A Fabled Fleet.....a massive "rescue"......

Cary Livingston

Southeastern Chapter President
There was a funeral home in Georgia that had a fascinating secret lying within it's 8 car garage. What was more interesting is they ran 70's vintage coaches right up to the time of the business closing in 2004. There is a huge story here that is slowly being written as more information regarding this fabled fleet comes to light. Very few knew of this treasure trove of procar history.....tucked away like time forgot them....and it did......till now. The first 3 and the last 3 procars of a business that spanned more than 70 years.

This was a "rescue" of epic proportions. All cars are accounted for in caring hands now. Moving this fleet around took numerous haulers and a great deal of patience. The first is a 75 MM Landau traditional with a mere 19k original miles. This car went to a "car guy" who had visions of using the virgin drivetrain in a streetrod...thankfully that didn't happen but sadly the car sat out back at his cattle ranch. It did not fare well as you can see but it was "rescued" in the nick of time before it deteriorated any further. Rescue #1.

Looks hateful.....but...
75428b_zps5388f386.jpg

One down.....
tease5_zps49308d3f.jpg

After 6 weeks of work (an hour or 2 at a time is all I can do anymore while juggling other interests), running a buttload of bad gas out of it, numerous repairs with a car that sat 10 years and a new fondness why I like S&S's better...here it is today.

75428_zps22ff10f4.jpg

The rest of the fleet is now in good hands after a lot of finagling, dickering,
and logistical issues. I am thankful for some TRUE friends in our "group" that helped make this all happen. It was a lot of work for all of us but the rewards have been worth it. Some of these cars haven't seen daylight since the 50's. More information will be forthcoming.:p

The dust,the mystique......
tease6c_zps885249f1.jpg

2 more heading up the road...and....
tease6b_zpsa4b23747.jpg

mr-bean_zps1b3a8b8d.gif

As rear bumpers of '74-'76 models tend to catch and not drain moisture, the bumper of this '75 appears to be pretty good. I can't wait to see more detailed photos of the oldest 3 that you posted as a teaser. I'm intrigued by the resting post or step that appears beneath the rear door of the '50's model coach. I certainly want to know what those other two oldies are! Good save, and congratulations and thanks to all of you who helped save some rare cars.

As rear bumpers of '74-'76 models tend to catch and not drain moisture, the bumper of this '75 appears to be pretty good.

The rear and front bumpers on the 75 are to die for. Sparse usage and salt free roads made for about as close to NOS as one could get. Same with lower rear quarters other than scattered gravel flinging behind skirts ....flawless. NO Rust in front fenders. I cant lie and say it wasn't rust free (obviously)but all in all I discovered maybe 2 square inches of rust through. If the 75 sat out much longer I would of passed on it. The others were quickly unloaded...and either put away for when more time allows or proper unveilings.

Well....now now that I am caught up on stuff around here I can waste more time on the interweb again....here and there. Back to the "fleet". As many of you saw the 40 Meteor "debuted" in Asheville a mere 4 weeks after being rescued. I will let Darryl post some pics of it. I meant to take the car for a spin but time just didnt allow it....that will come later in the month. The 75 after being rescued in middle March from the cattle ranch actually made it to Asheville and back under it's own power....barely. Some minor vapor locking issues which I can solve this week and a clogged fuel filter before the pump were the only issues. New Kuhmo Extra Loads made this baby float over the mountains and she cruised wonderfully. I need to lube the speedometer cable as well cuz she wailed like......well nuff on that. I will have unemcumbered access to the "vault" this next week so the process begins on the next "rescue" as the 75 gets closer to finding a new home. Asheville was interesting on another front as it was discovered that Bill Head actually worked for this firm in the early 60's :eek:. More information is being found as well about this fabulous "lost fleet".

75mm42814aa_zps2892ca4c.jpg

In between my daily routine some time was allocated for the 51...the process begins....pulled plugs and valve covers....start the saturation process with Marvel Mystery Oil...reminds me of "playing" with cars 40 years ago when we would pickup up some alley, garage or carport find in St Pete Florida that had sat for ages. Now to order a fuel pump kit, carb kit, brake parts etc. The motor is so clean and doesnt appear to of ever been touched. Original paint on motor with the white Cadillac scripts still showing. The "new" gas tank for now will be a 2 gallon Snapper riding mower tank :yum: until I have the energy to drop the tank. :D

It is so rare to find an engine compartment in such virginal condition. These were the before shots...this car is a pure joy to work on . :)

51enginecompart4_zpsb15b19f5.jpg

Note the OLD OLD Willard 6V battery...
51enginecompart3_zpsc9f6a19e.jpg

51enginecompart2_zpsd340017d.jpg

51enginecompart1_zpse86a7d2c.jpg

There are more mud dauber nests under this thing than.....oops lemme bite me tongue:p I better not say it. Seriously.....I think the car will lose 50 pounds when I get all the dauber nests and .01239% of Habersham Countys red clay cleaned out from under this thing.

Cary, I installed red parking light lens on this 51 in 1960 also a flasher under the hood somewhere see if the lens and flasher survived?

I was amazed at how Bill Head was talking about driving and working on those cars as if they were something he worked on last month, not 48 years ago !!!

Bill sure has a great memory and is an even great man !
Sure was good seeing him and his wife at the PCS SE Chapter meet.

Two long time PCS members and I am proud to call them my friends.

:thumbsup:

Darren

Seeing that beast with all its doors open and well equipped with stretcher and all at the Meet in NC was awesome !

I love the look of the original front seat and the old look of everything still in place.

Cool find and made a great display too,
Darren

:thumbsup:

Back