New Money Pit

roof beacon

I still have the "plain Jane" roof beacon from a '67 USAF low=headroom Pontiac, if you are interested..........and speaking of the Air Force, that nice BLUE interior makes me think........Air Force, instead of Navy?:rolleyes:

I still have the "plain Jane" roof beacon from a '67 USAF low=headroom Pontiac, if you are interested..........and speaking of the Air Force, that nice BLUE interior makes me think........Air Force, instead of Navy?:rolleyes:

Dan, sounds like it might be a good beacon, do you have a picture of it?

Looking for history/photos

I would like to know the history and see a photo of this ambulance when it was "in service"

Here is what I can tell you, this ambulance served somewhere in Mariposa County, California from when it was retired from the military, until about 1977.
It then served as a school mascot and parade vehicle, somewhere in the area of Mariposa County, or Sacramento.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

I would like to know the history and see a photo of this ambulance when it was "in service"

Here is what I can tell you, this ambulance served somewhere in Mariposa County, California from when it was retired from the military, until about 1977.
It then served as a school mascot and parade vehicle, somewhere in the area of Mariposa County, or Sacramento.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Bill,
"If" this rig was a Air Force ambulance,Castle Air Force base is real close to Mariposa county.It is located in Atwater which is aprx 30-35 miles from Mariposa county.

Mariposa county is aprx 110 miles from Sacramento (which is where I live).
I dont ever recall seeing a mascot or parade unit in Sacramento,of course who really knows....

There are/were 2 AFB bases here in town ,McClellan and Mather.McClellan
had a clinic/infirmary and Mather had its own small hospital.

Each base had its own ambulances,and as such I do remember in the mid to late 70s there were several AF ambulances in private ownership,was yours one of them ? perhaps....

MY thought and opinion would be that it was not in Sacramento but rather in the central valley near Castle AFB in Atwater or Merced.
Just my $.02 worth.:)

Data Plate Info

In an effort to trace the history of this ambulance, I am putting the info from the data plate here. I know we have some experts here, so I am asking for your assistance please. Thank you in advance for your help.

Model 65-207G

Body 258

Sill P-187

Date of Production 5-21-65

Does this tell us anything, other than the obvious?

plan

alright bill, come clean. whats the plan. retail red? navy gray? the suspence is more than we bargained for. naysayers be damned. fix it nice and sell it if you want as the locating and restoring is the fun. your money after all.

alright bill, come clean. whats the plan. retail red? navy gray? the suspence is more than we bargained for. naysayers be damned. fix it nice and sell it if you want as the locating and restoring is the fun. your money after all.

Well, we first need to get it home. Then we can figure out what we will do with it, as far as color, etc. But, my guess is that we won't be making any quick decisions.

Bill.. Do you know if the military data plate is still on the dash? That will give you a lot of information, and you can possibly get additional information by making a Freedom of Information Act request, based on the dash plate info.

Bill.. Do you know if the military data plate is still on the dash? That will give you a lot of information, and you can possibly get additional information by making a Freedom of Information Act request, based on the dash plate info.

Thanks Paul! Apparently, there is no military identification on the dash, or anywhere. That is surprising, isn't it?

It could have been been at Golden Valley High School in Merced, CA. Their colors match the car. (209) 385-8000 is the number for the high school.

Back