Existing Civil War era ambulances

Bee Hamlin

PCS Associate Life Member
Does anyone know of an authentic existing Civil War ambulance? I am doing research with the intent of writing an article. I am aware of an original Studebaker of that vintage and one replica, but wonder if there are any others and if so, their particular whereabouts.

Any help would be appreciated!

Bee Hamlin
Editor, On Call
Mid-Atlantic Chapter

Cw ambu

Bee, a great many of the ambulances used in the civil war were built by Studebaker in South Bend. The Studebaker National Museum is now located there. I don't know if they have one in their collection but I do know they have a significant number of horse drawn vehicles including 4 presidential carriages. If you were to get in touch with these folks if they don't have one they might have a pretty good idea if there are any still around.

Bee, there was one a few years ago at the National Museum of Civil War Medicine in Frederick (MD). It wasn't their's, they had it on loan from a museum in Illinois(?). The way the display was set up, I couldn't get close enough to see if it was a Studebaker (castings on the wheel hubs), and they didn't know.

When they renovated the museum a few years ago, they sent it back and now have a replica (actually, half a replica). If you call them, I'm sure they could tell you were it went. They may know where others are as well.

Greg,

I am pursuing the Studebaker Museum lead as I was aware there is one housed there (or was). I'm currently waiting to hear back from them. Hopefully, they didn't get buried under the storm that produced the 3 feet of snow that just got dumped on us in the Mid-Atlantic area...

Bee

Bee, there was one a few years ago at the National Museum of Civil War Medicine in Frederick (MD). It wasn't their's, they had it on loan from a museum in Illinois(?). The way the display was set up, I couldn't get close enough to see if it was a Studebaker (castings on the wheel hubs), and they didn't know.

When they renovated the museum a few years ago, they sent it back and now have a replica (actually, half a replica). If you call them, I'm sure they could tell you were it went. They may know where others are as well.
Steve--thanks! I will follow up on that. My interest was kindled by an article I read in the British Hearse Society's recent publication about a replica that was built by a gentleman from Gettysburg...

Bee

I think....

..I think that one resides in the Sloan Museum Collection. We can check with them when you are here if you get out of the snow drift.

1861-65 Civil war era ambulances

I picked up a great tome entitled "Horse Drawn Ambulances" at the " Help is Here" ambulance display in Albany two years back... it is from the Carriage Museum of America, Bird In Hand Pennsylvania that is a thourough text on horse drawn ambulances of military,civilian and veterinary ambulances.They have another ambulance book too called The Great Blue Army Wagon, and describe their books at http://www.carriagemuseumlibrary.org/
This one out west is labelled as WWI but matches many earlier patterns from the late 1800's and some of the pics from the Civic war. http://www.virtualmuseum.ca/pm.php?id=display_original&lg=English&fl=0&rd=41775

Does anyone know of an authentic existing Civil War ambulance? I am doing research with the intent of writing an article. I am aware of an original Studebaker of that vintage and one replica, but wonder if there are any others and if so, their particular whereabouts.

Any help would be appreciated!

Bee Hamlin
Editor, On Call
Mid-Atlantic Chapter

I saw two at Knottsberry Farm, in So.CA. They might beable to help.:my2cents:

Back