Why I love my pro car

Everyone loves to go to car shows and look at old cars, reminiscing about their first car or exclaiming over the incredible technology of a new car. But why Pro cars? I would love to hear why you love your hearse or ambulance or how you got interested in this field!!

I've been a lifelong enthusiast of these car we know and love I guess I could say! As a small child the funeral homes here were still operating the ambulance services as we were small towns and most were in the "phasing out" stages by this time. This was the early 1980's and the rigs in the area always stuck in my mind and even at the age of 4 or 5 had always wanted one of my own! Most of the funeral homes here operated combination's along with a couple funeral homes having both hightop and lowtop ambulances just as ours operated here. And most of the funeral homes here, including us keep our early 1970's model combination's as funeral coaches well into the mid 1990's. While in high school I stumbled across a story talking about the PCS in about the 1996/1997 time frame and became a member then. I purchased my first pro-car, my 1973 M-M combo in 2001 and also attended my first PCS International Meet the same year then entered the funeral profession in the fall of 2002 and helping in forming the Volunteer Chapter in 2003 and later purchased my 77 M-M Landau Traditional in as well in 2003. Since then I've became a big part of the PCS along with my mom getting involved as well. Between the two of us we have 7 professional cars!

Why?

Because they are cool, thats why! Seriously though, I bought my Lincoln Coach on a whim in 2003 because the PNW Region of the Lincoln Club was getting ready to host the Western National Meet and I stumbled across a for sale listing on the internet for this car & thought that it would be something different to bring to the meet. I knew nothing about hearses or pro cars but had loved big American Luxury cars for quite a few years. While searching for parts, I contacted CW Coach and Carl pointed me towards the PCS and here I am!

Like Jeremy, I've ben a lifelong enthusiast. As far back as I can remember, I have always loved hearses, limousines, ambulances, and anything to do with Professional Cars. I've always ben a big fan of many other types of cars also, but Pro-Cars are nearest to my heart. I got my first Pro-Car in 2001, a 1971 Superior Cadillac Sovereign Combination. I got it from a local Funeral Home, and still owne it today. I found out about the PCS in 2001, when I met Jeremy at a local car show with his 73. I was there showing a truck I had. He told me all about the PCS, and gave me a application. I went home that night filled it out and put it in the mail the next day. One of the best things I ever did. And thats my story.

Josh

my connection to procars

My love of procars came about through my father in law, Cameron Maine. I always like cars but had never given any thought to a procar. I had seen a procar at every funeral I ever attended. When Cam came home from a trip with a 61 M-M we didn't think a thing about it. That was just something Pop did. I think that was in 1973. Pop took best of show with this 61 at the first PCS meet in Cincinnati, Ohio. Pop Maine died in 1998. I think my keeping the 61 now is my way of staying connected with him in some way. I had the best in laws anyone could ever ask for. Pop loved that 61 and now we do to. That is why it has been in the family all these years. That is why it will be with us for many years to come. When my last ride comes I hope it is in the 61.
Mike

Last edited:
I don't know that I have a story so much as an evolution into my pro car interest. I was the kid who always went "oooooohhhhhh" and pointed whenever I saw a hearse drive by, and I just never grew out of that! I remember more than one funeral I was at as a kid, where I wanted to go and check out the hearse, and my parents stopped me because it wasn't proper behavior.

Fast forward to high school and a driver's license and starting to attend car shows, only as spectator at first. At one show, there was a 1951-1954 Henney Packard flower car, and at the time I didn't know what it was. I thought it was someone's custom idea of a Packard El Camino, but I didn't understand the stainless steel deck or the Henney nameplates on the front fenders.

For some reason, I couldn't get that car out of my mind, so I went to my local public library and looked at some Packard books, and learned about Henney being Packard's hearse and ambulance builder. The library also had a copy of "The Black Book", so I checked that out to learn more about the Henney company, and it was there that I learned what a flower car was. I had that book read cover to cover within a week, and my childhood fascination of thinking hearses looked neat turned into a full fledged interest.

Around the same time, my first car (which was just an ordinary car, and the only normal car I've ever owned!) decided it was on its last legs and I should be looking for a replacement. Since I had to go car shopping, I figured I might as well get something interesting. Among the cars I was considering purchasing was a 1980 Superior Cadillac hearse. I actually didn't buy it right away, but it ended up being the car that stuck in my mind, so after a couple weeks, I figured that must be the one that I wanted.

While doing my car shopping, I was also looking online for car ads, and an internet search of "hearse for sale" brought up the PCS website. Like I suppose most people when they discover PCS, my first thought was "there's others into these cars too??!!" Needless to say, it didn't take much time to decide to join, and now I'm a life member and a chapter president!

After joining the club, I began learning about the little coach companies, and it was these little companies with their small production runs that happened to capture the bulk of my interest. I suppose I've always had a weak spot for the unusual, and what could be more automotively unusual than small companies in an already small marketplace?

I am now up to nine pro cars, and except for my 1980 Superior that started the collection, and my Moloney limousine that is my daily driver, they are all either the only one built, one of only two built, or the only one known to be in the United States.

I'm reminded of something I was told once. I had a guy one time make the comment, "For someone who doesn't draw attention to yourself, you sure drive cars that scream look at me." And you know what, I think he's absolutely right!

Back