Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Professional Car Discussion > General Discussion Forum

Notices

General Discussion Forum For the general discussion of Professional Cars.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:09 PM
PCS Member

Groans: 0
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Insurance question

Can you guys or gals direct me to the insurance trhead as I can't do commercial work, with the coach, with Haggerty's.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:48 PM
PCS Past President / Senior Website Administrator

Thanked 11,663 Times in 3,818 Posts
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts

Most, if not all, insurance companies will not allow you to do any commercial work with your coach unless you purchase commercial insurance, and put commercial plates on the vehicle.
If you are going to use the vehicle for a friends funeral, and will not be compensated. This is what I did when I borrowed Jim Staruk's combination for the funeral of a good friend. Here is the only thread that I could find about an insurance discussion on the website... click here
Old 03-26-2011, 11:57 PM
PCS Member

Default Generous Offer

I am tempted to call Progressive after a member spoke of the good service he received on going with insurance on coach's through them even covering claims fairly. Thats good advertising to me. Now I am curious, because Haggerty's won't let us work with our coach, which was one of the purposes we purchased the coach was to start a cottage business, Vintage coach service.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:02 AM
PCS Member

Default Insurance question

Thanks, Paul.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:09 AM
Website Member

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

Aside from Hagarty, the other antique/classic insurance a lot of my friends use is JC Taylor. Good luck!
http://www.jctaylor.com/
Old 03-27-2011, 11:56 AM
Website Member

Thanked 7,105 Times in 2,339 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 13 Times in 5 Posts

Safeco is mine on the Lifeliner and the Vette.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:22 PM
PCS Illini Chapter President

Thanked 1,684 Times in 450 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

Maybe others have different experiences, but I personally have no respect for Progressive. When I bought my 1991 limo, which is just my personal car, no commercial use at all, I use it as my daily driver, so it wouldn't be eligible for collector insurance, I called Progressive for a quote. One of the first questions they asked was "Is it more than ten years old?" When I said "Yes", they said they don't insure old cars and they hung up on me. So, with that experiece with their customer service, none of my money is ever going to go to Progressive.

I also have no good to say about Geico either. I had been a Geico customer since my first car in high school, simply because it was the firm the parents had always used. As I started buying hearses and limos, I just kept adding them to the Geico policy. Even though I never had an accident that was my fault, and never made any claims, after about ten years of being their customer, I received a letter from them saying that they were not going to renew my policy when it expired. Of course I picked up the phone to find out why. I was told that they don't insure custom cars. I said "What are you talking about? My cars are all stock, and you've been insuring them for ten years." Their reply was that they were not the way they were when they left GM, and they are not going to insure them any more.

After that, I called Allstate. Allstate not only said "No problem", but also turned out to be cheaper. I finally took out a Hagerty policy, which I've been very pleased with, when my collector cars reached the age of being legal antiques, but I still have my daily driver policy with Allstate, and even my parents, after being Geico customers for decades, couldn't believe what they pulled on me, and switched to Allstate too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patrick J. Martin For This Useful Post:
Danny Ryder (03-27-2011), Darren Bedford (03-27-2011)
Old 03-27-2011, 02:05 PM
PCS Member

Thanked 3,276 Times in 1,620 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mykulak View Post
I am tempted to call Progressive after a member spoke of the good service he received on going with insurance on coach's through them even covering claims fairly. Thats good advertising to me. Now I am curious, because Haggerty's won't let us work with our coach, which was one of the purposes we purchased the coach was to start a cottage business, Vintage coach service.
The praise from Progressive is ****** from me. I have never had any problem with them. Ive had a couple claims on the same car, and it had over 100,000 at the time, no problem getting it fixed. A pro car needs to be put in the commercial insurance program, but it still does not allow you to use your car for hire. In this catagory you get to set the amount, and unlike Patricks experiance I have had no problem insuring an old car, I used to have my 49 insured for $25,000 with them, no problem. I switched some of my cars to Hagerty a couple years ago purely on the dramatic price savings.
I looked into Allstate last fall and they wanted double what Progressive is. It really does pay to shop around, and make sure you are truthful in what you own and what your plans are with it.
1985 Eureka Pontiac Chieftain hearse
1995 Superior Chevrolet Chancellor hearse
See all my pro cars past and present in my photo album