1960 Superior hearse (AUSTRALIA)

Getting lightheaded merely thinking of trying to come up with a commercial chassis '59 or '60 dash for conversion, knowing how difficult a decent standard one can be alone. Yeesh.

Do like splash of color added to wheel covers. Nice touch to otherwise boring caps.

Getting lightheaded merely thinking of trying to come up with a commercial chassis '59 or '60 dash for conversion, knowing how difficult a decent standard one can be alone. Yeesh.

Do like splash of color added to wheel covers. Nice touch to otherwise boring caps.

Atti,

what is the difference between standard dash pads and one for commercial chassis? I thought they were the same. See like we were talking always learning something new.

This was Neil Gray's coach.. The restoration, including the RHD conversion, was completed in Australia just over 20 years ago. Here's a few pics I shot back then...

I was given the opportunity to drive it once or twice.

Interestingly enough, at that time there were four 1960 Cadillac pro-cars in Australia, one of each coach-builder! You can guess what happened to the M-M... :rolleyes:

Tom, the A/C was sourced from a '"regular" '60 and installed during the restoration.

If I recall correctly, this coach was located in CA and shipped to Australia in the mid-late '80s and used in a music video before undergoing the restoration and conversion. It originally wore Cream paint with a Brown crinkle top and body-color hubcap centers, as depicted in this b/w factory photograph -

There was a 1960 Eureka in the Brisbane area at a fellows sisters. I don't know if that one is still available. I will go over some old emails and see if I have any info.

We exported wrecked cars mostly Mustangs to Australia in the early 70s. All had to be converted to right hand drive. All states in Australia require right hand drive to register the vehicle the exception being ACT you can have a left hand drive car there. Many collector cars from the USA are registered there. There are shops there to only do conversions and they are quite resourceful make some beautiful jobs. We even sent a 69 Lincoln over and were told don't send another they never saw so many wires. The 60 Cadillac WITH AC indeed was a challenge for the converters imagine trying to make a right hand dash top. We can't even find someone to restore a cracked one.

Agreed. 1960 and 1973 had to be the worst wheel covers ever designed for Cadillacs!

Not so anymore Peter. Any car that is 30 or more years old can be registered in all states. All my Cadillacs retain their left hand drive as do 99% of the cars in the Cadillac LaSalle club here. Some of the clubs cars can be seen in the movie The Great Gatsby which was filmed here.

What is the reasoning for moving the shift lever to the left side, and reversing the order of the transmission positions on the dash?

Attachments

• $_20.jpg
    $_20.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 173
I can see the possible thinking on the gearshift switch. 1) linkage may be easier to run, 2) so someone getting in or out of the vehicle will be less likely to knock it out of gear.
As for the indicator I didn't even notice that, good eye. The only thing I can think of changing it is either the way the linkage works after the conversion, or some law there that says it has to be in that order? Just a guess, no proof to back it up. Normal for that year (for those that do not know) would be P-N-D-L-R
I do have a FB friend in Australia, will contact him, maybe he can give a reason.

it that way because the lever now operates that way. most of your left hand conversion none of the components were changed they just used a remote to actuate the say master cylinder where it is. moving the lever to the other side was accomplished by rotating the column 180 deg. they then wanted the transmission in park in the up position not down. steering is normally a gear on the end of the shaft and a chain over to the steering sector. back in the mid 50s GM did produce a right hand drive for export with everything moved to the left the only one I ever sat in was a three speed stick shift. I rode in the left seat of a 55 chevy from where the ship docked to Bangkok Thailand. that was weird.

Back