Questions about roof signs

AGP stands for Auto Glass Peru... This is the manufacturing plant that makes the glass for Pilkington Glass if I remember. They purchased all the old windshield molds from LOF.. Libby Owens Ford. I have a AGP windshield in my Corvair and the fit and finish is excellent.

as oppose to this one got at Pilkington in Aug this year made in Washington I think. it was made in 11 of 08 if I'm reading it right. the paint (etching) all most off. same glass gotten from the same source on Roberts 75 was made in south America to. I'll have to go check the 72 now to see on it. they came in the same box but could be made in different plants. even though they are the same glass. they will list on the tag the type of glass in your case it's laminated and a shaded. if it was safety plate which is required to over the road trucks it would have stated plate or safety plate. the safety meaning it's laminated. the the rest are the specks it complies with. I would guess there are Canadian ones added there also. not knowing for sure but it looks like the NAGS number of the glass is printed there also. the 71 to 76 is a WD-788 or close it's off the top of my head. the LOF glass does not have the nags number printed on it.
but for my money the best glass on the market was Carlite. they fit good looked good and had a nice tint to them. you could tell the difference when you put one in.

Attachments

• 1973 S&S glasss.jpg
    1973 S&S glasss.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 310
Glass

59-64 Commercial Glass 1959-1965 75 Series Limo the Same.

65-70 CC Glass

71-76 CC Glass

77-84 I believe are the same but that is my guess on the 77-84 Years.

There is a picture of a 67 Cadillac Superior windshield for sale on "the oher website" and the markings are the same as the one my 67.

Now, since everything was custom made by Superior, would it be safe to say that all of the glass in a Pontiac & Cadillac of the same year would be the same?

My current 69 and my past 70 caddy superior 51" hightop ambulance both had the front sign with ambulance on it but neither were lit from the factory. Both had a plug on inside panel where toggle would have been.:thumb:

There is a picture of a 67 Cadillac Superior windshield for sale on "the oher website" and the markings are the same as the one my 67.

Now, since everything was custom made by Superior, would it be safe to say that all of the glass in a Pontiac & Cadillac of the same year would be the same?

all commercial Glass's in 67 would be the same if it was on a caddy pon or olds.
the door glass may be some difference as are the back quarter ones and rear door glass threw the different companies but all the windshields were the same.

I was thinking more of a large, oval, homemade gasket so I could change out the light bulbs easier than removing caulk. Perhaps from a black rubber tire. The twelve screws should hold it watertight. What about that?

I was referring to sealing the holes in the roof cavity that lead to the inside of the cab that allow water to infiltrate the cab area. I don't know what the inside of your sign box looks like, however, if it is like mine on my 1978 Superior, then there is a floor to the sign box, which is the original roof and the sign box is then grafted onto the roof. On mine, they drilled holes to bring the electrical wires through.

Here are pictures of the sign boxes that mount on the side of the 1978.

There is a rubber gasket that is in front of the plastic sign and one behind the plastic sign that are designed to keep the sign box dry. I don't know for certain if the water that made its way into the sign boxes was a result of a defective gasket, or the cracks in the plastic sign itself. I am having new plastic signs made to replace the old ones, and the sign shop explained how the originals were made. They use a translucent plastic red paint, and place a "mask" over the entire plastic area that they don't want painted. In this instance, it will be the letters that spell out "AMBULANCE". Then they spray the open area of the mask with the red translucent paint. Once that dries, they then remove the "mask" and spray the entire rear of the plastic white, covering the red letters. If anyone needs to have any plastic signs made at the same time that they are going to be doing mine, please send me a PM.

Attachments

• MVC-825L.JPG
    MVC-825L.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 239
  • MVC-826L.jpg
    MVC-826L.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 242
  • MVC-828L.jpg
    MVC-828L.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 252
Update

Just pulled the LED lights out from behind the roof sign as I did not like the bright "hot white" look. Stark contrast from the rest of the yellow glows of the vintage incandescent. I have a light rack like the one Paul posted, but the individual sockets are rusted out, so I will most likely be installing white identification lights behind the roof sign.

But now it's back to the Saints!

I did install LEDs in my bullet lights, but removed them. I think that they have a more directional beam than the incandescent ones.

Looking closely at Gene's picture of the rear roof sign, it looks like if it is not part of the molded roof, but an add-on. Am I correct?

I only have a single, front sign. Guess it was the economy model:)

I do agree, they look like an add on fiberglass module. First time I have every seen any like that on a Superior.

The front one is molded into the roof, and the rear is a bolt on addition it appears. I have seen pictures of cars that have had roof signs added on by the owner, and they never seem to get them into the right alignment and they are either pointed upward or downward. I believe that the only way that you can actually add any roof signs to a roof and make them look like they were factory installed is to find a car with them in the junk yard and cut them off that car and install them on yours.

I believe that the only way that you can actually add any roof signs to a roof and make them look like they were factory installed is to find a car with them in the junk yard and cut them off that car and install them on yours.

Anyone has a lead on a Superior donor car with a rear roof sign assembly?

Of all the Superior options, I believe that the rear roof sign must be one of the least ordered items.

More roof sign light work...

Repainted the light box with bright silver paint. Repaired the original light bar I salvaged from the Cadillac to use on the Pontiac. Did the installation, and really like the incandescent glow much better than the LED lights. Still working on the gasket to be sure I have a good seal. Had to drill out the rusted screws in the holes as you can see. Will have to upsize to a #10 x 1 screw to ensure a good seal when I get a new gasket.

Attachments

• IMG_0455.jpg
    IMG_0455.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_0452.jpg
    IMG_0452.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0453.jpg
    IMG_0453.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
now that looks right. painting the box with the high reflective paint really helps a lot. if you get stuck for a gasket a thin layer of clear silicone will do nicely. it won't glue it in so that you can get it back apart. will handle the vibration and keep the water out. be sure and fill the sockets with grease. that will do all the above there to. stop any corrosion and give a longer life to the bulbs. Grotten has a good one to use but regular old gun grease works just as good.

Back