Fleet shots

Guys - Please identify the fleet shots as you post them including (a) the name of the funeral home, ambulance service, or livery company and (b) what city they are/were in. Thanks!

Post #16

In this post by Attlia, the third photo down shows a fleet of Superior Cadillac ambulances owned by Smith Ambulance Service of Minneapolis, MN. This photo was taken in front of the Smith office / garage at 2100 Lyndale Avenue S, Minneapolis.

The fourth photo down in the same post shows a fleet of ambulances operated by Olsen Ambulance Service of Minneapolis. This photo was taken in front of Henry Olsen's house at 2110 Fifth Avenue S.

Fleet Shots

1. 1959 Miller-Meteor Cadillac & 1958 National Buick: Russell Talarico Ambulance Service, Hibbing, MN. If the Talarico Buick looks familiar, that's because we believe this is the same 1958 National that was located in Ottertail, MN years ago and has turned up - fully restored - more recently.

2. 1964 and 1961 Superior Cadillacs: Mercy Ambulance Service, Coon Rapids, MN.

(Karsnia collection)

Attachments

• zzz_Karsnia 003.jpg
    zzz_Karsnia 003.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 2,052
  • zzz_Karsnia 004.jpg
    zzz_Karsnia 004.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 1,755
Livery service photo shoot

I was invited to Blanchardville, Wisconsin last fall to do a photo shoot for Saether Livery Service, operated by my friends Paul Saether and Chuck Kramer. This was a fun day; we had to jockey cars from three locations onto the football field in Blanchardville.

1998 Eureka Cadillac
2004 Eagle Cadillac Ultimate Elite (black)
2003 Eagle Cadillac Ultimate Elite (silver)
2005 Eagle Cadillac Ultimate Elite (silver)
2002 Eureka Cadillac Signature (white)
2000 Eagle Cadillac Ultimate Elite (white)

(Karsnia photos)

Attachments

• Copy of Saether Photo Shoot 046.jpg
    Copy of Saether Photo Shoot 046.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 1,644
  • Copy of Saether Photo Shoot 126.jpg
    Copy of Saether Photo Shoot 126.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 1,590
  • Copy of Saether Photo Shoot 060.jpg
    Copy of Saether Photo Shoot 060.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 1,629
Commercial glass Lincolns

Tobias Funeral Home was once a large, family-owned funeral home in Dayton, Ohio. They got a new fleet of cars every four years; four new hearses and four new six-door limousines. So that the public would know the fleet was new, Tobias changed the color of their fleet each time it was updated.

In 1997, Tobias traded their fleet of dark green Eagle Lincoln hearses and (I think) S&S Lincoln limousines for a fleet of new S&S Lincoln Park Lane commercial glass cars that were white with dark blue vinyl tops.

Seen here is Tobias Funeral Home's participation in a Dayton area parade.

(B. DeWinter IV photos - Karsnia collection)

Attachments

• zzz_Karsnia 006.jpg
    zzz_Karsnia 006.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 1,692
  • zzz_Karsnia 007.jpg
    zzz_Karsnia 007.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 1,623
  • zzz_Karsnia 005.jpg
    zzz_Karsnia 005.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 1,670
What a great thread! Some fascinating stuff on here so far. I'll avoid redundancy by not re-posting some of my own fleet shots that have already appeared on other make-specific threads. Here are a couple of new ones that I don't believe I have shared yet.

Both shots are taken at Murphy Ambulance in St. Cloud, MN. The first one is of 3 M-M Cadillacs.......... a 1970 flanked by a pair of 1972 models.

The second photo contains a '70's Suburban, another '72 M-M (on loan at the time of photo, not the same car pictured in the first shot), a mid '70s Wayne Dodge Medi-cruiser, and a '74 M-M Lifeliner.

Attachments

• Fleet001.jpg
    Fleet001.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 1,619
  • Fleet002.jpg
    Fleet002.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 2,085
Back in the early & mid 70's, I worked for a service that had postcards made that featured one of the newly purchased 1971 Superior 54 Cadillacs and the newly built stations in Mansfield and Zanesville, Ohio, with fleet shots in front of the stations. Each station had 1 Model 54 and 3 combinations that were all 1971 Cadillacs and all were white. I sure wish that I would have thought and a few aside for later years.

Guys - Please identify the fleet shots as you post them including (a) the name of the funeral home, ambulance service, or livery company and (b) what city they are/were in. Thanks!

Sharing without knowing trumps knowing without sharing. Placing further restrictions potentially lessens thread as a whole. :pelt3:

Besides, knowledge depth pool here will pick up slack - as Tony did with a couple of mine.

Twin City Ambulance, Eastview Ontario early 1960's

TwinCityMontfort.jpg

Last edited:
These were the last 5 ambulances in our fleet (Veterans-Prince, Astorian, Irish & Crestview) before the City of Winnipeg (Manitoba) took over ambulance operations from the private services in June of 1975. These cars are a pair of '73 Dodge van Strathroy conversions, a '74 C-B Olds Cotington 54, a '68 Mercedes Benz, and a '63 C-B Olds Seville.

