Another Old Building

Patrick J. Martin

PCS Life Member/Illini Chapter President
Sarah Snook's recent post showing the former Riddle Coach building inspired me to share these photos I took this past weekend of the former Milwaukee Casket Co. building.

I feel negligent in admitting that I didn't know of this building until an attendee at last year's International Meet told me about it, but he didn't remember exactly where it was. An internet search revealed nothing, and months went by before I got a lead. A piece of Milwaukee Casket Co. letterhead appeared on ebay, and the company's address was printed on the letterhead. Finally! Or so I thought. I could not find a street by that name anywhere in the Milwaukee area. A couple more months pass by before I finally got the break I needed. I happened to come across a list of then-and-now Milwaukee streets that have been renamed over the years. Sure enough, the street the casket company building is on got renamed at some point in time.

So this past weekend I set out to find the building, and success! If anyone else wants to see the building for themselves, it is at the present-day intersection of N. 15th St & W. St. Paul Ave. Ironically, its only blocks from the Pabst Mansion, which was a tour stop during the Milwaukee International Meet!

Attachments

• MilwaukeeCasket2.jpg
    MilwaukeeCasket2.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 158
  • MilwaukeeCasket3.jpg
    MilwaukeeCasket3.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 156
  • MilwaukeeCasket1.jpg
    MilwaukeeCasket1.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 157
Back