 1969. After being traded in again, she was sold to the speedway in 1974. This car, originally a two-tone light brown and cream color, featured factory front and rear air, red parking light lenses, and a Q1B whistle. She was later sold to an indivdual near Cushing, after which she was exported to Europe.

(SL photos)

Here's what the red Pontiac looks like today:

http://s412.photobucket.com/albums/pp204/aburr65/

Sadly, the Cadillac is now an Ecto-1 replica:

http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=5182&start=0

Attachments

• Red 65 Consort_001.jpg
    Red 65 Consort_001.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 1,082
  • White 65 Consort_001.jpg
    White 65 Consort_001.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 1,105
  • 66 Consort_001.jpg
    66 Consort_001.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 1,057
  • 59 Park Row comb_001.jpg
    59 Park Row comb_001.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 1,140
Cars I've known and loved...

...well, known, anyway! These were cars that were in service when I worked at the Ninde and Tulsa-Whisenhunt funeral homes (four facilities in the Tulsa area owned by the late Charles H. Ninde, Sr.).

A 1965 Classic combination with panels and a 1963 Royale Landaulet endloader were traded in on this 1972 Seville endloader. She was bought for use as a second coach and for trips. I probably put at least 20,000 miles on this car myself over the years. Late one afternoon in the early 1980s, we received a removal call from Birks F.H. in Afton, which is over 70 miles away. I had a date (anniversary) with my wife that evening and didn't want to risk being late, but I was the only one available so I made the trip. Needless to say, that 455 "earned her keep" on that trip. I was in a hurry; I actually met a car on the way back that I had passed going up there! In about 1990, she was sold to Johnson's in Sperry with almost 200,000 miles under her belt.

Chuck bought the T-W firm in 1977. The 1974 Sovereign Landaulet endloader was purchased from Pat Mace (Central) in 1978 along with a 1975 Victoria, a 1976 Fleetwood 75, and the three prototype 1974 A/S six-door Cadillac limousines. I really liked the way this girl drove and handled; once I was promoted to fleet manager in 1981, I assigned this car to myself on every possible occasion. I probably put at least 30,000 miles on this one (back in the mid-1980s, we were doing about 700 per year between all locations...this fleet didn't gather much dust). After a few out-of-town trips without cruise control, I had enough of that and made sure it was installed. I had the shop make the invoice out as "speedometer repair*," because I knew the old man would never spring for a luxury like cruise! A vinyl top was eventually installed. I don't know where this car ended up.

Ninde's 1964 Eureka landau 3-way was traded in on a similar 1968 M-M, which was traded in on this 1973 version...the last of a long line of sideloaders at 9's. As you can tell by this 1985 photo, the doors needed an occasional realignment! This girl was traded in on a new 1985 Sovereign Landaulet endloader.

The 1975 Victoria was Pat Mace's demo when he was an S&S dealer for a short time. Once Chuck bought this, he put it at 9's and sent the Seville over to T-W. He insisted that this and the 1976 Fleetwood 75 be used as "last out" rigs only, in order to preserve them. (If anyone drove the '76 but Chuck, there had better be a good reason why!) In the late 1980's, the idiot manager at our Brookside location decided to use this car for a disinternment instead of the Suburban first-call car or one of the flower vans. As you might guess, fluids seeped into every part of the casket compartment and the smell never went completely away...even after having it dismantled and cleaned more than once. Believe me when I say that the old man was UPSET. This car was sold to a black firm in Tulsa, and was then sold to an employee of another firm in Oklahoma City. This once glorious and pampered ol' gal has been sitting outside there for years now...what a waste.

(SL photos)

*I had this done to our 1975 Catalina wagon first-call car, as well!

Attachments

• 72 CB TW_001.jpg
    72 CB TW_001.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 1,144
  • 74 SC TW_001.jpg
    74 SC TW_001.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 1,100
  • 73 MM 9s_001.jpg
    73 MM 9s_001.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 1,093
  • 75 SS 9s_001.jpg
    75 SS 9s_001.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 1,082
I worked for the Ninde firm (pronounced "nined", like a 9 with a "d" after it) in Tulsa, full- and part-time, between 1973-1989. Here's a reasonably accurate history of Mr. Ninde and the firms he owned; if you'll read this first, maybe the attached photos will have more meaning:

http://www.meaningfulfunerals.net/f...d=10402&s_id=A7220837EB25FD5B8F444A79485D7A68

1. Here's a fleet shot, taken in 1964 during open house for the new chapel (building in the background). From left to right:

1953 Cadillac four-door sedan
1964 Pontiac wagon
1961 Travelall ambulance (locally built; three-on-the-tree tranny)
1963 Cotington ambulance
1959 Eureka combination
1964 Eureka 3-way
1964 Sedan DeVille
1962 Fleetwood 75
1963 "
1964 "

