Need help and info!????

Hey everyone! New here and new to the whole hearse ambulance thing also. I just purchased a 1949 Chevrolet Barnett Hearse and want to restore it. I don't know where to find parts since everything is stretched or completly different interior. How many were made? Just different things like that. I have the siren amd lights to it also, so Im guessing it was used as an ambulance also? But where do I find lens and bulbs and parts for them also? If anyone could help me out, that would be a big help!! Thanks, Johnny

Welcome!

Welcome the the group Johnny. You'll find that there is a wealth of information out there in the PCS world. Of course you should consider joining the Society and enjoy the award winning quarterly publication. Also consider becoming a site supporter. You can then access al of the features and be able to post pictures related to questions you have.

Barnette's are difficult to get details as not alot of information survived the company's transformation and eventual demise. I have a '53 Pontiac/Barnette combination. Some parts are standard GM products, others are what was available or worked best. Some parts were used over many model years so although you have a '49, it may have parts from earlier years.

For siren parts, John Dorgan (sirenman.com) is well known to us and can offer information and services. Of course there's also ebay and the PCS network. Kevin O'Connell deals in B&M sirens and also an excellent resource.

I'm sure others will post with additional information.

Welcome. I see your in Gerogia. With your new car project, it seems it is time to search every auto junk yard you can find. The junk yards can be the best places to locate parts that are specific to pro cars.

Cool Guys! I was wanting to become a full fledge member, But this is what I got. I want to load pics and things like that. So where do I go from here? LOL Every site is different. Im part of the H.A.M.B. also if anyone else is also. Name there is johnnys1954chevy. The standered parts are no problem. That I know where to get the parts. Its what belongs on the car and where exactly or if there is such a right location? Weather stripping for the longer doors and channels. Is it supposed to have rollers for the casket? Curtins? Can you go with your own interior. ( I know I can do what ever I want) But if I want to go back original????

joining

Johnny, to become a site supporter and/or a member all you have to do is go to the top of the page, you will see two boxes, one yellow and one blue. Click on the yellow one to become a site supporter and the blue one to become a member, then just follow the directions given.jp

Johnny,
1st off - I do recommend becoming a member and supporter. It helped me a great deal.

2nd - as you are aware a lot of the parts are standard Chevy parts. The parts that are specific to Barnett are somewhat difficult to locate but much of it can be fabricated. I have a fairly decent collection of '49 - '52 Chevy & Pontiac Barnett vehicles. The rear interiors are pretty much the same. I can share with you, if you'd like, to help you get started. Let me know.

I have wait we think is a 53 Barnette ambulance here to. most of the things you were referring to are around and can be picked up new. I guessing from what your saying that yours have been striped out and no longer has a interior?

Johnny, as you've figured out, the front of the car is probably mostly standard Chevy. The rest of it was built by the coachbuilder, Barnette, which means most of it was built by hand. So it's not like you can buy new replacement parts, there just aren't any. And of course, these were built in the single or double digits, so there weren't very many of any given year to begin with, and not very many left now.

SOOO, how to restore it? We have pictures, and there are some others out there. You'd basically have to eyeball things like the interior based on whatever is left in it (if there is anything left) and have replacements made. If there is any bodywork that needs to be replaced, it'd also have to be made custom. It can be done. And you need a lot of patience, these things take time to be done right, but when they are done right, it's great.

Once you get the site supporter stuff straightened out, we can see pics and hopefully someone can share stuff with you.

You're still in the right place!

Welcome the group Johnny. So, you’ve got a 1949 Barnette-Chevrolet funeral car. Barnettes are interesting cars. Barnette specialized in Pontiac and Chevrolet professional car conversions from 1948 through 1955. Built by The Guy Barnette Company of Memphis, Tennessee, these cars were created by using Chevrolet or Pontiac sedan deliveries as base units and converting these vehicles into funeral coaches or ambulances. The base sedan deliveries wheelbase and overall length was extended with new sections inserted into the center that included new rear side doors, rocker panels, roof and floor panels. Your car would have begun life as a 1949 Chevrolet sedan delivery Model 1508. The vehicle was then cut and extended 36” to a wheelbase of 151” (from its standard 115”) and new rear side doors were fabricated, the roof and floor pans were installed and the vehicle finished, painted and trimmed. Most mechanical components on your car will be standard Chevy while body sheet metal, with the exception of the roof, floor pan, rocker panels and rear side doors will also be from the base sedan delivery. I’ll post some other information regarding these cars later.

Jonny, I have located some original 1949 Barnette specifications pages, photographs and other material which I'd happily share with you. As I am not able to post photos and the other material, if you PM me with your e-mail address, I'll scan and send the material to you. I'll also attempt to answer any questions you may have on the cars and the company. I have a decent collection of Barnette material including literature, dealer albums, price and specification sheets and lists and factory photos - both interior and exterior shots from 1949 through 1955. I am assuming that you car is in restorable condition and that you wish to put it back into original condition.

Thanks Keith for the Info. I would love to learn more about it. I know when I called Hagerty's to add it to my insurance, They couldn't find it. So I listed it as a sedan Delivery/Hearse. I see where they had added to the car and I noticed the front doors are the same as a four door front door. The wheel base now is 12ft 7in. It was funny when I first got into it and was going to turn around and I thought this thing doesn't turn sharp worth a shit!!! LOL Then I realized I was driving a bus!! But any info I can get on it would be awesome. I want to learn more and more about it. I know alot abuot 49-54 chevys and thats what I fell in love with over 21 years ago when I got my first 1950 Chevy 2 door Deluxe. Is there a way to tell how many were made in my year and how many survived? I only noticed two so far, mine and one other thats fixed up.

not a lot of information on numbers of cars. though the majority of them produced were the combinations, as that fit the smaller funeral home best. and not a lot of them have survived. eather I only know of 4 other 53s but it makes one of each. one of them is hot roded. here is the only pictures i have of a 49 it was up for sale a few years ago.

Attachments

• 1949 barnett 1.jpg
    1949 barnett 1.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 96
  • 1949 barnett 2.jpg
    1949 barnett 2.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 95
found a couple other 49 pictures I have. this would not be your car would it.

Attachments

• 1949 barnette 1.jpg
    1949 barnette 1.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 86
  • 1949 barnette 3.jpg
    1949 barnette 3.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 86
  • 1949 barnette chevy0002.jpg
    1949 barnette chevy0002.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 88
Hey John, Yea the two top pics are my car that I picked up in Piggott Arkansas just last week. Im hopeing the bottom pic will be the outcome!!! LOL

Johnny,

I believe that these pics are from your rig a while back? If so it will help to narrow down the actual style that you have. Also if so, then you have a good base to start with, all are good for templates. Is there a sliding window in the partition?
Others, more knowledgeable than me, can ID the siren for you.
I have a pic of the back glass and yes it does appear to be too large for your vehicle. But don't toss it as it may go a 48, 53 or 54 sedan deliver and is hard to come by. What are the measurements?

Attachments

• 2e.jpg
    2e.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 2f.jpg
    2f.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 2c.jpg
    2c.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 66
Back