1940 Ambulance at MECUM

Though you would like to see this 1940 Ambulance from the MECUM auction. What is strange to me is the split radiator. It sold for over $30 grand.

Attachments

• mm2.jpg
    mm2.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 351
  • mm7.jpg
    mm7.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 353
  • mm3.jpg
    mm3.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 343
  • mm1.jpg
    mm1.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 342
  • mm4.jpg
    mm4.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 346
  • mm5.jpg
    mm5.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 347
  • mm8.jpg
    mm8.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 341
  • mm9.jpg
    mm9.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 349
That is a nice rig, sad to see it sell for such a low price unless you are the one who bought it.:) I see that rig as a 2 fold, since its a 1940 Ford I'm sure it has a value and a following on that alone. Then the ambulance side, and the rarity of that . It just seems like it should be worth more than a new KIA.
That might be a benchmark of the value of our rigs? of course each judged on its own merit. Maybe its just the economy, but there are still a lot of people that have that kind of expendable cash.

That is a nice rig, sad to see it sell for such a low price unless you are the one who bought it.:) I see that rig as a 2 fold, since its a 1940 Ford I'm sure it has a value and a following on that alone. Then the ambulance side, and the rarity of that . It just seems like it should be worth more than a new KIA.
That might be a benchmark of the value of our rigs? of course each judged on its own merit. Maybe its just the economy, but there are still a lot of people that have that kind of expendable cash.

Keep your chin up! :) The value of any class of things is not generally influenced by the appraisal, or winning auction bid, of one example. In general it is the trend of prices over time that determines value of a given market. Also, no one should buy a KIA.

you look at the interior pictures and it is need of being redone. my bet is the man that bought is right now wondering what is is going to do with it. we hope he makes for us a good choice and keeps it whole. it looks to be a seabert. I would think they bayed every dime it is worth as a ambulance. yes I would love to have it.

two water pumps and the water jacket is separated in the block to right and left sides. one of fords better ideas that maybe looked good on paper but in application just caused twice as many problems. kind of like a government program.

two water pumps and the water jacket is separated in the block to right and left sides. one of fords better ideas that maybe looked good on paper but in application just caused twice as many problems. kind of like a government program.

Are they able to shut one side down, or bypass if they have a leak on the other side?

Looking at the pictures, I saw that the steering wheel had been replaced with a newer one, and the original generator was replaced with an alternator. I will admit that this deviation from stock could be easily changed back to original, but whenever I see things like this done, I always wonder what else was done, that isn't as obvious. To me, it looks like just enough was done to make the car presentable for sale at the auction, without regard to originality. Hopefully, the person that purchased this car will put it all back to the way that it was originally built, and not hot rod this unit, but as we all know.......... It's his car to do what he wants to do with it. It is also a known fact that now resto-mods are the up and coming thing to do if you want to maximize your return on investment. They cost less to do, and bring a better return than doing a car back to being all original. The true hobby lover of original cars are becoming a rare breed today.

Paul, I echo your sentiment; take solace in the fact that one day the pendulum will swing back, and the originals will be even more rare than they are now....Rare = $$$$

they both run off the same belt as does the generator. the first serpentine belt. I keep telling you guys there is nothing new in the automotive industry. they just keep recycling old Ideas

they both run off the same belt as does the generator. the first serpentine belt. I keep telling you guys there is nothing new in the automotive industry. they just keep recycling old Ideas

So self parking, adaptive cruise control, anti lock brakes, computer controlled engines, internal water pumps, internal distributors, individual cylinder coil packs are all old ideas? :D

have you never seen the 5th wheel caddy that did that in the mid 50s self parking.

depending on you defenation of a computer there have been mechanical programed over electric controls for a long time. anti lock brakes have been on race cars for years before they put them on passenger cars, along with multi coil packs multi valves and fuel injection. front wheel drive is nothing new. as are electric cars. compressed gas fuels and ETOH. each have been experimented with and and dropped as to costly or not practical.

there have been electric eyes that would control functions for a long time.

were they may be some different applications, the method or function is not a new ida. better materials, construction methods and more reliable electronics have many more applications for old ideas more cost effecent

Looking at the pictures, I saw that the steering wheel had been replaced with a newer one, and the original generator was replaced with an alternator. I will admit that this deviation from stock could be easily changed back to original, but whenever I see things like this done, I always wonder what else was done, that isn't as obvious. To me, it looks like just enough was done to make the car presentable for sale at the auction, without regard to originality. Hopefully, the person that purchased this car will put it all back to the way that it was originally built, and not hot rod this unit, but as we all know.......... It's his car to do what he wants to do with it. It is also a known fact that now resto-mods are the up and coming thing to do if you want to maximize your return on investment. They cost less to do, and bring a better return than doing a car back to being all original. The true hobby lover of original cars are becoming a rare breed today.

Car had to be jumped every time it was started as well.

hard to think of a man looking for big bucks on his car that can't spring for a battery.

but we see a lot of this. are these mods more reliable. done correctly yes. but how necessary is it on a rig you are only going to put less then a thousand miles a year on. properly rebuilt drum brakes will lock the wheels. so how important is upgraded brakes vers fixing that caved in door ?

most can be or are all ready built to resemble stock components. like the alternator in a generator housing, the solid state points that fit under you original cap. leds that produce a warm light.

bt going asck to original is still cheaper and looks right and works

Back