Sort of hypothetical question about a carved side

A friend has a 1947 meteor carved side that is a basket case. She is also having a problem getting this car shipped to her. The doors are in reasonable shape and the cast carved panels are good. Do you think it would be possible to put those doors onto another 1947 meteor that isn't a carved side?
For a variety of reasons this car is not going to get shipped to her. The doors on the other hand could be.

Yes as long as a tremendous amount of fitting is understood. I would say '41, '42, '47, or '48 Meteor donor.

9109419741_c60de52d4f_b.jpg

Considering that the cars were individually and custom built, I don't think that the doors would be interchangeable, without a lot of body work to make them fit. Metal, unlike wood, is a lot more difficult to work with when attempting customization. Heck, just removing a door from a commercial chassis car and reinstalling it, and getting the alignment correct, as it was originally hung, is a difficult task.

First of all, the car doesn't appear to be a 1947. From the remainder of the 'Cadillac" nameplate on the lower portion of the front fender, it's a 1946. Meteor didn't offer carved cathedral-style hearses after 1946. Second, it's not only the doors, it's the entire upper rear body quarter panels that would have to be used to convert a standard limousine-style to a carved panel car. That would mean cutting the quarters off as well. And, don't forget the rear loading door. This may contain some type of carving detail as well. AS Paul said, it would be a really tough job to get it installed correctly. However, there were so few of these post-war carved panel cars built, this one would be worth preserving or restoring....provided someone has really deep pockets.

You're right, Steve. The interiors of these carved panel coaches were quite elaborite and often enhanced with wood appliques and special lighting. The interior would be another important component that would have to be salvaged and, from the photo provided, we don't know what condition this is in. Once again, the car is so rare, it deserves to be rescued and restored but, appears that it would require a serious investment in both time and money.

Well the other suggestion that I made was to grab all the casted panels to use as wall art and kiss the rest goodbye.

both the cars that Atti has posted are sitting in a storage lot in Long Beach California. They have been sitting there for 2 years (and not for free)

She has to make a decision now and her choices are limited.

What kind of value do you think she could realise if she has to dispose of them?

Appears to be a Superior with that long side door. Wouldn't work as a donor. Note driver window shape is not trapezoidal like Meteor. Both Miller & Eureka had canted C pillars.

This Meteor that was at auction a few months ago may have proven being a blown opportunity. Might be worth contacting auction company and passing your info along to high bidder. Doubtful they'd come off his.

1394793_10151985936383221_1303572326_n.jpg

Pretty certain this Meteor is still available as well - if it hasn't been scrapped.

1468522_10151985936243221_159574491_n.jpg

Pics of what Doug is working with.

Attachments

• photoCA4B37JN.jpg
    photoCA4B37JN.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 348
  • photoCA390DD2.jpg
    photoCA390DD2.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 359
  • photoCAJISRLB.jpg
    photoCAJISRLB.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 265
  • photoCA16AAFF.jpg
    photoCA16AAFF.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 365
That indeed could well be the answer. I will call and see what I can find out.
Thank you very much Atti.you are an asset on and to this board.

Man I love those cars, I really want to have one day. If it was closer to me or I could get it home I would rebuild it. One my car bucket list.

Well this situation is still going on,but here is an update. Right or wrong she has bought the 1946 Meteor as shown in my photo album above. It is her intention to graft the panels (or doors) onto this car. It has a title and was found 4 miles from where her cars sit.

Back