bad day at black rock

Status
Not open for further replies.

John ED Renstrom

PCS Member
Super Site Supporter
yesterday i changed the power steering hose on the 73. if you have never done this it can be a messy chore. I then cleaned off the engine with the power washer and let it run long enough to warm up and test things. got in it this morning to move it and it would barely run. you know all the thoughts that are going threw my head. anyway I blew out the distributor and around the base of the points . no water in there I could see. tried it again still the same. so went up to the top. cleaned the ends and the holes out. tried it again. you guessed it. same thing but then she back fired. blew the new muffler wide open. still no run. put a set of points in it and it sings like a singer. moral of the story is if your going to put a set of points in don't do the made in the south land 25 dollar ones. put in a set of points. then this after noon some deer decided to run over my truck as I was going down town. a can't win day. if it had not been for Robert's phone call and the notice that they gov was aware they still owe me 1600 bucks back pay and that they would be getting around to paying it sometime the day would have been a total bust. I did get the 73 plumbed to the rear heater at least. closer to driving it to the big city one inch at a time.
http://www.dropshots.com/jer57747#date/2009-05-02/12:31:06

Glad to hear that you received at least a little good news.

Even though it took a while, at least you figured out what the problem was and got coach running.

I replaced my points on my 73 a number of times, at least four times. I finally got a points eliminator put on. Haven't had any problem. I also replaced the power steering hose. I didn't think I would ever get it on and finally got it and couldn't get it tighten, but that fixed now too.

I replaced my points on my 73 a number of times, at least four times. I finally got a points eliminator put on. Haven't had any problem. I also replaced the power steering hose. I didn't think I would ever get it on and finally got it and couldn't get it tighten, but that fixed now too.

did you put in the crane or the Pertronic's one. I have one of each on the 72's I like the crane best for putting in. and I would tell anyone keeping one of these old cars to make this swap. but keep a good set of points and the wire in the glove box just in case. the solid state devices have been known to quit on you to. forgot to add the pictures for those that don't want to scroll threw them

Attachments

• IMG_5294.JPG
    IMG_5294.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_5297.JPG
    IMG_5297.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 124
I'd say that the muffler should be replaced as a warranted item. No way that the muffler should blow apart with one backfire. I have had cars backfire many times in the past, and never have I ever seen a muffler blow apart like the one pictured.
As for the points, I have found that as the replacement parts have become less expensive, so has the quality. I used to buy points from NAPA that were branded Echlin, but NAPA has discontinued that line of parts. They were of good quality, and the point contacts were large and well aligned. Even the replacement GM parts are now much poorer quality. I look for replacements at swap meets, and buy the older USA made parts whenever possible. In my opinion, the only good thing that has ever come from China or Mexico is the food recipes, and even some of those are questionable......... :D

more power strg hoses

Must be like the flu bug of pro cars. What is up with all of us replacing power steering hoses? I put new ones on the 61. The original high pressure hose was seeping. Making a mess under the hood. It took a crows foot wrench, some praying, lots of rags, and some 'kind' words but once it broke lose from the steering gear it was an easy job. Today the new points and plugs went in. The list of things to do is getting smaller. I wonder what will have to be put ON the list before I am done. Do you ever really get done/
Mike

I believe that there are only two types of power steering hoses on old cars.. Those that already are leaking, and those that will spring a leak at the most inopportune time. I replace the power steering hoses on all newly acquired vehicles, since I know that a power steering hose that starts spraying oil on the engine is a fire in the making. Cheap insurance to know that your prized car isn't going to go up in flames on the highway. Also a good time to change all the old power steering fluid and the return hose. After I changed the fluid and hoses on my Chrysler last year, the pump itself has started to leak. This repair is on the short list to be taken care of before I head out to Flint.

I had to really look close at that first picture just to figure out what it was. You really did a job on that muffler!

I'd say that the muffler should be replaced as a warranted item. No way that the muffler should blow apart with one backfire ...
As you mention with the points, the newer mufflers must be the same poor quality. I had a muffler that looked almost identical to the one pictured. Mine just happened to be because of the points also.

We were returning from a show in Charlotte, NC one year in my 1973 Ford and she started missing and loosing power going up the highway. Decided to get off at the next exit and check it out. Half way up the exit ramp, she loaded up so bad that the backfire scared the heck out me and left me with a muffler split wide open. After some checking and lucky that there was a parts store right at the exit, we replaced the points and made the rest of the trip home... a little louder than we starter out, but made it home. Since then, I always carry a spare set of points and wire in the glove box.

the muffler is a good double walled one I really went. had to been just right mix of fuel and air. I have never see on go like that . it was wedge agents the floor and on the ground. but boy does she ever cackle now. i have to agree with you on the points. the one I but in were 30 year old NAPA ones. good stuff. but today I went out to the park with mom and Dad and we watched the baby buffalo we'll tackle the car again tomorrow.. my son said about 500 and the mirror for the truck. he is doing the paint less dent repair but is down in Alabama right now chasing hail. we'll get a mirror on and live with it till he gets home. been driving for 44 years steady now eat a lot of beef stake off those deer his never had one my self got two in this year all ready if your interested the pictures are on today's drop shot just use the same link and go up a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back