62 Eureka Hearse low oil pressure

I removed the oil pan again and put in a rebuilt oil pump. I cleaned out the pick up with solvent and compressed air. Put in 10W 40W and now get a little better pressure. Thicker oil is no solution. Thanks for advice on oil Paul.
Hot 10PSI idle and 26PSI on the freeway.

By the way. Putting in shims to stiffen the bypass relief spring will get you
100PSI cold which you dont want and then the same low oil pressure hot that you had before. At least that was my experience. Removed this pan soo many times.

And yes I do have a mechanical oil pressure gauge under the hood.
Reason I have been concerned with oil pressure is after thousands to remove, get machined, rebuilt and reinstall I dont want to do it again for some time.
Oil flow for cooling bearings and pressure to keep them from contacting the crank is important especially with a 7,300lb Hearse driving up the hill where I live on this little island. Thats alot of load.
This is a daily drive too.
Hopefully 26PSI will be good enough.
Mahalo for all the input.
Ricky Jones

OK now we are getting somewhere. I did not realize the hill issue. You may or may not be aware most cop cars have external engine oil coolers. I am not sure where you would tap in on the 62 engine but I think an external cooler would do much to protect your investment. Back in the day I had a good customer who pulled a a LARGE travel trailer with his Cadllac Convertible. He had us install oil temp guages on both the trans and engine after watching activity similar to the stock market we installed external coolers on both engine and trans. Then the customer got creative he took two windshield washer pumps installed reservoirs with water then a copper tubeing set up with holes drilled in it to spray water on the coolers.On a steep hill he would hit this set up and oil temps dropped 20 degrees. Just a thought for your issue.

Thanks Peter!
Yes I have considered an external oil cooler. We dont live so far
up the hill however.
I think they have cooler that taps in at oil filter at block with adapter installed.

In hot Thailand my 64 Fiat with aftermarket underdash AC would get hot.
Had simular rigged windshield wiper pump that could spray water onto radiator and did temporarily lower temp in a pinch.
Not OEM probabely would have been better fix the heat up issue

Wonder how much oil cooler lowers them temp on daily hot driving?

Thanks again
Ricky

Back