Got my ambulance back from the garage!

Very nice!

:thumbsup:Wow...that's nice. Well worth the wait I'm sure.

Thanks for sharing the pics Bob.

Bill

Wow!!

Bob,
That looks better than new. Trust me here. I was at IH when this was new. Hope it runs as good as it looks. Hope to see it in person somewhere down the road.
If I can ever help track down a part let me know. There is an IH obsolete parts store here in town. Seems to concentrate on Scouts but you never know what they will find until you ask.
Mike
61 M-M:my2cents:

your all most there. Eastwood has a product call cast iron dressing that you can rub into the exhaust manifolds when they are cold. then you fire it up and cook it into the cast iron. it works good and a little goes a long way. then some cast blast in a spray can on the master cylinder and some ace hardware semi gloss on the cap and the booster and you got a engine bay to be proud of. they Gave you a nice coat on the engine. but check the pictures and see about the little things. was the oil filler tube cap engine color or was it black? small things like that make all the difference in the appearance. the good part is most of then are easy to do and don't cost a lot . the master cylinder can be painted on the car if you take the cover off wipe it down with a little thinner and then spray some paint into the cap.then use a wide artist brush to brush the paint on. same with the booster. steering sector and brake lines. makes for a nice weekend in the shop and gives you max return for you money spent.
but congrats on getting the power plant redone. one more big thing out of the way. those IHCs are getting few and far between. I remember when we had a dealer here in town for them.

thanks

Thanks for the comments and the hints! I am eager for spring so I can start putting some gentle miles on it. Any tips on breaking in a rebuild from folks who've done it before? If I can get the time put aside to make it to Albany I want to make sure I've worked up to some shorter highway speed trips first to make sure everything is running properly.

Thanks for the comments and the hints! I am eager for spring so I can start putting some gentle miles on it. Any tips on breaking in a rebuild from folks who've done it before? If I can get the time put aside to make it to Albany I want to make sure I've worked up to some shorter highway speed trips first to make sure everything is running properly.

For the first 500 miles drive it gently and keep varying your speed. Don't drive it too long at any once constant speed. You want to break in the engine at varying RPM's. Once you have 500 miles on it, then put the pedal to the medal and drive it hard. A engine that is driven hard once it is broken in, will usually be a much faster car than one that is driven by the little old lady. Also make sure to use an oil that is high in ZDDP for engine wear protection. I would change the oil and filter at 500 miles and use a high quality diesel engine oil, such as Delo or Rotella. Change it at a 2000 mile interval and switch to a synthetic such as Mobil 1 for the rest of the life of the car.

engine break in

:agree:I agree with Paul on his break in scheme. It's the one we used when I worked rebuilding engines. The only difference was that we didn't use Mobil 1 since it hadn't been invented yet! In our case we examined the oil that came out at 500 miles to see if there were any problems and on my own cars I used to pull the oil pan and examine the bottom for any "things" (perhaps a bit of everkill but we did have a large heated shop). We also took this time, the 500 mile point, to look for leaks, check hose connections, coolant flow, torque specs, etc.

Hey, they don't do that on Biker Build-Off. They build it then crank that baby up. :bonk:

If you don't care about the work that went into the rebuild, and are only going for show, then you do it that way.. 10,000 miles down the road, you get to do it all over again. :biker:

If you don't care about the work that went into the rebuild, and are only going for show, then you do it that way.. 10,000 miles down the road, you get to do it all over again. :biker:

As someone stated in an earlier post, "Paul, get up on the wrong side of the bed today again?" :yum:
Sandy, feed him something he is growling!!!!

Back