Idea - B A H M T

In Josh’s “All” thread, a few of you touched on a subject that I had one day planned to share with the group, but wasn’t quite ready do. I’m still not near ready to, but since we’re kind of on that subject, let me throw it out there. Go get a cup of coffee and sit back. This is a long read...

Do you remember my Where will your car be in 50 years? thread? What that thread was about was two things. First, it’s something I’ve been personally thinking about for the last few years. And second, in a sense it was research. And some of you may have noticed, but I never posted my answer. Here it is:

I want my cars to be owned by everyone who can share in the same passion I feel for them, everyone that the cars invoke a special feeling in, and everyone who can appreciate the cars for more than their value or rarity. Cars are not investments, they are our heritage. To me, what makes my cars special is their personal history, their context in automotive history, and what they have the power to make someone feel. One car is a one-off professional car with an interesting history of coachwork, and the other is 1 of 282 made British sports car that makes many of us hear ’80’s music, recall horrible clothing styles, and picture James Bond ordering a martini. So does it matter that they are rare or possibly value? Not a lot. I get more enjoyment out of showing the neighborhood kids how stuff on them works or telling them about the cars, and by listening to the stories of the people I meet at car shows who have all sorts of stuff to say. Why? Because I remember being that kid and that guy at the car show, and had it not been for that, I would be a very different person than I am today.

Now to the dilemma. Jen and I have talked over the past many years about having children. We’re now in our mid-thirties and have nearly decided that having children is not the right decision for us (keep opinions about this out of this thread, please). So one day, what becomes of my collection? Today it’s my two collector cars, and one day it will include at least another two of our own and my father’s current three cars. What does one do at the end of their life with no kids, possibly no one to inherit the estate, and seven or more collector cars? I jokingly coined the term baseball card cars for what I fear the most may happen to my collection. When I was much younger, I remember sitting in school with my stack of baseball cards talking about how great my Ken Griffey Jr. rookie card from Upper Deck was. I carried it around in its protective sleeve, showed it to my fellow card collectors, and every few months would look up its current value in the Beckett price guide. Today, I can’t tell you who he played for. Today, I can’t tell you what ever became of that card. Today, and most saddening, I can’t even tell you why I owned it. Twenty plus years later, I look back at this and see a trend of this form of “collecting” in today’s collector car market. And it’s more than cars of course, it’s all automobilia. I think about things like Steve Loftin’s and Tom McPherson’s collections of photos and literature, my friend Emmett’s collection of rare muscle car and hot rod engines and racing parts, and my friend Ed’s collection of early car magazines, club publications, and advertisements. Oh yes, and my collection of diecast cars and models spanning the last 70 years. Wouldn’t it be devastating to the collective automotive world if these things disappeared for ever?

So, as I meet more and more people in car circles around the country, I’m growing increasingly aware of a sad perspective of the future of the collector car’s place in the world. Many collectors today don’t know what the future holds for the automobiles and automobilia they hold so dearly. And as I look at the hobby, its future appears to be lending itself to a hobby of collecting cars not for the pure enjoyment of the automobile, its historical context, or its aesthetic appeal, but more to the likings of class-defined baseball card collecting. Car collectors should say, “Look what I’ve got” passionately for an automobile because it’s special to them and they want to share that, not because they want others to see what they’ve paid a lot of money for to say they could.

Back to the first dilemma, what do I do to share my cars with people who can enjoy the cars as I have and not allow them to become baseball card cars? I’ve thought about this a lot, and ultimately, I came up with one good solution. I won’t give my cars to my nieces/nephews if they don’t share the passion. I won’t give them away to friends and acquaintances one by one, and wouldn’t know who to give them to anyway. And, I would like to not just donate them all to a museum. So the solution? Start a foundation and trust. In researching museums across the world, I’ve learned this is actually how most got started. Take a person whose love for the automobile goes further than their own garage, who wanted their own legacy and passion to be something that could be shared long after they’re gone, and who understood what a car is, all cars, to the world as we know it. This is who I’ve come to learn I am.

And this is who I hope to become...
Founder of the Borkat Automotive Heritage Museum and Trust. A draft Mission statement/About the foundation:
The Borkat Museum is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to the collection, preservation, presentation, and celebration of the automobile, its history, and its cultural impact. The foundation’s primary focus is the sharing of auto enthusiasts’ legacies left for future generations and their endless passion for the automobile.

The museum is more than just a collection of automobiles, but rather it is a collection of the fuel that’s driven the passion for the automobile since its inception. The collection features not only the automobile, but the personal history of the automobiles and their past owners. Other exhibits display automotive literature, art, advertising, collectables, and other forms of automobilia. The museum also features an interactive center for children and adults alike to experience the automobile in ways they never have. From classic cars to sit in, to educational films, to the hands on science of automotive mechanics, the museum has something for every level of hobbyist.