The second photo is Wylie Ambulance's fleet, also from Winnipeg. A '72 GMC modular style built locally by Lawrie Wagon, and a '73 and '74 Superior Pontiac 54".

Attachments

• Fleet004.jpg
    Fleet004.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 1,969
  • Fleet005.jpg
    Fleet005.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 2,056
What's that? You want looser 'fleet' interpretations as captured by my askew view around the country? Covered. :D

***For personal use only. Permission not granted for reposting anywhere.***

dsc00710ae.jpg

tom1d.jpg

dsc03748r.jpg

dsc03696w.jpg

dsc03719e.jpg

dsc04487x.jpg

That last picture I would love to walk thru and see in person it's crazy but for some reason I like walking thru places like that even though they mainly only
be good for parts. Especially since I'm looking for a 70s S&S :)

Last edited:
While most of these rigs have already been seen in this and other threads, this is a shot of 4 of them together shortly after the City of Winnipeg took over ambulance operations and painted all the cars a uniform color. Station #1 was an old, unused fire hall, and was the base of operations for many years. Pictured here from left to right are a '73 Superior Pontiac 54" (formerly Metro), a '74 Superior Pontiac 54" (formerly Wylie), a '74 C-B Olds Cotington 54 (formerly United) and another '74 C-B (formerly Veterans-Prince). There were a couple of more '74 C-B's not pictured here, a Dodge Medicruiser and an assortment of other low top vans and suburbans. A few other rigs inherited by the city in this takeover were deemed to be unroadworthy or too old, and were scrapped.

This new service was operated for a year or so by Blue Cross, and later was made a full city department as a third emergency service. Ultimately, over a period of years, they merged with the Winnipeg Fire Dept., where they remain to this day.

The second photo is of a pair of '71 M-M Lifeliners on their way to Howard Distributors, the Canadian Wayne Corp. dealer in Burnaby, British Columbia. I don't know who these two identical Caddys were intended for.

Attachments

• Station 1001.jpg
    Station 1001.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 1,564
  • Fleet003.jpg
    Fleet003.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 2,944
Covington Funeral Home Fleet

469_0000158191.jpg

Top - 1996 Superior Lincoln Monarch & 1995 Federal Lincoln Six-door

Bottom - 1987 Superior Lincoln with the same Federal.

Here's a couple from my old employer, North Ambulance in Minneapolis. In the '70's, their fleet consisted of four ambulances. On the day of the photo session for the Cadillacs, they could never get them all together due to calls. The four wide body Superiors are parked on the original heliport at the hospital on the day of delivery. In the '70's, North covered north Minneapolis and the northwest suburbs. There were 24 EMT's, later paramedics covering the shifts.

Today, it’s over a hundred vehicles in Minnesota and northern Wisconsin. Several hundred employees.

North Ambulance later became North Medical Transportation Services and is a division of North Memorial Medical Center. They also co-own the Maple Grove Hospital. http://www.northmemorial.com

Attachments

• 3 NMMC MM Vol 1.jpg
    3 NMMC MM Vol 1.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 1,489
  • 1975 Superior 61 Widebodies.jpg
    1975 Superior 61 Widebodies.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 1,461
Kerry and I both worked for Winnipeg Ambulance after the city took over operations in the mid '70's. I was there for 14 years before relocating to California, and I think Kerry was there at least twice that long. To fuel our obsession with REAL ambulances, we acquired a handful of cars over the years and provided standby services for the local speedway, and rural motocross events, from about 1976 until 1989. All 3 of the cars pictured are still owned by current or former PCS members, to the best of my knowledge. The Criterion pictured in both photos is the same car, I just changed the color scheme over the years. We also ran a '62 M-M and a '79 Superior Transport at different times during this period.

'66 Superior Cadillac Rescuer, saw service in Bricelyn, MN and Iowa County, IA during its life. We purchased it from Advance Ambulance Sales in Minneapolis in 1980. I believe Ken Elliott in Orlando still has this car.

'75 M-M Criterion. Purchased new by Kneehill Ambulance in Three Hills, Alberta in Feb. of '76. It sustained some minor front end damage in an accident in Nov. of '85, and was written off, based on a replacement value of $2500.00. It was repaired by another party, and I acquired it in early '86. I sold it in late '89 to a motocross association in Manitoba. It spent some time in the US after that, and is now being restored by PCS member Doug House in B.C.

'73 S&S Medic Mark I. Originally owned by Ft. Wright, KY fire dept. We got it from Ken Elliott back in '87. It is now owned by Bruce Biancalana, as far as I know.

Those were the days!!

Attachments

• Criterion005.jpg
    Criterion005.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 1,536
  • Criterion004.jpg
    Criterion004.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 1,457
Remember the white over maroon fleet from last year?

ww.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2574[/URL]

dsc01142hl.jpg

This one still looks really funky.

dsc01143s.jpg

Not sure about the builder but the back door looks like a hatchback door instead of a RH or LH hinged door. But the thing almost looks like a cross between a Norwalk Ohio built Eureka and a Miller-Meteor. I'm still intrigued and puzzled on this one! Only thing I can think its one of the Texas bondo beauties!

Back