6 days later

John Royark JR

PCS Member
It took 6 days, alot of pain killers, and at times unbearable pain but the result was worth it. I cant think of anything that looks better than a black car that has just been clay barred and waxed. Now if we can only find a way to keep it looking like this longer than an hour.

DSCF2797.jpg

DSCF2795.jpg

Yep, while I like many different colors of cars, nothing looks better than a freshly pollished black paint job. Looks great John.

josh

Only 3 more to go. I did the 85 Superior this spring but didnt think of taking a just after pic. May have them all done by next spring.

Wow! What a gorgeous coach. Your hard work certainly shows.

I find after a clay bar and wax, that hitting the finish periodically with Meguiars "Final Inspection" does wonders for my Mustang. It doesn't remove wax, and makes it look like you just finished waxing! Its easy to apply as well. It comes in a spray bottle. I mist right onto the finish and wipe with a CLEAN micro-fiber detailing cloth. You will find as you wipe it leaves a very dull haze. I then wipe to a shine with a second clean micro-fiber cloth. I also use it to touch up the chrome and stainless hubcaps on my 69. (The paint unfortunately needs more help than i can buy in a bottle ha!) Just my $.02! Its a good product for maintaining or touching up a finish before a show.

Wow! What a gorgeous coach. Your hard work certainly shows.

I find after a clay bar and wax, that hitting the finish periodically with Meguiars "Final Inspection" does wonders for my Mustang. It doesn't remove wax, and makes it look like you just finished waxing! Its easy to apply as well. It comes in a spray bottle. I mist right onto the finish and wipe with a CLEAN micro-fiber detailing cloth. You will find as you wipe it leaves a very dull haze. I then wipe to a shine with a second clean micro-fiber cloth. I also use it to touch up the chrome and stainless hubcaps on my 69. (The paint unfortunately needs more help than i can buy in a bottle ha!) Just my $.02! Its a good product for maintaining or touching up a finish before a show.

I use Turtle wax ICE liquid clay bar, and ICE wax. The wax does not leave a white residue like most waxes, and you use it on everything, you dont need to be careful of trim. Plus no swirl marks. Also I use the Turtle Wax ICE detail spray which is like the meguires you mentioned.

Kevin, why don't you clay bar and wax the ambulance in your avatar? After six painful days, maybe it will look like John's car.

The reason it took 6 days is because I can only do it for an hour a day tops and then Im in so much pain I cannot move the rest of the day. Before my spine injury I used to do this to all 5 cars in 2 days.

John, man that is a beautiful car. I wished my paint looked that good, I would like to do something for my paint but not sure what to do?? Its original paint but it has places where the paint is gone, lookes like it dosen't have primer under it, and the bottom of the doors need some work to. First things first, I still have not even started it yet, but getting closer. Looking at that black car will give me some more motor-vation.

John, man that is a beautiful car. I wished my paint looked that good, I would like to do something for my paint but not sure what to do?? Its original paint but it has places where the paint is gone, lookes like it dosen't have primer under it, and the bottom of the doors need some work to. First things first, I still have not even started it yet, but getting closer. Looking at that black car will give me some more motor-vation.

Dont worry, the paint is not as good as it looks, it has alot of small scratches, chips, dings, and some primer. This car has a LONG way to go before it is close to the quality I want.

yes but for now it is a clean respectable 49. if we can jus tkeep te owner from tosting the crowd with the flame throwers on the back that is. good job on here. you got some place you need to be?

I use Turtle wax ICE liquid clay bar, and ICE wax. The wax does not leave a white residue like most waxes, and you use it on everything, you dont need to be careful of trim. Plus no swirl marks. Also I use the Turtle Wax ICE detail spray which is like the meguires you mentioned.

I too use the ICE line. Never seen the ICE detail spray. Have to look into that. All finishes are different tho. My black 87 GT that i painted some time ago LOVES ICE wax. It makes the finish look like i just painted it! My red 90 GT however, i put ice on it one time and like to never got it off! I can only use Meguiars Gold Class. However the Gold Class does nothing for the 87. They both like Final Inspection though.

The reason it took 6 days is because I can only do it for an hour a day tops and then Im in so much pain I cannot move the rest of the day. Before my spine injury I used to do this to all 5 cars in 2 days.

I know that I can't do the work I used to do on cars either. I hope you don't think that I was being a "smart guy" because I know from experience, that to do a procar right, takes lots of time and effort. But, the car looks great!

yes but for now it is a clean respectable 49. if we can jus tkeep te owner from tosting the crowd with the flame throwers on the back that is. good job on here. you got some place you need to be?

Yes, it is a respectable car, you know how it looks in person. I just didnt want anyone to think it was near mint condition.
As for the flamethrowers, a couple of my friends have gotten a little 'warm' from trying to photograph them.

I know that I can't do the work I used to do on cars either. I hope you don't think that I was being a "smart guy" because I know from experience, that to do a procar right, takes lots of time and effort. But, the car looks great!

I did not think that at all. You are right, to do it right it takes along time to do it right, thats a whole lot of car. The top is always the hardest, that up and down the ladder over and over is very hard on me. Even before my injury it would take along time.
Just ask Tony Karsnia how long it took me to get my 85 Superior spotless dry when I washed it at his funeral home. I am very anal when it comes to my cars, and have a tendency to nit pick

Beautiful!

John,

You did a great job on the '49. Hate to hear that the process caused you so much pain, but the results look terriffic...and on such a noteworthy car too!

For anyone interested, here is a link to the website of what once was the original Norman Funeral Home in Grand Forks, ND that bought John's 1949 S&S Cadillac new. As seen in the photo, the Gregory J. Norman Funeral Home recently took delivery of a new 2011 Eagle Cadillac hearse. (Photo courtesy Baines Professional Vehicles)

http://www.normanfuneral.com/fh/home/home.cfm?fh_id=13163

Attachments

• zzz_NORMAN.jpg
    zzz_NORMAN.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 112
john, you car looks awsome! cant wait to see it in person sometime soon i hope. Take it easy on the car's they will all get to where you need them in time. its no race. just enjoy them

Back