The Riddle Coach building today

Sarah Snook

PCS Life Member
I decided to take some of the side roads when driving back from Youngstown today. During my trip through Ravenna, I had to stop at the stoplight at the intersection of SR-44 and SR-59. I noticed that you can still see some of the fading paint from the Riddle Coach sign, so I took a pic of it to share here. If you scroll down to the bottom of the linked page, you can see this building in all its glory in the last picture. http://thomasriddle.net/cah/articles/riddle_plant_swept_by_fire_1903.html

Attachments

• image-13807727.jpg
    image-13807727.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 477
Incredible photo Sarah !

Thanks for sharing this with everyone.

Other than Patrick making a Riddle Box car, there has been very little info on the Riddle Hearse Co.

Seeing the old paint on the building is fantastic !

Such a cool piece of history,
Darren

:thumbsup:

Photos

If any of you are ever through Lafayette, IN. I have original photos of some Riddle coaches, both horsedrawn and motorized. I would copy and show them on here , but I had them all professionaly mounted and framed in one big frame. (Not to smart I guess) . Anyway, I figured they were original sales samples maybe? If I can, I will try to make a meet this summer and bring them with.

Thanks!
Rich Groeber
Hahn-Groeber Funeral Homes
Lafayette, IN.

The nice part of the technology around today is it's easy to take pictures of pictures. Most of your digital cameras will do it acceptably.

Nice photo, and thanks for the wonderful link! I love old buildings, this and the one Patrick posted. Some of the best detail is often at the top where no one pauses to look up. Out here in WA I found a Riddle coach wagon step in an antique store, but I have since seen several on-line. I found a current photo of what was the Chrysler dealer in Nebraska City where my coach was sold, and I have photos of the Allied / Richard Brothers (Briarean) coachbuilding plants - I should post the Google streetview of what it looks like now. I have a few childhood photos from when we lined in Ravenna in the mid-60's, on Arsenal land. Through the Reed Library the Arsenal librarian recently sent me a vintage photo of the farmhouse we lived in, address EE154. I would like to think I have seen the Riddle building in my childhood (the first of many formative professional car encounters) maybe when we went bowling, or shopping at the Big D in Warren(?)*
[*Totally random intact memory neurons.]

Last edited:
Back