(NFH photo)

The following two cars,along with a gold 1960 Eureka combination and the 1965 Ford wagon ambulance you've seen a photo of, came with the Hendricks firm in suburban Jenks. Charlie bought it from relatives after Al Hendricks was killed in a plane crash in 1966:

2. This is the 1963 Superior mentioned in the last post. (This is very likely the very first procar photo I ever took!)

3. This lovely 1960 Criterion combination was originally black over silver, but was painted white over red after it was sold to the Tulsa Speeday in about 1970. Original warning equipment was the usual #28 whistle and #17-D beacon. Check out the "checkered flag" curtains...

The Tulsa-Whisenhunt firm had three locations in their prime. After going out of the ambulance business in 1969, their fleet colors were changed to black from two-tone blue. They bought matching pairs of "slick top" Landau Traditional endloaders in 1972 and 1974:

4. This 1972 was photographed at their westside location.

5. This 1974 was shot at their S. Harvard facility when it (and the car) was fairly new.

(SL photos)

Attachments

• Old 9s cars_001.jpg
    Old 9s cars_001.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 1,090
  • Old TW cars_001.jpg
    Old TW cars_001.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 1,072
Leveling Lights

The Tulsa Speedway was a dirt track on the property of the Tulsa County Fairgrounds. The track was leased by a promoter (various ones over the years), who was responsible for all facets of the operation including maintenance, security, concessions, the first aid station, and of course, keeping ambulances on hand.

Between when the funeral homes exited the ambulance business in Tulsa in 1970 and Oklahoma's EMS law took effect in 1982, the speedway contractor owned and operated his own ambulance fleet. (Although Central and then EMSA had exclusive contracts with the city during that period, it didn't apply here because county property wasn't technically in the city limits.) Two ambulances were staffed during all activities, and a third car was usually kept in reserve.

Attached are photos of some of these rigs over the years:

1. 1965 Consort combination, originally from Louisiana

2. 1965 Consort combination, originally from Arkansas

3. 1966 Consort ambulance, one of two originally owned by Moore's in Tulsa and then by Central (purchased from Central only as a parts car, this one had been Central's unit 26)

4. This very, very nice 1959 Park Row combination was purchased new by the Reed-Culver F.H. in Tahlequah, and then by Morehead's in Comanche in 1969. After being traded in again, she was sold to the speedway in 1974. This car, originally a two-tone light brown and cream color, featured factory front and rear air, red parking light lenses, and a Q1B whistle. She was later sold to an indivdual near Cushing, after which she was exported to Europe.

(SL photos)

Here's what the red Pontiac looks like today:

http://s412.photobucket.com/albums/pp204/aburr65/

Sadly, the Cadillac is now an Ecto-1 replica:

http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=5182&start=0
The Tulsa Speedway folks obviously never took ED'S course in leveling roof lights! MM

this whole set of Steve's collection shows some vary interesting ways to putting on lights. surprising how many were just plunked down. the number of cars run with out skirts also. but it does show that they were work horses not pay toys. it all dependent on the owner and weather or not they were willing to spend profit on the cars. I'm finding a lot of interest in the tale as well as the pictures. thanks Steve for taking the time to post these. :specool:

Bob Diggs F.H. (Pauls Valley, OK)
1958 Superior/Cadillac endloader
1964 Superior/Pontiac combination

The Visibar on the Pontiac would've been much more effective had it had been moved back a foot or two.

(Bob Diggs photos, 1971)

Attachments

• Diggs 58 SC_001.jpg
    Diggs 58 SC_001.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 1,009
  • Diggs 64 SP_001.jpg
    Diggs 64 SP_001.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 1,105
Jack Heath and Gene Griffith left Tulsa-Whisenhunt and started their own firm (Heath-Griffith F.H.) on Tulsa's west side. On the day of their grand opening in 1972, their fleet was on display on the funeral home's parking lot:

(2) 1965 Superior/Pontiac Embassy limousines (ex-Guardian F.H., Oklahoma City)
1966 Fleetwood 75 (I bought this one in 1976)
1963 Eureka/Cadillac combination (ex-Mallett-Green F.H., Wagoner, OK)

I shot this on 127 film with my very first camera. I wish now that I had photographed these cars individually!

(SL photos)

Attachments

• HGFH photos_001.jpg
    HGFH photos_001.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 1,032
  • HGFH photos_002.jpg
    HGFH photos_002.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 1,074
Paul Thomas F.H. (Picher, OK)
1982 Superior/Buick endloader
1971 Sovereign Landaulet endloader

Picher F.D.
1973 Consort ambulance
1967 Seville combination

(SL photos)

The Consort was the first ambulance purchased new by the P.F.D. after Paul Thomas got out of the ambulance business. Originally black vinyl over white, it was repainted this awful yellowish tan later in its life. It replaced an unknown (to me, anyway!) station wagon that came from P.T.F.H.

