1974 M-M Cadillac Criterion Ambulance For Sale ***

anyone remember the body number?
ED:
M-M Body # is: 74931, Chassis VIN: 6Z90R4Q245480

Sold to: The City of Stanwood (WA) on October 4, 1974 (with 23 Miles). Original Purchase Price: $19,229.00.

WA State Title Fees: $3.10 Apparently it was <COUNTY EXEMPT> Plated but operated under contract by Gilbertson's Funeral Home for the Stanwood Community Hospital

Seller: Miller-Meteor / Clark Ave., Piqua, OH., 45356
Warranty Service Policy Issued to: Franz Ridgeway Distributor at the Portland
Auto Center / 2936 N.E. Sandy Blvd., Portland, OR., 97232

Ambulance was sold (or gifted) to the Lewis County (WA) Fire Department in 1988, then sold to PCS Member Kevin Lynch on 3-18-97. Kevin sold it to Dr. Mark Tamsen, M.D., on 1-20-99. He used it as a sign board for his Urgent Care Center in San Diego (Mission Beach). Sold to A.J. Heightman on 6-4-2004. Purchased by Western Heavy Equipment on 9-7-15. Worthy of note is that the poor girl has had to sit outside from 1999 thru 2015 (16 Years) in sunny CA but also in salt filled air from Mission Beach and later Oceanside, hence the badly deterioated (beautiful) paint job and graphics from Kevin Lynch's restoration and RUST everywhere. MM

ED:
M-M Body # is: 74931, Chassis VIN: 6Z90R4Q245480

Sold to: The City of Stanwood (WA) on October 4, 1974 (with 23 Miles). Original Purchase Price: $19,229.00.

WA State Title Fees: $3.10 Apparently it was <COUNTY EXEMPT> Plated but operated under contract by Gilbertson's Funeral Home for the Stanwood Community Hospital

Seller: Miller-Meteor / Clark Ave., Piqua, OH., 45356
Warranty Service Policy Issued to: Franz Ridgeway Distributor at the Portland
Auto Center / 2936 N.E. Sandy Blvd., Portland, OR., 97232

Ambulance was sold (or gifted) to the Lewis County (WA) Fire Department in 1988, then sold to PCS Member Kevin Lynch on 3-18-97. Kevin sold it to Dr. Mark Tamsen, M.D., on 1-20-99. He used it as a sign board for his Urgent Care Center in San Diego (Mission Beach). Sold to A.J. Heightman on 6-4-2004. Purchased by Western Heavy Equipment on 9-7-15. Worthy of note is that the poor girl has had to sit outside from 1999 thru 2015 (16 Years) in sunny CA but also in salt filled air from Mission Beach and later Oceanside, hence the badly deterioated (beautiful) paint job and graphics from Kevin Lynch's restoration and RUST everywhere. MM

Come on Mike, post those pictures very anxious to see. Surely cannot be as bad as these Criterions.
Another picture of the Criterion when Kevin owned it.
c1975.jpg
c1976.jpg
7420lake20fritz.jpg

I'm happy to hear that you're the new owner Mike. Another one saved, and it's going to someone with the resources, talent and funds needed to do the restoration properly!

Congratulations, Mike. I'm glad I could help it get to a good home. (It's the second time I've found this car a good home - I connected Kevin and the WA fire department back in the day).

I was a little concerned with AJ's comment that it needed a lot of exterior work. But I knew it sat outside at the doctor's office and with AJ, so I'm not really surprised. And as I know from the Criterion I used to own, they are known for rust.

I'm glad you guys reached a mutually-agreeable deal, and I'm glad it went from one long-term friend to another. My friendship with AJ actually goes back to my dad having been friends with him from, I believe, when AJ was still in Allentown, PA. And we go back to..... some long-ago meet.

I think you owe me a ride in it one day! :cheers:

Criterons

Mike,

Congratulations on your acquisition of yet another Criterion! I note that this car, bearing body number 74931 is only two units apart from 74933, which was your Norfolk, NE rig. It is also only 10 apart from my former car, 74921, which I sold in 1999 and is the orange & white one pictured above in Richard's post.

I have been informed by the fellow I sold 74921 to that this car is now undergoing restoration. Of all the cars I have owned over the years, there are two that I seriously regret selling and this is one of them. I'm not going to hijack your thread with details, but I'm pleased to say that we have recently added another Criterion to our collection as well.

I look forward to seeing photos of this great rig as you proceed with the exterior restoration.

Best of luck with it Mike what a bummer in Ca. and next to the ocean with that second line steel. The Tri State picture is the one in my yard two years ago went by it the other day there is less there now. What a shame!!!

Congratulations, Mike. I'm glad I could help it get to a good home. (It's the second time I've found this car a good home - I connected Kevin and the WA fire department back in the day).

I was a little concerned with AJ's comment that it needed a lot of exterior work. But I knew it sat outside at the doctor's office and with AJ, so I'm not really surprised. And as I know from the Criterion I used to own, they are known for rust.

I'm glad you guys reached a mutually-agreeable deal, and I'm glad it went from one long-term friend to another. My friendship with AJ actually goes back to my dad having been friends with him from, I believe, when AJ was still in Allentown, PA. And we go back to..... some long-ago meet.

I think you owe me a ride in it one day! :cheers:
Steve: I will be glad to do that! "AJ" spoke very highly of you and your Dad, your support of his current-reoccurring medical show events in Maryland and about his days growing up in a fire department family from Scranton, PA., including many pictures of Scranton FD Ambulances including a beautifully (very well) equipped S&S. THANKS AGAIN for all your help and detailed information that helped "sell the deal" for me that the car had a very unique-well documented history that as you know is very important to any full restoration. MM

Congratulations Mike! I think it makes all of us feel good, every time a professional car is saved from impending doom. And some of these ambulances are so rare, they deserve whatever it takes to restore them.

Mike, you are welcome. That's why we have the PCS, to help each other out.

Now folks, you asked for it: Here are Mike's photos of some of the rust-damaged areas on the Criterion. Yeah, outdoor life near the ocean wasn't good. Say what you will about second-line steel, but that hood and front fender came directly from GM.
74 CRITERION 001.jpg
74 CRITERION 002.jpg
74 CRITERION 003.jpg
74 CRITERION 004.jpg
74 CRITERION 005.jpg
74 CRITERION 006.jpg
74 CRITERION 007.jpg

hard to find a caddy or any gm except a Vaga in these years that they painted under the hood on. but were it all in the needs cut out and replaces stage those are the normal stops fr this set of years.

Mid 70s was not GMs finest hour we had Cadillacs Coupe Devilles in particular with roof from end of rear window to 1/4 panel rotted through when they were three years old everyone remembers the Chevrolet and GMC vanishing trucks and Suburbans. I junked my 85 Suburban plow truck last year no body left from your knees down. Best thing is out west there should be lots of desert Cadillacs for front parts. Hope you have a good MIG welder. Sure does not look as bad as I thought it would based on what we get back east here. Lokk forward to seeing progress reports and pictures good luck.

Mike shouldn't have any trouble finding a straight, Arizona sun-baked '74 Cadillac Coupe deVille/Calais Coupe to give its life for the preservation of this rig. The entire front clip is a simple swap-out. Good luck Mike!!

Back