Climate Control Interchangeable

Richard,
I checked my Cadillac Parts Master Books to see if these do interchange. According to the Parts Books these are not interchangable from 1971-1978. Here are the GM Part Numbers for the Climate Controls: GM #7938385 is for 1971-1973 Models, GM #9345976 is for 1974-1975 Models & GM #16001626 is for 1976-1979 Models. I think this is on lower part of the 5th or 6th page that I sent to you. I also think that up until 75 there are 2 climate control relays on the evaporator core, and from 76-79 there was only one relay. I would say you need to find one from a 1971-1973 Model.
Aaron

Richard,
I checked my Cadillac Parts Master Books to see if these do interchange. According to the Parts Books these are not interchangable from 1971-1978. Here are the GM Part Numbers for the Climate Controls: GM #7938385 is for 1971-1973 Models, GM #9345976 is for 1974-1975 Models & GM #16001626 is for 1976-1979 Models. I think this is on lower part of the 5th or 6th page that I sent to you. I also think that up until 75 there are 2 climate control relays on the evaporator core, and from 76-79 there was only one relay. I would say you need to find one from a 1971-1973 Model.
Aaron

Thanks Aaron. Bid retracted.

A/c Parts

Aaron, I picked this up for my 72 . Can you tell if it is correct for that application? Thanks for your time on this.

Hi Daniel,
The Programmer you have there #1223605 Fits 1971-1973 Oldsmobiles with Auto Temperature Control. It will not fit a Cadillac. The Part Number for the Programmer you need for your 1972 is #7939005. This interchanges with 1971-1973 Cadillacs.
Thanks,
Aaron

Programmer

Hi Daniel,
The Programmer you have there #1223605 Fits 1971-1973 Oldsmobiles with Auto Temperature Control. It will not fit a Cadillac. The Part Number for the Programmer you need for your 1972 is #7939005. This interchanges with 1971-1973 Cadillacs.
Thanks,
Aaron

Aaron , I took some pics of the NOS unit on the rt and the parts car unit (72 Hearse) on the lt. There are no # s on either one but appear to be identical? Any ideas ? Thanks Dan

Hi Dan,
I went back into my parts books and during these years Cadillac & Oldsmobiles did use the same Cover on these Programmers(GM #9344237).
But the complete Programmer assembly is still different part numbers and applications between the two. I don't have a book specific enough to breakdown the internal components on these programmers, but I would bet there is a difference once you get inside. It could be they used a different amplifier, motor, transducer or relay. Since you have them side by side I would take the covers off to compare the two.
Aaron

one other thing that they would do is swap the wires around on the plug to make something different between the Caddy and the big Olds, Pon. the unit would be the same just the way the wires were moved on the plug was different. but again for the lay man there is know way to know. as when they did that they changed the color code on the wires. this one you have the wire pigtail on the used and you can compare them to yours. the exchange book I have does not list the controls. so all we can go by is Aaron's books as to there being a difference. would be like GM to make the plastic cover the difference. but in defence of the Co. they were always trying to make the lines different to keep from franchise problems. remember the olds, chevy engine swap lawsuit.

one other thing that they would do is swap the wires around on the plug to make something different between the Caddy and the big Olds, Pon. the unit would be the same just the way the wires were moved on the plug was different. but again for the lay man there is know way to know. as when they did that they changed the color code on the wires. this one you have the wire pigtail on the used and you can compare them to yours. the exchange book I have does not list the controls. so all we can go by is Aaron's books as to there being a difference. would be like GM to make the plastic cover the difference. but in defence of the Co. they were always trying to make the lines different to keep from franchise problems. remember the olds, chevy engine swap lawsuit.

All the external plug connections , vac line #s in the cover are identical . The one in the 72 works fine this is just a NOS spare I found. If I get some time I'll switch them out and see what happens Thanks.

If you swap them, and there is a wiring difference internally, then you run the risk of burning out the new unit. I would use an ohm meter and check the resistance between connections of the old and new, and then if they are the same, possibly swap them to see how everything works. The one thing that I have learned through the years is that part numbers are changed from one parts book to the next, for no apparent reason. I know of Corvair parts that have had 3 or 4 part number changes, and there is no visible change in the part itself. I have been told that a change in supplier can even cause a number change.

Back