Removing wiper marks on the windshield

Paul Steinberg

PCS Life Member President
Staff member
Super Site Supporter
Has anyone found a good way to remove wiper marks from windshields? Thanks

Eastwood has a polisher set that will work. they use a hard rubber pad to grind them out a a little rougher compound. the rule of thumb is if you can catch your thumb nail on it it's to deep to buff out with out causing a bulls eye. but it will easily remove the scuff mark. light stuff I have gotten out with a regular buffer and compound. when ever I buff a car I always run over the glass. it cleans them up gets the molding around the glass and just helps a lot in the curb appearance.

wiper scratches

Your local glass shop can polish them out so long as the scratches are not too deep. If they polish too much, you will see "waves" in the glass that can cause unwanted reflections when you look through the windshield.

windshield marks

Our local glass shops would not try to polish my scratches out. They gave me that line about the distortion that would come up as they polished. My theory was a bit of distortion on the passenger side I could live with. The other alternative they said was to replace the glass. Shipping and installation was going to be near $1600. They did tell me if I try to do the job myself to not get the glass hot with the polisher. Slow and easy does it I guess.
Pop Maine used to say that you could polish glass scratches with cerium oxide. I will have to find out what that is before I put it on the car. An:my2cents: old jack of all trades from Kentucky told me to get a couple big tobacco leaves. Use them wet on your polisher pad. Don't know about this one either. The kit from Eastwood seems to be the best first try here. Local parts stores may also have a kit of some kind.
Now any of you chemist types are allowed to expound on cerium oxide for us.
The scratches on my coach are deep. The car was driven for a long distance in the rain with the passenger side blade off.
Mike

Last edited:
windshield scratches

Well i can give a little inside to cerium oxide, Me and my family owns a optical lab, we make glass and plastic lenses for Dr's around the country. We use cerium to make glass lenses clear and smooth after we do the ruff cut on the blanks. It is a lot like polishing compound used on paint. You can take some of it and apply it on with a brush over the scratch, and take a little buffing pad on a drill or air buffer and keep working on it, " the pad that would work best is one that is like a felt pad, or harder foam pad. You can do wool but it will not work as fast or good. Maybe you can look in the phone book by you to see if anyone makes glass lenses. Its getting to be a lost art, everyone seems to be just doing plastic and not glass anymore. If you find someone bring a little jar for them to put it in. Hope that helps out a little. If anymore questions just ask. Rocky

The "glass guys" I am friends with say that if you can feel the scratch with your finger nail it is too deep to polish out. The wife's car has one as the wiper insert was bent last winter in a ice up and the blade metal scratched the glass.
Some of the lighter marks polished out, but the deep ones stayed put.

Glass Managerie!

:yum:I've been told that light scratches can be removed by using a very fine steel wool... and a polishing compound, although given the expense of a Pro-Car reproduction windshield, I'd likely leave it to the professionals. The local Ryan's Autoglass is my source for such a dilema. I'll ask them and relay what they advise.

I once knew a guy named Aloysious T. Schimmelhorn who fell into a lens grinder...

Wait for it....
:yum:

He made a spectacle of himself!

That is a SERIOUS groaner, Rick!! :2gunsfiring_v1:

Paddy the Irishman, a brewery worker, had died by drowning after falling into a huge vat of beer at the brewery. At his funeral, a relative was commenting about how horrible a way to die it must have been. "Actually", replied a co-worker who had been there at the time, "I think he quite enjoyed it! He got out three times to go to the bathroom!".

Back