Museum Auction

I went to a auction this last weekend in Arkansas city, Ks. It was the old Scott museum, he had been collecting from the mid 1941's till his death in 2000. The buildings were set up like what life was like around the local area from late 1800's till the 1980's.
He had a great display of several Undertaking business and morturary homes, which all went up for sale. He had the old wooden embalming tables with various medical bottles of fluids and tools used. The two old embalming bottles sold for over $100.00 each. They had about 10 caskets made of wood, galvanized metal, and bamboo looking weaved wood. One of them had a real skeleton which sold for $1900.00. They had casket handles and the funeral magnet flags from maybe 1930 - 1950's, which I bought, also the Ambulance signs for the windows of the car, not sure what year they are, but they are fairly large. I bought a wooden morturary sign that was on the outside of a old wooden business, probably early 1930's or so. They had a cast aluminium Funeral Service sign thats about 36" long. Last was a horse drawn hearse, that had a large wooden cross on the roof, from the late 1880's. It went for about $9000.00.
I haven't been to very many auctions that had this much funeral type stuff, and the prices reflected how rare some of this stuff is. I also bought the diploma from 1880 of the embalmer who owned the funeral home, kinda neat.
Well thats all I have about that.

Sounds like that museum might have been a good PCS destination. I guess these types of museums are around, but unfortunately most of the people who would be interested never know about them. It must have been very interesting to see though. Did you take any pictures before the auction?

Sounds like that museum might have been a good PCS destination. I guess these types of museums are around, but unfortunately most of the people who would be interested never know about them. It must have been very interesting to see though. Did you take any pictures before the auction?

No, I didn't even think about it at the time. It was sooo HOT, I actually left on Saturday, but thats when I found out the funeral home stuff was selling on Sunday. It was almost the last to be auctioned, which was probably good for me, cause I'm sure some people left.
I think the online newspaper for Ark City Travler might have some pictures, it was on the local news out of Wichita. They had something I'm not sure what it was, and I need to do some research on. It was called McKinzey Mits, that were used for I belive some prison???? anyway they were metal and had a place for the thumbs, and they were chained together. I don't know if to keep the prisoner from hurting himself of someone else. Anyway they sold for $5000.00

Thanks for posting Herb, very interesting and glad to see you got a couple neat items.

Yes, I bought a few things, not sure what I'm going to do with them. I have some casket handles that have fur on them, I guess they would go on a young adult or kids casket? I have a small metal vault that I guess its a advertisment for the vault, but its a paper weight. Oh and a rubber stamp that has a skelton on it, it was in a random box of stuff still need to go thru it.

................ They had something I'm not sure what it was, and I need to do some research on. It was called McKinzey Mits, that were used for I belive some prison???? anyway they were metal and had a place for the thumbs, and they were chained together. I don't know if to keep the prisoner from hurting himself of someone else. Anyway they sold for $5000.00

I remember seeing a pair come into the pawn shop in Las Vegas, and it was determined that they were a handcuff. Not made for very long, since they realized that the prisoner, could use them as a weapon against the guards. I don't believe that they paid anywhere near the $5000 that this pair sold for.

like this?

No, I didn't even think about it at the time. It was sooo HOT, I actually left on Saturday, but thats when I found out the funeral home stuff was selling on Sunday. It was almost the last to be auctioned, which was probably good for me, cause I'm sure some people left.
I think the online newspaper for Ark City Travler might have some pictures, it was on the local news out of Wichita. They had something I'm not sure what it was, and I need to do some research on. It was called McKinzey Mits, that were used for I belive some prison???? anyway they were metal and had a place for the thumbs, and they were chained together. I don't know if to keep the prisoner from hurting himself of someone else. Anyway they sold for $5000.00

Just for your information.

Attachments

• handcuffs mit.jpg
    handcuffs mit.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 289
I remember seeing a pair come into the pawn shop in Las Vegas, and it was determined that they were a handcuff. Not made for very long, since they realized that the prisoner, could use them as a weapon against the guards. I don't believe that they paid anywhere near the $5000 that this pair sold for.

I saw that episode too. It seems to me that they gave a couple of hundred bucks for them.

That seemed like alot of money to me too, the only thing I can think of is they might of had some important value around here localy. Like some famous outlaw wore them? At least thats what I would be telling people if they were mine. I would say the outlaw Jesse James and the Dalton gang had wore them.
But the picture of them , sure looked like them in person. Thanks for the picture Jerry.

OK if you go to google or bing and type in Scott Museum + Arkansas City Kansas, or KAKE TV, has a viedo of the Mc Kenziez mitts and the skelton for those that would like to see . The auction was put on by Ball and they have a sell bill that shows the hearse and undertaking sign.

Back