the maiden voyage

Rocky Fluegge

PCS Member
Funny thing yesterday is I took my car out for its maiden voyage to see how it rides down the road. I was not sure if the gas gauge was working since it was so low. Well guess what it did work. I guess it was a nice day for a walk to the station. A guy who was cutting his grass near by was like " I hope there is no one back there". Once I got fuel back in her she drove very nice. But there is a few things I need to address before I can make it a regular daily driver.

Attachments

• IMG_20140525_104337321.jpg
    IMG_20140525_104337321.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 308
Beautiful coach Rocky! There is one thing that I have learned over the years, these cars run much better with gas in them.

Don't trust the gauge

The dealer I bought my 73 from years ago warned me no to let the gauge get below 1/4. He said everyone he had was off. Sure enough on night I ran out at an 1/8, on the way to the gas station.

The dealer I bought my 73 from years ago warned me no to let the gauge get below 1/4. He said everyone he had was off. Sure enough on night I ran out at an 1/8, on the way to the gas station.

This is so true with my 72 Superior Hightop, one minute it isat 1/4 , next on fumes......

We all need to find out just where it runs out. ran the 92 20 miles with the low fule light flashing put 5 gal of etoh in it to get back home. it jumped up to over a 1/4 tank. The joys of a new car Just how much is left in it.

Been there done that !

My 73 has done that to me too !

It is a heavy car to try to push. Not recommended at all.

From full, fill up every 2.5 hours of driving so it doesn't happen again.

Darren

My experience with coaches is similar to Scott's. I have run out of gas several times without a spare can in the back and it's no fun. The most notable time was in '92 bringing my newly purchased '63 Eureka combination from the Minneapolis area. I had a badly sprained wrist at the time, had to start the car and even shift using my left hand the entire trip. On Rt. 30, the home stretch between Chicago and Fort Wayne, the gauge showed above empty and boom...... sputter to the side of the road in the middle of nowhere. Now, no matter what, I carry a can with 2 gallons with me.

A lot safer, and a lot easier to start looking for a filling station when the gauge reaches 1/2 tank.

DON'T CARRY GAS IN YOUR VEHICLE would you carry a bomb in the back? Only if you are a terrorist. The risk is far too great a leak fumes and BOOM!!! A hit puncture and a torch. GET THAT CAN OUT OF THERE. That said my policy with older Cadillacs is set the trip indicator to zero on a fill and fill again 175 to 200 miles. Safe and no sputter to the side and stand out there putting gas in on the left side of the Coach waiting for a drunk to ride you and the gas can down the road on the front of his vehicle. PLEASE GUYS GET THE GAS CAN OUT OF THERE.

My '69 was really hard to gauge too- which was problematic with me always avoiding those expensive gas trips... ran out of gas a number of times :rolleyes:

Back