Wellsboro Ambulance #17 1973 S&S Medic 1

Darryl Thompson

PCS Life Member
Figuring the interest that has displayed in the Ambulance Rescue's thread of this coach, I figured its own thread was in order. The reasoning for this is that I am going to keep posting the little mile markers of her eventual full restoration. Feel free to ask questions, spur debate and suggest away on items of interest on the restoration.

As of now, the coach has full brakes and runs amazingly good. It does have a ton of rust issues to contend with and all will be addressed through the restoration. This coach surprises me every day I work on her, new things are found, new things are made to work again and most of all the thoughts get more solid of "this old girl is going to strut her red dress again".

Any of the previous discussion of this coach can be found on the Ambulance Rescue's thread and the initial story of how it was acquired.

http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13135

Enjoy!

8/21/13 Day of the windows

After a full afternoon of designing, cutting, scraping and cleaning, the old girl has her window art back! It took almost 2 hours to replicate to exactness the side window striping and logo to replace the well gone originals. However, once done I could nothing but smile.

BEFORE

AFTER MOMENTARY A.D.D.

I know it seems that the full restoration is getting off to a slow start but I have had a few requests to see it. This coach will be attending the procar graveyard event in Durham, N.C. September 7th so that many more can see first hand the state she is in. After the event the coach will be going into full teardown for a rapid winter restoration.

Until the 7th I will keep plugging away at the little things that help the main cause along. :)

Keep in mind S&S owners, I now have exact art to replicate the side windows. I know my cross used to be gold but I really like the red with all the other reds I have for this car. Crosses can be done any color wanted. ;)

Darryll, I am thrilled to see the progress you are making! To think that this ambulance was dead and gone in the eyes of many and now it lives! How cool is that? I admire your tenacity and determination, you are the best person to have this rare beauty! Keep up the good work.

ah come on a good bodyman can just buff that rust out lol

can ya do that to my new glass meant to bring that up last time we chatted
that looks very good keep it up:D

The graphics look awesome. Good job! I will be in touch. BTW I am so glad you saved this car. I have a soft spot for S&S Professional High top ambulances. I also think it is cool that it is a 1973. Do you Know if you car is the car that was being built next to mine? Did Wellsboro have more than one 1973 S&S?

What is the build date / number on your plate? I know there was another unit at Wellsboro before mine that was wrecked, thus why I ask.

Wellsboro did have 2 identical '73 Medic 1s Bruce. When the other was wrecked, it was replaced with the even more outrageously equipped '75 Medic 1.

Darryl found '73's engraved dedication plaque while cleaning rig out. Originally double sided tape held it to the backside of a rear cabinet that was readable through window. Adhesive had deteriorated, dropping it off. Don't know if he's cleaned it up yet but imagine he will post a shot. It includes some pretty cool info.

My blue 73 is Manufacture # 73-105 Model #731443 as well. This car was the car that was photographed for the 1973 S&S Professional Brochure. This car was used as a brochure car several years after but it was touched up to be the succeeding years.

Kinda thought so, but wasn't sure. I have a disc with more build photos of mine, that are not posted, I think there is more pics of yours in the background. There is a interior shot of your car taken standing from the open drivers door as it is being built, I believe. I will check when I get home from work in the morning.

After a few days off odds 'n' ends

The cleaning continues and compiling of the mega-list of to do's. Since the last update, several items had attention paid to them and brought back to 100% status.

-Units battery charging system is back to 100% shore power charge.

-All interior lamps have been fixed / updated to working.

-Radio system has been modified to work / rebroadcast from an Iphone almost any localities radio broadcasts. Including the siren horn rebroadcasting.

-Rear A/C brought back to working order.

-Both DC - AC converters now work to provide 110 volts to the rig when on the road.

This weeks projects include the rear floor wood and covering replacement along with replacing possibly the front floor pans.

On a bigger note (to myself at least), during the removal of the rear components I found the original brass dedication plaque. :D

It has been since cleaned and re-positioned in the coach to give it a little more prominence. :) I feel that if a person was a factor in a coaches reason of being there, should stay as a memory with the unit even if it is private owned.

I guess it's the 5th generation Firefighter in my blood. ;)

A little history of Dr. Dimitroff. ~Excerpt from his obituary in 1972.

Dr. Thomas Dimitroff, one of the area's most renowned surgeons who served Corning and Pennsylvania Hospitals with distinction for many years. Dr. Dimitroff, 79, who resided at 140E. First St. Corning, died Wednesday Dec. 20, 1972 at 3:45 pm in Corning Hospital following a lengthy illness. A practicing physician in Corning since 1957, Dr. Dimitroff had held a number of responsible surgical positions in Pennsylvania hospitals prior to moving here. He was highly respected both within the medical profession and the communities he served. Born Apr 13, 1893, in Armesco, Macedonia, Greece, he ws the sone of Metri and Oristanna Christy Stoyanoff (Dimitroff). He married Phylis Lynch of Athens, Pa in Athens Nov 16, 1935. Dr. Dimitroff was a former hospital staff member at Blossburg State Hospital. He was a communicant of Christ Episcopal Church. During his residence in Wellsboro he was a member of St. Paul's Episcopal Church. Dr. Dimitroff was surgeon in chief of the Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Hospital in Wellsboro, Pa from 1942-1957. When he came to Corning Dr. Dimitroff had been a member of the consulting surgical staff of Corning Hospital for nearly 20 years before he came here to practice. He maintained offices in his home until he was taken ill. Dr. Dimitroff was associated with the Robert Packer Hospital and Guthrie Clinic in Sayre, Pa. for 10 years and with the Tioga General Hospital for five years. Dr. Dimitroff moved to Canada from Greece at the age of 16. He received his medical degree at the University of Toronto and had five years of post graduate study at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia. His internship was served at the University of Buffalo Hospital. After practicing for five years in Toronto, he joined the Robert Packer Hospital and Guthrie Clinic staff in Sayre and became known as one of the leading surgeons. From 1937-1942 he practiced at the Tioga General Hospital in Waverly. Dr. Dimitroff established the Wellsboro Fireman's Ambulance Driver's Association and was an honorary life member of that organization. He was a charter member of the World Medical Society, a Fellow of the Internationsl College of Surgeons and a Fellow of the America Colege of Surgeons. He was a member of the American Academy of Proctology and also a member of the International Academy of Proctology. Dr. Dimitroff was a member of the American Medical Association, New York State and Pennsylvania Medical Societies, a member of the Tioga County, Pa and Steuben county Medical Societies.

Back