1970 Cadillac Superior Rescuer

Mike Owens

PCS Member
Just took the "AMBULANCE" roof sign plate off the front of the 1970 and there are no lights, sockets or holes for sockets. Was it customary for this front sign to be unlit? The rear "AMBULANCE" sign lights...

The lighted roof signs were optional. My '75 Superior 54" is like yours in that it was never lighted, however I am adding the light bar off of my '74 54" parts car.

Who said it had to make sense? ;):pat:

Seriously, no, it doesn't seem to be customary or logical. Superior would build it with the roof signs lighted or unlighted, front or back (or sides), or no roof signs at all. If the option was possible, they would build it however the paying customer wanted it.

Ambulance Signs

Kurt;
It kinda' doesn't make sense to pay to the light the rear and not the front???

Mike,

Neither of my 70's have the lights behind the sign,however in one of them I was able to locate a pigtail to connect....now whether its for the sign is anyones guess.....

So what would be a reasonably easy way to light it up?

Find a parts car, as I did, that had that factory option. It is a rail with a series of 4 or 5 (I don't remember which) sockets. My parts car had lighted front and side signs, but no rear sign at all. The rear signs seem to be the rarest.

Ambulance Sign

Mike,
Here is a photo of what to look for:

40thAnnvirersary017_zps3e0e54a4.jpg

Kurt;
It kinda' doesn't make sense to pay to the light the rear and not the front???

To my recollection the front sign was standard, but to light it was optional. The rear sign was an option, and if you ordered it, it was lite. Ah the 70's. If you wanted a yellow mustang with red interior...just tick the appropriate boxes.

unlike today were you want a sun roof you got to take the 20 in wheels. never mind they don't make a all season tread for your four wheel drive in that size.

Back