Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Professional Car Discussion > General Discussion Forum

Notices

General Discussion Forum For the general discussion of Professional Cars.

Old 07-10-2018, 10:38 AM
PCS Member - Elected Director 2017-2020

Thanked 14,362 Times in 6,064 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

If what you have is now working leave it alone for now. They changer the exciter wire harness. what you have will not go on the older one. You also have no ida if the regulator works or not. Play around a little first. Find the plug you need and the wire harness is all there. Half the time they cut off the battery wire that should go between the ault and the regulater. Mean time all you need is the one wire going to the plus side of the battery to get it to charge. They are a pain to swap were they are. Make sure you have what is needed before you start.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:01 PM
Website Member

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John ED Renstrom View Post
If what you have is now working leave it alone for now. They changer the exciter wire harness. what you have will not go on the older one. You also have no ida if the regulator works or not. Play around a little first. Find the plug you need and the wire harness is all there. Half the time they cut off the battery wire that should go between the ault and the regulater. Mean time all you need is the one wire going to the plus side of the battery to get it to charge. They are a pain to swap were they are. Make sure you have what is needed before you start.
Thanks, I will do that. Last time I wondered if I was doing something wrong or if it was really that hard. I had to remove the fan shroud, the bar that mounts from the alt bracket to the engine, and that hose that goes across the top of the alternator. Even then it was nightmarish. Mostly because of that big bottom bolt on the alternator. Hopefully if I buy it tonight I can get it in before Friday.

Maybe this time I shouldnt tighten the battery bolt on the alt as tight. That may be why I had problems this time around
Old 07-12-2018, 09:42 AM
Website Member

Got it done last yesterday evening. Didnt take as long as last time, but I still spent a great deal of time getting that bottom bolt around the fan shroud and through that spacer.

Man that alternator spacer piece seems to be the bane of my existence
Old 07-12-2018, 10:18 AM

It is in a awkward spot. A lot of stuff around it.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:09 PM
Website Member

I did get that alternator sorted out and its charging much better now with that 4 gauge cable. Yesterday I attended my first car meet in a local hearse club consisting of several members. While only 2 of us drove our hearses it was a good visit and I learned something interesting about my coach. I was told that the combos usually had a 2nd floor button near the high beams for the siren.

We checked and sure enough I had a siren button that was hidden underneath the carpet. Until I get a real siren I have a tiny little vixen siren hooked up to a toggle switch. I may try rewiring it to this button and see how that works out. I never thought there would be a button hidden under the carpet
Richard Vyse (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 03:26 PM

It should not have been hidden. But if installed at the factory it would be a big switch that looks just like a dimmer switch. Sticking up threw the carpet. Most of the MM were wire with a horn siren switch on the pane with the light switches. Which would have been were the radio was. Flip it one way the horn toots the other the siren blows. There should be a picture of one in my drop shots site under the 68 mm album.

Keep in mind not all combos were used as ambulances. A lot of homes would order one so that when it dropped to second out or first call car it would be set up for the gurney. But never used as a ambulance. Then the next owner just had to have a noise maker so they added things. That little switch could trip the Selonide of a bigger siren but if it did its not a factr setup.
Richard Vyse (07-16-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 04:55 PM
Website Member

I will take a closer look and see. Its possible this is not the original carpet and it was covered up.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:51 PM
PCS Ohio Chapter President

Thanked 2,360 Times in 790 Posts
Groans: 1
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default If I May Make a Couple of Suggestions

Blake you have a really nice looking car there with LOTS of potential and I am really more of a limousine more than a landau style guy. The 65-68 body styles are my favorite. (Ya would think the 59-64 styles were my favorite seeing I have owned three 64s ). But back to your car, the 67 looks great and the black over gray is also my favorite combo color style. All this said, as soon as possible I would get a 28 for under the hood AND that abortion of a beacon has got to go. A Federal Model 175 hill light with red and white bulbs OMG! BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!. I would also like to see more pics of the car especially the patient compartment. Do you have a cot back there? It is a good looking car and I have really enjoyed following your thread on it's restoration.
2006 John Keel Award Recipient
1975 Cadillac Superior 54" Ambulance
1973 Chevrolet Superior 61" Ambulance
1970 Chevrolet Stoner Suburban Ambulance
1970 Ford MCC (Pinner) Vanbulance
1966 Pontiac Superior Combination
1964 Cadillac Superior Combination
Old 07-17-2018, 09:25 PM

I do have that 174 with a re plated skirt I could let go also
Old 07-18-2018, 09:26 AM
Website Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Devies View Post
Blake you have a really nice looking car there with LOTS of potential and I am really more of a limousine more than a landau style guy. The 65-68 body styles are my favorite. (Ya would think the 59-64 styles were my favorite seeing I have owned three 64s ). But back to your car, the 67 looks great and the black over gray is also my favorite combo color style. All this said, as soon as possible I would get a 28 for under the hood AND that abortion of a beacon has got to go. A Federal Model 175 hill light with red and white bulbs OMG! BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!. I would also like to see more pics of the car especially the patient compartment. Do you have a cot back there? It is a good looking car and I have really enjoyed following your thread on it's restoration.
Thats brings up another question I was meaning to ask. Does the beacon I have look original? At a show awhile back someone asked me if that was the original light, but I only assumed it was, he said it looked like the outer beacon ray casing was original but he said the inside light part looked newer. He may be right, as i am unsure. In any case I would like to put whatever should be there on it.

I can take some interior pictures here this week. I do not have a cot, but I do have the cot brackets