Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Professional Car Discussion > General Discussion Forum

Notices

General Discussion Forum For the general discussion of Professional Cars.

Old 07-01-2018, 11:48 AM
PCS Member

Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,072 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

I can't remember from tank to tank. Lets hear what others have found in their tank adventures. I do remember one tank we pulled cause nothing would come out and the entire sock was covered with a snoot like substance that effectively sealed the pickup from the fuel never did figgure out what it was. Chucked the sock. On most of my Packards cause its easy I have installed an in line filter a few inches from where the line exits the tank. The old head them off at the pass routine.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Grave For This Useful Post:
John ED Renstrom (07-01-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 10:10 AM
Website Member

Went to the Rockets over Rhema car show yesterday. Did alot of educating about combos to curious people. Even ran into a mortician who was admiring it and talked to him for a bit. Was a fun, but exhausting day. We brought my 4 year old sons Roll-Play 2014 Silverado truck too. At times it seemed his truck was more popular than the hearse, there were swarms of kids checking it out and my son just ate up the attention. When he spotted someone checking it out he would run over and get in and start demonstrating what all the buttons do and invite them to sit with him. Was quite fun for him.

My wife got tired 30 minutes before the fireworks show was going to begin and insisted on leaving early, this turned out to be a mistake as I got out to the exit in the hearse part into the street, about to pull out and the police stopped me and told me I wasnt going anywhere and to park it.

No one was allowed to leave until after the fireworks. I had no idea, so I was forced to stay parked in an awkward spot for the next hour or so. Took an hour of stop and go traffic to leave later. Probably wont take part in the car show portion next year, simply too many people.
Attached Images

John ED Renstrom (07-02-2018), Paul Steinberg  (07-02-2018), Russell Street (07-08-2018)
Old 07-02-2018, 11:47 AM
PCS Member

Thanked 1,661 Times in 657 Posts
Groans: 5
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts

Blake - Those Accent Star emblems were originally a casting made by Miller-Meteor and used for a number of years. In the Eighties, Eureka recast them and they were used on some 1985-1986 Pontiac Chieftain models.You probably won't find any of these made by Eureka but, a search of Miller-Meteors in scrap yads or of parts available from PCS members should be able to turn up a pair of these.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:55 AM
Website Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Snyder View Post
Blake - Those Accent Star emblems were originally a casting made by Miller-Meteor and used for a number of years. In the Eighties, Eureka recast them and they were used on some 1985-1986 Pontiac Chieftain models.You probably won't find any of these made by Eureka but, a search of Miller-Meteors in scrap yads or of parts available from PCS members should be able to turn up a pair of these.
Good to know, thanks
Paul Steinberg  (07-02-2018)
Old 07-07-2018, 09:15 PM
Website Member

Ok so today i replaced the connector on my alternator to battery wire since it was falling out of the crimp. While doing this i noticed that my alternator is wired to my battery with...speaker wire..now im no master mechanic but im fairly certaim this cant handle the needed load.

Am i right? I finished the head replacement but im considering buying a proper cable and re-running it. Here the before and after today. Going to get a thicker cable for this. This may explain why my alternator can never quite keep up
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2018, 09:50 AM
PCS Member - Elected Director 2017-2020

Thanked 14,361 Times in 6,063 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

A number 12 wire is what you need. And if it is wired direct to the battery it has been changed to a internal regulated one. Remember the hardest thing is fixing all the quick fixes
Other people did. The solution is not to do things that way your self. Once you start cobbling on it you never quit.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:38 AM
Website Member

Yesterday I actually went out and bought a 4 gauge battery cable for good measure. Its funny how you go out to do a "5 minute job" and it becomes an hour plus job...

So while I was removing the bolt from the back of my alternator it would not come loose, kept trying but it was turning bolt with it. Kept trying to grab onto the square end with pliers to break the seal while I turned but never had any luck. Tried spraying white lithium grease on it. No luck. Eventually it started to loosen but as it turned out I pulled the entire bolt out of the alternator.

So it seems I threaded off the internal nut on the alternator bolt. After kicking myself about this I thought about how I would prefer not to but another alternator since this one is only a few months old..also I dont want to go through the pain of changing it out again, as removing it was difficult last time, but not as hard as it was to put back in.

So I bought some JB Kwikweld and I first used it to join the bolt head to the red plastic piece that goes between the alternator and the bolt head, after that set for awhile I JB-Weld on the other end of the plastic piece and put that in the alternator. Let that set awhile, then spliced new contacts on every wire since I broke most of them in the process (they needed replacing anyway).

I let it cure overnight and started it this morning, alternator is certainly charging better, but I worry about how well that JB-Weld will hold.

I know the real fix is going to be buying yet another new alternator. The kwik weld said it was 2900LB strength, but with road and engine vibration I dont know how that will hold. I am going to drive it around the block tonight and see.

I do plan on getting a new alternator soon, because I want it done right, I really dont want the car dependent on a little bit of JB Weld. I know, its cringeworthy that I am using JB Weld on this, but it might get me through a few paydays so I can get an alternator. I also have my first meet this weekend and really do not want to miss it.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:02 AM

Splitting the case on the alternator is not that hard to do. All you need is a tooth pick to put the brushes back in place to put it back togather. There is a hole in the back of the case and it lines up with a set of holes in the brush holder. You slide the tooth pick or small wire in holder. then push the brushes in one at a time as you slid it threw the holder. Then after your back togather just pull it out to set the brushes were they belong. To get it apart is only 4 bolts. You do not need to pull the pulley to split the case and make repairs. If your going to turn it in your not out anything trying to repair it.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:21 AM
Website Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John ED Renstrom View Post
Splitting the case on the alternator is not that hard to do. All you need is a tooth pick to put the brushes back in place to put it back togather. There is a hole in the back of the case and it lines up with a set of holes in the brush holder. You slide the tooth pick or small wire in holder. then push the brushes in one at a time as you slid it threw the holder. Then after your back togather just pull it out to set the brushes were they belong. To get it apart is only 4 bolts. You do not need to pull the pulley to split the case and make repairs. If your going to turn it in your not out anything trying to repair it.
True, once I get a replacement I may give that a try. Then I will just have a spare next time
Old 07-09-2018, 10:40 AM

If you get a replacement get the correct one. The one you have is not correct for your car.