Chapter two, my current dilemma. What does it take to start? Money, and lots of it. If my love for cars were enough, I’d have started the greatest car museum the world has ever known. Sadly, I couldn’t get two bits for that. But I do have a plan. Step one, save about $5,000 to hire an attorney. To become a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization in GA, there is a ton of paperwork and forms. Some law firms specialize in forming organizations, and this is where I’ll start. I actually have a preliminary meeting setup with an attorney to discuss the overall concept. Once I can license an organization name, select a board of directors, become an incorporated organization in GA, I can then legally pursue benefactors, volunteers, and donations. Best yet, once incorporated, I can go ask our government for money. Thanks to the Federal Financial Assistance Management Improvement Act of 1999, I can apply, and hopefully be awarded, federal grants which would help me get started with advertising, property/storage, and acquisition. Remember, this is just a starting point. I won't get into all of it here, but I actually have a few pages written of how advertising, donations, design, and management would be handled.

I’m not one of the people who could start a foundation by my own financial means (the Petersen Automotive Museum was started using Margie and Robert Petersen’s own $30 million), but I have the idea, and the idea itself can be more valuable than money!

Constructive criticism welcome...

PS Thank you all who took the time to respond to my Where will your car be in 50 years? thread. I greatly appreciate it.

Adam, you have really put some thought into the future of your collection! I am impressed with your concern for the future of car collecting and the hobby itself. Sharing a similar concern myself, I have been selling model cars, promos, literature, etc over the past few years. And, as I said in the other thread, I tend to keep my cars for a while, sell them and buy another. I do not want to burden my wife with having to unload a ton of stuff and wondering what I would want her to do.

Other than $$$$, the problem I see, is that many collectors are eclectic and don't have a solid theme they follow. It seems that if for example, we were talking a procar collection, a Fifties, Sixties, Brass Era collection and so on, you may be able to generate specific interest and subsequent $$$$, input, volunteers, donations, etc.

Having said everything I have said, I really like your ideas. You have put tremendous amounts of thought and passion into your concept, you will figure it all out. I wish you lots of success and if one day I can help you, I will.

Adam, I really admire your enthusiasm for the collecter car hobby, and your ideas. As I get older, I to wonder what will become of the collecter car hobby in the future. Its people like you that give me hope that we can keep it going forever. I think the best thing we can do is do everything we can to educate children, and just hope they pass it on to there children, and so forth. And by the way, good luck, you have some great ideas.

Josh

I wonder about about the future of the entire collector car hobby. I'm new to the collector car scene, and I wonder if I will be able to even buy gasoline for my car 20 years. By the way Adam, I still have that Ken Griffey Jr. rookie card from Upper Deck!

Other than $$$$, the problem I see, is that many collectors are eclectic and don't have a solid theme they follow. It seems that if for example, we were talking a procar collection, a Fifties, Sixties, Brass Era collection and so on, you may be able to generate specific interest and subsequent $$$$, input, volunteers, donations, etc.
Thanks Bill! And to this comment, that's one of the details I've got in the concept. In the Southeast, we have basically three types of auto museums - racing, muscle car, and micro car. All of the eclectic collections are states away from here. Now imagine this... A trip to Georgia to a museum where you cound walk room to room, and everything you feel changes, as do the years and the countries you're visting. What I mean is one area could be a classic '50's American cars. You walk through and remember the diner you used to eat at and the Plymouth wagon you borrowed from your parents for your first date. In the next room, pre war American cars. You see a black 1930 sedan, and think, I remember the old black and white photos of this same kind of car sitting on my parent's bookshelf. In the photo, my grandparents standing there proud in the photo with their new car as it sat in all its original glory in their driveway next to the “Yes We Can” yard sign. Just a few yards away, you're now in a room with Europeon race cars, and you can imagine the exhaust tones of the cars screaming down the Brooklands track or the echoing off the waters at Côte d'Azur. Then to the Brass Era, where you personally may not be able to relate to the cars, but you understand and can appreciate the context and significance in history. You stop to look at photos, wood spoked wheels mud covered and deep in ruts, and think how much different life must have been. And then of course because of my love for professional cars, there would be a section for that, police, and other emergency vehicles. Think about this, I think it's funny. If it takes me another 20 years to get this done, many of the people visiting are going to look and say, I never knew they made Cadillac ambulances! Anyway, that's the idea at least...

I think the best thing we can do is do everything we can to educate children, and just hope they pass it on to there children, and so forth.
I couldn't agree more. And the flip side to that is take the time to sit and listen to the generations before. If we don't hear and learn what the story was before us, we can't share the story with those who will come after us. A good friend of mine owns a 1957 Ford liquor car that was used to run moonshine out of the Georgia mountains. Hearing that from the mouth of the the car's owner is something you can never quite match reading in a book.

