Happy dance in connecticut

IT TOOK A YEAR, but with Rich's Help in PA we actually found that windshield for our 1952 Cadillac Superior Ambulance Restoration, Project

There is no feeling comparable to that waiting, SEARCHING, 100'S OF EMAILS phone calls, pleading for help and then the FIND !!!

We still want to IDENTIFY the windshield and not take this moment for granted...and yes it is in MINT condition

The GM folks at the GM Heritage Cultural Center in Mich. said it def. was not a Cadillac windshield 141 146 or the DW147 IT WAS ACTAULLY PUT IN BY Superior Coach .... I have a few theories...Superior's Owners Manual Identifies 2 different windsheilds in their parts boko, but it does not cross reference anything

The Journey Continues

John G & TEAM HUNTER'S

So what is the correct number? Some one else is going to have the same problem later. What model do you have. That info should be on the superior tag

Great news John! It is just so typical of the members of the PCS and this forum to help everybody out in their time of need.

back @ ya ! WINDSHIELD-GLASS

Soon as I find that glass # You'll have it.. Even before we found that glass, I sent Pilkinton Glass Corp. in ENGLAND and email looking for help.. never heard nothing back.they've been around since 1826 I believe . I just emailed Corp. PPG , again they've been around forever also. Both companies have lots of cool history about glass... My training in SAR looking for missing people has HELPED... You don't always look for the person, but the CLUES leading to them..So what do we know?:
1. GLASS DW 141,146 & 147 does not fit as all thought it would, specifically DW147
2. We're told that Cadillac sent Superior the vehicle particially assembled up to the cowl.. GM historical people said Superior used their own windshield

I even saw someone selling a wiondshield DW 147-C, whihc got me thinking -was there a DW147 -Commercial Windshield ??

Do you really think Superior would have had 1600 windshields made for the 1952 model year? or possible use another GM model year windsheild that goes to another make/model vehicle. Why spend money redesigning/ reinventing

when we 1st got our car it had 593 written on the windshield, most likely the salvage yard up in No Dakota. Someone told me yards numbered junks coming in.. But I thought WHAT IF that was actually a WINDSHIELD # So I started looking up DW 593....it also lead me to a Rambler /NASH and the shields look similiar...

YES, we have the windshield, but its identity remains a mystery I can't give up... Now to look for a replacement Front VENT window frame it's MIA, also rebuilding spot lights, soon as electrical is done, marine plywood gets socked down, commercial vinyl glued down, then we can give it to thr UPHOLSTR GUYS

John
Ps. Middletown Glass here in CT. has someone on staff that does glass etching/BLASTING and was able to duplicate PERFECTLY one of the side windows of the ambulance I mean it was MINT!!
Pss. We still do have those RED roof bullet lens along with the 2- roof tear drop rotors with red glass lens.. to offer UP... After I ordered up 1 - front directional light BUCKET ended up finding the one that was missing, so thats UP.. WE STILL NEED A CHROME front fender "Superior" Script

it is always nice when things fall together. you probity picked the only year out of the 50's that superior wanted a taller roof on there ambulance. but yes back then making a custom run for them may not have been that big a deal.
the wing wold be taller also. but it would not have been a commercial glass it would be a special order glass. or like you though a standard glass out of a different make of car. you get a number and one can tell. but don't do the happy dance till it's in.

Back