junkyard run 3/17

With a friend visiting from out of state, beautiful sunny skies and in the low 70s, we set out early for another day of iron hunting. After a few miles covered on foot and me already snapping 177 pics, the best surprise came when wrapping up.

In the office thanking the employees of this rural spot 50 miles south of Austin hosting a couple thousand cars from (mainly) the '30s-'60s, an older gentleman not working there asked what I was into:

"Pre-'60 professional cars, Caddies..."

He cuts in:

"Oh? That's too bad, I have a '72 hearse. But several pre-'60 Caddies."

Needless to say within minutes my friend and I were following the esteemed gentleman back to his ranch for a peek. Didn't surprise me that he lived on an increasingly similar long private unpaved road like a couple other Texan hoarders do. Through a cattle gate and around a giant cactus outcropping Cadillac projects suddenly appeared. First a '55, then a '56, and further down some '59s...all neatly arranged in rows; 70 or 80 cars in all. Some more complete than others, each more restorable than those in the junkyard. Keep in mind cars here typically don't have rot - they might come with a rattlesnake though.

The black '72 Superior endloader is in decent original shape:

dsc07968g.jpg

dsc07967.jpg

dsc07965b.jpg

dsc07973z.jpg

dsc07971r.jpg

dsc07970.jpg

dsc07969f.jpg

Odometer showed 19k miles, probably 119k? Owner didn't know without checking title. Coach started right up as stated. Says it runs strong and needs nothing. Well, the driver's rear quarter molding was missing and that quarter has a little flash rust on it - so it could use a little attention. A good paint buffing would probably go a long way with this coach.

Classified ad for it when this thread is done.

Also on this ranch is a Pontiac hearse - good for parts anyway. Interior wasn't that great of shape and it had minor accident damage but what do I know?

dsc07979bl.jpg

dsc07982.jpg

Another I literally initially walked right by is this odd Dodge minivan conversion. Not anything I would have paid attention to since it came out anyway yet still interesting to see firsthand.

dsc08001k.jpg

dsc08000.jpg

Large chrome wreaths on the inside were neat.

Can post more Caddy pics from this ranch or some cool shots from junkyard if you guys want off topic.

Paul, I did look for '63 Chryslers. Nothing. They ceased with a '61 Imperial and picked back up with either the '65/66 model year.

your truck

Scott,
Have you checked your barn? That may BE your truck!

Great pictures. Thanks. Is there such a thing as too many pictures? I don't think so. If we buy something can we leave the Texas snakes in Texas? I think we probably have our share here already.
Mike

Back