1951 Chrysler T&C Wagon Military Ambulance

This is very cool. Chrysler left no doubt that this was built as an ambulance.

1951_military_chrysler_wagon__1_.JPG

1951_military_chrysler_wagon__58_.JPG

A neat and interesting car. The ambulance script and "Ambulance" on the dash sure point to it being an ambulance. It sure stops there the six though a great engine makes it a slug in the performance dept and I see no sign at this time of any ambulance hardware. However the tailgate inside trim is not wood whereas the rest of the trim in the floor is. Also note the wheelhouse inside trim does not seem to match the rest of the interior trim. For my money it was an ambulance (Black cowl paint) but someone either took a good wood shop coarse or had another wagon to remove wood trim for floor etc. It would be great to see a photo of the interior of one of the other 152 then perhaps it could be an ambulance again and not just wagon with script installed. Mabe someone sees something I don't.

a lot of mystery holes cut outs in the rear floor. back then a litter carrier would have qualified. but the script makes no sense to me. it not a manufacturer's name so it looks out of place that small. more like something placed just under the glass.
but I'll take there word for it doesn't make the car worth any more of less.

Richard Brothers placed their name plates in the same position in the late '50s and early '60s. The 50/50 split second seat was not Chrysler's doing.

I love the '51 Chrysler hood ornaments. One of my all-time favorites. Not only cool looking, but functional!

... The 50/50 split second seat was not Chrysler's doing.

Actually it was, believe it or not. The split rear bench was a feature of Chrysler's deluxe wagons for several years. Here's a few examples -

'51 brochure

'52 brochure

A '53 Town & Country

And one of my current projects is a '55 New Yorker wagon, like this one -

:)

I was wrong for those years on the second seat. In later years(at least '60 &'61), Richard brothers had to do their own 60/40 split seat modification on their station wagon conversions.

Back