The Seville was given to the fire department when the funeral home exited the ambulance business. There was originally a PA-15A with a CP-25 on the Visibar, but they were quickly pulled and installed on one of the fire trucks. An older Sterling #20 was then pulled from a shelf and installed on this car.

Attachments

• 82 SB EL Paul Thomas FH Picher OK_001.jpg
    82 SB EL Paul Thomas FH Picher OK_001.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 960
  • 71 SC EL Paul Thomas FH Picher OK_001.jpg
    71 SC EL Paul Thomas FH Picher OK_001.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 958
  • 73 Consort amb Picher OK FD_001.jpg
    73 Consort amb Picher OK FD_001.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 976
  • 67 Seville comb Picher OK FD_001.jpg
    67 Seville comb Picher OK FD_001.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 998
I shot this on 127 film with my very first camera. I wish now that I had photographed these cars individually!

(SL photos)

I know what you mean. When looking at some of the pix I took when I first started photographing pro cars were pretty sad. Im glad I improved greatly, although I still dont claim to be anything more than an amature.

Area 51

#55 - The third "55" is this 1971 51", the other ex-Randle-Eastern car that Pat kept and put on the street. Here she's seen just before being put in service, waiting for a 184H beacon to be installed. She was later sold to a private service in Poteau. (This car had toggle switches instead of rockers, which were still common on Superior combinations of the period but very rare on an ambulance. Superior started using rocker switches as a standard feature on ambulances and combinations for the 1969 model year.)

Correction: She was first sold to the ambulance service in Muldrow, OK, and then to Area A.S. in Poteau, OK, as seen here:

(SL photo)

Attachments

• Area 51.jpg
    Area 51.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 989
Last ones

Thomas F.H. (Welch, OK)
1982 Crown Sovereign Landaulet combination
This was the last combination sold new in Oklahoma. She was traded in to a dealer in Dallas in 1989; from there, it went to a funeral home in Washington. In the early 1970s, the Summers (M-M, C/B) salesman started a trend of using a red/blue/amber/clear bulb combination in four-bulb beacons.

McAlester F.D.
1979 Transport
This was the last Cadillac ambulance sold new in Oklahoma. It was sold to an individual locally in the late 1980s via city auction, where it was dismantled for a restoration that never occurred. I have no idea of her disposition.

(SL photos)

Attachments

• Welch 82.jpg
    Welch 82.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 999
  • McAlester 79 SC.jpg
    McAlester 79 SC.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 943
attachment.php

Quite an exact list, eh? Kleenex? No Pen? :p

My favorite thing about looking at photos like this is watching a firms chronological progression of their cars. One the first page, the Foster-Petering FH's '70 Superior and '66 C-B are great examples of this. I love to see the stablemates of these firms.
Keep up the good work...

Stablemates you want...

...stablemates you'll get:

Thomas F.H. (Welch, OK)
1982 Crown Sovereign Landaulet combination

1975 Cotington 54 (recently for sale on Craigslist, stripped and in rough shape)
This was "Bus" Thomas' transfer car until he exited the ambulance business in 1995.

1969 Seville combination
This girl was relegated to rescue duty when the new '83 Ford/Wheeled Coach Type II arrived. Although owned by the funeral home, she was manned by volunteer firemen and kept at the station. Yes, that's a set of Hurst extrication tools in the back!

1988 S&S/Lincoln endloader (replaced the '82 Cadillac)

Thomas' last ambulance was a 1991 Stratus/Ford Type II purchased from yours truly. The '83 Ford was traded in on it. The Olds was kept because the townsfolk preferred its ride over that of the van (who wouldn't?).

(SL photos)

Attachments

• Thomas%20Olds%2054.jpg
    Thomas%20Olds%2054.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 826
  • Thomas 69 Seville.jpg
    Thomas 69 Seville.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 769
  • Thomas 88 Lincoln.jpg
    Thomas 88 Lincoln.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 796
Last edited:
Shurden F.H. (Henryetta, OK)

1970 Landau Traditional endloader
1973 Cotington Limousine combination w/panels

The Olds had a pair of red lollipops behind the grille, but no whistle.

(SL photos)

Attachments

• Shurden FH.jpg
    Shurden FH.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 783
Worley's in Grove, OK had this 1972 Classic combination and 1975 Sovereign Landaulet endloader.

(SL photos)

Attachments

• Worley FH.jpg
    Worley FH.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 772
Back