By the way Adam, I still have that Ken Griffey Jr. rookie card from Upper Deck!
No on is perfect :D

WOW, great thoughts there Adam, you got us all thinking and now I have a head ache from all the reading but well worth it.
I'll trade you two Advil for an AHA!

Sounds like many PCS people would be in the same situation when their time has come.

I sometimes think about what I should do with mine as well since I do not have any kids to pass them onto. I have a brother but he has no interest in them.

The former MM plant in Piqua would be a great place to turn into a museum.

It would be great if the PCS members came together and bought that building to have a place to leave their cars/collections to be on display for years to come.

Like a retirement home for ProCars.

I'm sure there are people who would come together and help out.

Len Langlois built a EMS museum and filled it with his ambulances, sirens, etc.

I have thought about doing something like it as well. Like Steve says, you just need money ! And likely twice as much as you would imagine.

Great ideas suggested,
Darren

My idea, is when the building gets purchased, we should create a pro car junk yard behind the building and start hoarding parts cars. This is my idea now. I might refine it as time passes. Exclusive junk yard to contributing members for an example?

I also think Adam should sell his house and move to Ohio, sooner the better and buy the old plant in ohio and set up lodging somewhere on site so retirees and familys can stay at the plant if they are members of PCS and work in the museum for pleasure or contribution to membership. Souvenir shop, the works! Also should be a center devoted to a restoration project for the general memberships participation and a section devoted to members being allowed to work on their own cars. Winter storage for members as well. Nice if you live in the area. Most important, A permanent flagship destination for annual chapter meets, with plush lawns for concour with plush accents on the show fields. A shed big enough for all attendees to go for shelter in event of bad weather and a detail facility for pro-car detailing prior to showing. Personally, I like my dry-wash waterless car wash, less labor not having to chase water spots around for an hour. Maybe a shop with a glass wall and real time viewing on the internet so you can watch from home as the work is progressing on a pro vehicle. Just a suggestion! No my opinion!

You know Adam, coincidentally there is another member that lives in Ohio and he is looking for a large building for his Pro cars and a place to live besides, maybe you guys by some stroke of fate will find each other, lets hope!

My idea, is when the building gets purchased, we should create a pro car junk yard behind the building and start hoarding parts cars. This is my idea now. I might refine it as time passes. Exclusive junk yard to contributing members for an example?

The M-M plant is big enough to have an indoor parts yard!!!
:drive2:

I would also like to see a division of the operation doing appraisals and new coach dealership, also buy, sell trade department. Rotate a vintage pro car onto the sales floor on a system side by side with new stuff for sale. The locker rooms are probably still there, the spray booth, I have never been there but all it would take is some big ideas, Trump style, can do atitude, won't take no, can do for a mantra. Instead "If you can dream about, lets do something about it' this kind of positive thinking could catapult a Society that might have a destiny to be forgotten to being put up to the forefront again. The industry and society in general kept trying to reinvent the mainstays in pro car regards and I have said it before, that how can you remake something that was practically state of the art at the time. I said before that I would rather ride in a 2011 Cadillac CTS ambulance or whatever Cadillac's top of the line is right now, than a delivery van.

Adam, I really applaud the time and effort that you have put into figuring out what you want to do with your collection in the future.

Unfortunately, all this talk about museums has got me wondering... How much hands on time will anyone have with the cars (not only yours) once they are put into a museum? Don't get me wrong, but I enjoy going to shows like the PCS international meets because everyone there has a story to tell about their car or, like you mentioned, something to show about the car or how it works. It almost makes me sad sometimes when I go to a museum. I like looking at all the cars, but I also wonder when the last time they were run or even started. One of the best things about the PCS and another club I belong to (the ISWC - International Station Wagon Club) is that the majority of the cars are driven to the meets. How can one get more enjoyment out of a vintage car than driving it half way across the country to a show?

On the other hand, I know exactly where you come from wondering what will happen to your cars in the future. Myself, right now I only own 1 collector car. My father right now owns 11 (I think, unless he added another one without me knowing). I know my brother has no interest in them, so if my father still has them when he leaves us, what do I do with them? Buy them from the estate and keep them for myself? Put them up for estate auction to go to other collectors? Or maybe something else all together?

I agree with Mike on the collector salvage yard idea. I have thought about this for a long time. I know where there are several professional cars and station wagons (my two favorite collector cars) sitting in backyards, junk yards and behind the barn so to speak. Wouldn't it be wonderful to be able to collect all of these in one place? If nothing else, the glass and trim pieces would be worth it even if the rest of the car was rusted into the ground. Time, money and space are the factors here and unfortunately, I don't have any of the 3 as of right now.

