Gas tank for 1958 Cadillac Limo

Just got a 1958 Cadillac Imperial Sedan Limousine. Gas tank has some major dent damage and is leaking. Want to replace it.

The Limo has a 149 inch wheelbase which puts it in between the Series 62 (127" Wheelbase) and the Commercial Chassis at 156" Wheelbase. I want to get a new tank. I think the Commercial Chassis uses a different gas tank, not sure.

What tank do I need to get and where?

Thanks in advance,
Bill

Attachments

• P1030109 (Custom).JPG
    P1030109 (Custom).JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 262
Suggestion

Ace Radiator
2319 W Coliseum Blvd.
Fort Wayne, IN 46808

(260) 484-0441 , Ask for JOHN, Tell him that "Tom with the hearses" recommended them.

They did a wonderful repair, including sealing the interior of the tank, on a horribly rusted out fuel tank on my '39 Eureka LaSalle. They'll take good care of you. I've been doing business with them for years.

simple check to see what is in. if it's a triangle tank off on the left side it's a standard tank out of the a 57. this is what was used on the 58 CC. as it's a 75 I'm betting it's the square tank in the center . that would be the 58 tank which was used in the CC from 1959 to 1970. both use the same fuel sending unit. the big difference being that the 58 had a return line the 57 does not. just got one off e-bay and the sending unit for this 58 here. 550.00 free shipping. they both have been reproduce but Inline Tube only has the 58 tank. classic has both of them also. there tank was less but the sending unit more and then shipping

simple check to see what is in. if it's a triangle tank off on the left side it's a standard tank out of the a 57. this is what was used on the 58 CC. as it's a 75 I'm betting it's the square tank in the center . that would be the 58 tank which was used in the CC from 1959 to 1970. both use the same fuel sending unit. the big difference being that the 58 had a return line the 57 does not. just got one off e-bay and the sending unit for this 58 here. 550.00 free shipping. they both have been reproduce but Inline Tube only has the 58 tank. classic has both of them also. there tank was less but the sending unit more and then shipping

John, here is the picture of the tank. Someone tried to fix the top with bondo.

Attachments

• 20140520_135731 (Large).jpg
    20140520_135731 (Large).jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 231
standard 58 tank. feed and return line front right corner vent and fill lower left rear. here is a pair of 58 commercial chassis tanks. you can see the one on the left has the same problem as yours. the liquidate steel repair.

Attachments

• IMG_0363a.jpg
    IMG_0363a.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 201
Thanks ever again, John. I will look for a standard gas tank. I appears that only a 1958 tank will work. The 57 are triangular, the 59 are center fill, not left fill.

Maybe this is why they are $500 and a Chevvy is about $125. But, guess I'll bite the bullet and get one, and a sending unit.

Thanks for all the replies. Just want to update.

I have found a local shop that renews gas tanks. They are taking mine, pulling out the larger dents, soaking it in a vat, removing inside and outside rust.

Then lining the inside of the tank with a thick liquid. Two days and $150. Guaranteed not to leak or rust again.

Hopefully picking it up on Monday, or Tuesday.

I just tossed one of them fixed for life tanks. But you keep gas in it it should last awhile. If a man was keeping the car the new tank would be the way to go. We got ours in today.

I just tossed one of them fixed for life tanks. But you keep gas in it it should last awhile. If a man was keeping the car the new tank would be the way to go. We got ours in today.

John, a friend bought one of those aftermarket new tanks and the construction was nowhere near as good as the original tank. Thinner gage metal and the screw holes where you tighten down the sending unit were poorly done and easily stripped. The vendor would not accept a return.

Will let you all know how I like mine when I get it back.

Here is the company doing mine.
http://www.hapevilleradiator.net/index.html

They have done work for classic car friends and everyone has been pleased.

Don't know if its too late, but I ordered my tank from www.tanksinc.com, you might look and see what they have for yours.
My tank is close enough, and it has a place for the fill neck to go on either side. Did have to contact them about a question, and they responded very quick and were very helpful first time out.

Don't know if its too late, but I ordered my tank from www.tanksinc.com, you might look and see what they have for yours.
My tank is close enough, and it has a place for the fill neck to go on either side. Did have to contact them about a question, and they responded very quick and were very helpful first time out.

I have already contracted to get my tank renewed, but I have other 1958 Cadillacs and may get another. Sent email.

John, a friend bought one of those aftermarket new tanks and the construction was nowhere near as good as the original tank. Thinner gage metal and the screw holes where you tighten down the sending unit were poorly done and easily stripped. The vendor would not accept a return.

Will let you all know how I like mine when I get it back.

Here is the company doing mine.
http://www.hapevilleradiator.net/index.html

They have done work for classic car friends and everyone has been pleased.

The place I got mine for the 49 (listed in a previous post) was identical, even the gauge of metal.

the one we got for the 58 CC was the same as the two originals I have here. same set of lines inside the take and all the same holes. the only difference is the new re pop one is painted were the factory ones were not.

Attachments

• IMG_0474a.jpg
    IMG_0474a.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0484a.jpg
    IMG_0484a.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0492 (2)a.jpg
    IMG_0492 (2)a.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 100

Herb John, for what car and what tank did you order? They have very good prices ($250), but no Cadillac tanks. They suggested I look at a Buick tank, but the fill opening is in the wrong place.

Hapeville Radiator says my tank too hard to fix and suggests I find a new one. Back in the market.

Tanksinc has very good prices -- $200-$250, as opposed to $500-$600 -- but not a direct fit. Biggest problem seems to be that most cars have the filler entering the upper part of the driver's side of the tank and Cadillac has the filler pipe entering the bottom of the driver's side. a 1954 Buick is close, but not sure the filler would clear the frame.

Auto classics may be the answer. But the tank in their picture looks wrong. The place where the sending uint attaches looks like it comes out instead of going in.

I am also looking a a 1.75" Filler tube.

Still looking.

go with the correct tank you will never regret it. I got this one off e-bay from a seller named tomsclassic. I see he has the 58 tanks also but he is a little more proud of them. inline tube is one more source along with the one mentioned in this thread. there are a few services that will rebuild your tank also. I believe one of them was mentioned. a 5 gal can will fit up front of the radiator we ran this 58 that way for 8 years or so.but it's not handy.

go with the correct tank you will never regret it. I got this one off e-bay from a seller named tomsclassic. I see he has the 58 tanks also but he is a little more proud of them. inline tube is one more source along with the one mentioned in this thread. there are a few services that will rebuild your tank also. I believe one of them was mentioned. a 5 gal can will fit up front of the radiator we ran this 58 that way for 8 years or so.but it's not handy.

I think you got it, "go with the correct tank." $500 is irritatingly expensive when a Chevy tank is $125 or so. But, Cadillacs are more rare and only a 1958 Cadillac tank will fit a 1958 Cadillac. I have seen Tomsclassic on eBay, time to order the tank. Thanks for helping me make this decision.

Just checked out Tomsclassic on Ebay an amazing assortment of repro even reasonably priced stainless tank for a Ford. Found new tank with straps for 51 to 56 Packards again price reasonable. Worth checking out for non pro car stuff. Quite a seller.

Back