Converting to dual reservoir master??

Well my '60 S&S brakes need fixing. Last time we pushed her out of the shop, I went for the brakes but we kept on rollin' backwards out maybe 50 feet into the field!

Turns out a brake line got nicked, but it reminded me of a more serious brake failures I had in a '60 Cadillac once. I'd like to upgrade from a single to a dual reservoir master cylinder, but I've never done it before.

Is this a straight forward thing to do? Do I need a new booster as well? Are later Cadillac components compatible with earlier? Any help is appreciated!

Brakes

Well my '60 S&S brakes need fixing. Last time we pushed her out of the shop, I went for the brakes but we kept on rollin' backwards out maybe 50 feet into the field!

Turns out a brake line got nicked, but it reminded me of a more serious brake failures I had in a '60 Cadillac once. I'd like to upgrade from a single to a dual reservoir master cylinder, but I've never done it before.

Is this a straight forward thing to do? Do I need a new booster as well? Are later Cadillac components compatible with earlier? Any help is appreciated!

62 is the first year for factory dual master cylinders in Cadlliac. I bought a 62 limo parts car for the a/c and the brake components to convert my 61 to a/c and dual master cylinder. I would assume and this is a big assumption in dealing with commercial chassis that the brake components from a 62-64 CC or up to 65 75 series would convert a 59-60 to a dual master system I would try and get it all booster etc to use on the 60. Up to 64 and 65 on the limos the 59 cowl was used .I would think you could use the brake components from 62-64 CC and up to a 65 limo. :my2cents:

My 62 Buick and 58 Chevy, and my 69 all have MC's from 68-72 Chevy trucks.

My 62 Buick suffered a failure and with a single MC, that can be hairy. I got a MC from like a 71 or so Chevy truck from NAPA. It had the same bore size and used the standard GM 2 bolt mounting. Bolted right up no problem.

On my 69 when I asked for a MC for a CC hearse it was like "oh my god what do we do its not in the computer!" I said let me see a MC for a 72 Chevy with front disks and rear drums. It was a dead ringer and has been working great for years. Not sure on a 60 but maybe worth taking a look. Get the booster and matching MC from a truck with your brake setup (front/rear drums). If your existing booster is good, take your old MC in and compare the bore size and mounts to a later Chevy pick up. You may find it will work fine. Run new lines and done.

Certainly just my $.02

Back