Thank you for your thoughts on the whole idea of where our cars will be in the future. It makes everyone think about tomorrow and not just about today.

I am all for preservation of these cars but there is something about a car sitting in a museum not serving its purpose anymore that makes me sad... I always just want to go over to it and change out all its fluids and start it up so the poor thing can live again.

Our coach sadly might not ever make it to a museum, but get parted out for every time I pull up to a stop light I know that the vehicle behind is 3-4 inches off my rear bumper trying to sit up in the seat to see whats inside the casket compartment. No common sense that if they get rear ended, it will be a catastophic chain reaction. Also when on the freeway people pull up along side and they literally are not paying attention and start drifting into my lane, until they realize I am crusing the shoulder. Then only out is to put it to the wood and get the heck out of their.

The former MM plant in Piqua would be a great place to turn into a museum. It would be great if the PCS members came together and bought that building to have a place to leave their cars/collections to be on display for years to come. Like a retirement home for ProCars.

So it’s been awhile since I’ve had even free time to properly respond to everyone’s comments, but I did want to follow up. I love the idea of a professional car museum, with records, parts, and resources for all of us to share. But... my vision is a little broader. The biggest reason is that if I considered starting a car solely for professional cars, I significantly reduce the number of benefactors and capital to maintain the organization. That said, if I ever do get this started, I will absolutely have a devoted wing to professional cars. Professional cars are one of my automotive loves, owning them is why I’ve gotten where I am in my life (no joke, if it hadn’t been for my curiosity in someone’s 1929 S&S, I would have never met Jen or ended up with this job), and it’s my way of showing appreciation for all of you, my friends, my mentors, and my fellow enthusiasts. And Michael, no I won’t keep a professional car junk yard, but I would be more than happy to keep a professional car parts collection on site :D

And as a side thought to that, parts are extremely important to museums. Aside from resources for their own restorations, they can be auctioned off for revenue to put back into the museum.

I’ve also thought about what a few of you suggested, and using the Miller Meteor plant. While that’s a great idea, I would ideally like to start the museum in the Southeast. One thing that we are seriously lacking is a diverse and quality museum. Ohio for example has the Crawford auto and aviation museum (which happens to be the first car museum I ever went to). In Georgia, we really don’t have any. There is a neat micro car museum in Madison, which you should all try to go to if you can, but that’s about it. There are also a lot of private collections here, but none open to the public.

Also should be a center devoted to a restoration project for the general memberships participation and a section devoted to members being allowed to work on their own cars.

A good thought and one some foundations are doing already. They hold tech seminars and work on members vehicles in a classroom like environment. The downside to this is that the museum would then have to have adequate mechanic facilities, tools, and an instructor (which I think we should volunteer Ed for :)), and that can cost more than the property itself.

Adam, I really applaud the time and effort that you have put into figuring out what you want to do with your collection in the future.

Unfortunately, all this talk about museums has got me wondering... How much hands on time will anyone have with the cars (not only yours) once they are put into a museum? Don't get me wrong, but I enjoy going to shows like the PCS international meets because everyone there has a story to tell about their car or, like you mentioned, something to show about the car or how it works. It almost makes me sad sometimes when I go to a museum. I like looking at all the cars, but I also wonder when the last time they were run or even started.
Very good point, but I’m on top of that too! :)
I’ve been to countless museums of cars that are dusted frequently but driven rarely. Like you, I don’t think the cars should be put up on display and left to collect dust. EVERY car in this collection would have personal attention and will be driven. Think about a museum that would send a handful of Buicks to the national Buick club’s annual meet to share in the celebration and gain exposure to the museum. Or local parades even that would have a car or two or three in the line up from the museum, so the people who enjoy the cars in the museum could see them on the street again too. Heck, why not let the museum sponsor a day cruise to raise money for the local hospital’s children’s burn unit, and split the proceeds 50/50 with the foundation? Lots of ideas out there, but this is how a collection should be managed!

Adam, you can do most of this yourself. Check out the following link:
http://www.legalzoom.com/non-profits/non-profit-corporation-overview.html
By the way, I love your idea. Jim
Thanks Jim. I looked into this also. After going through a lot of stuff, and even filling out everything online, I realized this is kind of like filing your own taxes. Yes, you can do it, but you will never do it as well as letting a professional do it. Missing a small exemption and loosing a few dollars is okay, but in the details of running a 501(c)(3) organization, missed details can result in what’s technically a criminal act. I figure to let some experts help me out here is worth every penny if it means never loosing the collection and my dreams over a missed period somewhere!

I always just want to go over to it and change out all its fluids and start it up so the poor thing can live again.
I’ll always be looking for volunteers! :D

Back