Cadillac grille extensions

Calling Ed Renstrom, or anyone else who may know. What is the best way to repaint these extensions? I hate to do it with a modelers brush, as that will leave brush marks. In order to spray it, I would have to spend HOURS taping off all the raised ribs. I was lucky enough to score an NOS one for the driver's side (the worst one), shown below under the "bad" one. I need to repaint the passenger side one, and the very ends of the main grille where they meet. What kind of paint should I use and what is the best way? They are aluminum by the way. Thanks....pics below.

Attachments

• CadGrille 005.jpg
    CadGrille 005.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 113
  • CadGrille 007.jpg
    CadGrille 007.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 116
Give it a good scrubbing with soapy water and get it really clean. Rinse well, and make sure it is totally dry. Spray lightly with semi gloss black lacquer paint. Allow to dry, and then wipe off the high spots with lacquer thinner and a Q tip. Much faster than taping it off. They were not perfect on day one, so just don't fuss too much..

After cleaning them well and polishing the silver lines, I would use pin stripping and cover up the high spots.

I'm sure you can find pin stripping the same width and it would be a very quick way to cover it up and peel it off after.

Rub down the pin strip good so the paint doesn't go under it.
If it does, it will still be way faster to wipe it off than painting it totally.

You will be very pleased when the jobs done.

Post photos after its done.

Darren

last set I did I used a brush that wide and a thin wash of semi gloss. no matter how you do it it's a pain and takes time

Back