1967 Cadi super question

Hello everyone I need some thoughts about the resto i'm doing on my 1967 Cadi Superior Rescue. It was built and still is a Tan color and still all original and I had thought about changing it to a White over Red paint job, is there any value in returning the car to it's original color or would the White over Red be a better choice? 2nd question is i'm missing one of the body side mouldings that is the long piece down the quater panel at the beltline, it's just a chrome moulding about 1/2 inch wide but several feet long, any ideas on where I could find one?

White over red are traditional colors, and as such is the most popular. Originality in color isn't as important in determining value as the quality of the work, if it is going to be repainted. Personally, I like to keep original colors, and since there are so many red and white ambulances out there, one of a different color stands out in a crowd.

I too would leave the original color. There are so many white/red ones that seeing something different would be refreshing.

yes I agree with Paul.....there are a LOT of red and white Ambulances out there and the same with Black hearses. something a bit different does stand out.

My 87 Eureka is gray with a gray top and I have had a few people ask me if I repainted from black it was ordered from Eureka that way.

so being a bit different can be a good thing !

if the colors go together and you can stand them it always best to keep what you have. however tan with a blue interior is about as silly as red and white with a green one. you get to looking and your reminded they were a work horse. did not need to look pretty just needed to work. as for the molding they are around. some times it's better to stop in the yard and pick up a pair off a standard caddy and splice them to get the length you will need. they can be welded and polished out to have the length and appearance.
if my memory is correct the molding is the same profile from 65 to 76. all that changes is the way they did the ends and the length. pick one that is right in the rear and another right in the front and cut them to length. make a tab out of the remaining stock to slip into the back side and splice them together. done it a few times here

My 69 Superior originaly came white over blue with a white and blue interior. It was then painted white over yellow and finally white over red.

It would be nice to have your ambulance stand out to be different by leaving the original color.

My 67 was always all white, which makes it stand out since there are very few that are all white.

white red white

We're close to starting restoration on my 75 Lifeliner. It is white over red. I'm planning on doing my usual white red white. Cotillion white, 1960 Pontiac/GM flame Red and cotillion white. I'm sticking with this so it matches my fire trucks. I do admire different colors though....so I guess the bottom line is to not worry too much about what others think. Good luck and take lots of pictures!
Kevin

I like to see them original.

C.W. Coach has a pile of trim if you want to take the time to look. I picked up a piece there and modified it for my use.

Mark, I have several trends of thought, if you care to read them.

1 Generally, I opt for original colors on a regular car. Somehow, no matter what color they are, they all look nice once they are done. Usually this would be my preference on a professional car too, with exceptions.

2 It is my belief that some professional cars were color-changed early in their life and in some instances maybe even at the coachbuilder, or at least two-toned. With that in mind, I agree with an earlier statement that it really doesn't matter what color you paint it, as long as it is done well.

3 Perhaps another idea would be to paint the car in it's original tan color and then add another color, either to the roof, or below the belt line, or even in the middle above the belt line. Tan is generally a color that is neutral and lends itself very well to being compatable with many colors.

I hope I gave you some food for thought. I sure would like to see a picture of the car now and I definately would like to see it done! Lots of luck with it!

My 2 cents

Hi Mark...original is good provided you are happy with the choice. What colour is the interior? As Ed mentioned, some color schemes just don't work with a particular interior so you are limited in your choices.

My Lifeliner started out white/red/white and has a red/white interior. When I got it, it was white over Omaha orange. I settled on white over black to match the color scheme of Metropolitan Ambulance in Vancouver BC (prior to 1974). I've also lettered it in the Metro script.

As with most things, in the end do what gives you the most satisfaction and what you'll be able to live with. Even a modest repaint with minimal body work will cost you a hefty sum.

Please share some pictures of you car and progress with us! Good luck.

Mark: Bill raises the possibility of painting your car to match a service provider close to you of the day. Locals who see the car will appreciate the look.
I echo the comments above, there are a lot of red/white cars (take me for instance), so to see a more unique colour is nice.
In the end ask yourself what you would really like to own and that should be your choice.

thanks everyone for your ideas and thoughts, I don't really mind the color the car is and it has a tan/white interior, so I could do tan/white or just go back the original tan color throughout. I've found some history on the car from Superior and this is what I know so far, the car is it's orginal color was order that way for GE as a plant ambulance in North Carolina and I purchased the car a few miles away indirectly from the farmer who was using it to store and transport hay to his cattle, "Geeeeezzzzzzzz" he had also place a large set of bull horns to the hood and I gasp over what he was thinking. Anyway, the car has 36K miles, is still all orginal, in decent shape does have a few spots of surface rust, but the frame and majority of the body is very good and straight, one rear fender skirt is rough and bent up but can be fixed I do believe. As soon as I figure out how to post a picture of it I will and I have acouple other ambulances I will start on as soon as the Cadi is finished. I also have a 1976 Superior Chevy Van with a slide side door, a 1971 Chevy Raised roof suburban, a 1968 ford country sedan wagon fire chiefs car and a 1973 Ford Extended cab truck that was a sheriff's department truck. Lots of work to do for sure!

www.firsthealth.myzija.com

Original Colors or......

We're close to starting restoration on my 75 Lifeliner. It is white over red. I'm planning on doing my usual white red white. Cotillion white, 1960 Pontiac/GM flame Red and cotillion white. I'm sticking with this so it matches my fire trucks. I do admire different colors though....so I guess the bottom line is to not worry too much about what others think. Good luck and take lots of pictures!
Kevin

Like Kevin.... Our Focus was "Matching" Our Existing Red & White Fire Engines / Trucks. With Our 1973 S&S Medic Mark-I that Bruce-B has now, it came red and white from it's original (Fort Wright, KY FD) Omaha Orange. We changed it's Omaha Orange interior to black to match the dash. The headliner was already white and in perfect condition, so we left that alone.

Our X-Moffat County General Hospital (Craig, CO) 1956 Meteor-Cadillac Ambulance came Painted White over "Mary-K Pink" (so they could see it in snowy conditions) so it wasn't much of hard choice to repaint it red and white. MM

Back