Brake fluid used to seal main bearings....

All of a sudden my rear main began to leak just a bit. My mechanic suggested I put a cap (about 4 oz) of brake fluid in the engine and this would swell the seals and could stop it from leaking. I googled this and cannot find anything that supports this theroy so, "What are your thoughts?"
There is rear main seal additives for the engine and perhaps should go that route first before I have the seal replaced.

it will work "maybe". but how bad are we talking leak. marking the spot with a drip or five ,six not worth messing with slide the pizza box under it were you park it. but if every time you shut it off there is a puddle and the under side of the car is wet. best do something. either way the cap of fluid won't do any damage if the problem is is as hard seal it may help. but if it's damaged torn missing a piece or the crank has gotten warn it most likely will not do anything. no different then any of the other stuff you can buy to dump in. who knows whats in that stuff. it how much oil it's going threw not weather it marks it's spot you got to worry about. but notice the mechanic did not walk out and do it for you??:rolleyes:

it will work "maybe". but how bad are we talking leak. marking the spot with a drip or five ,six not worth messing with slide the pizza box under it were you park it. but if every time you shut it off there is a puddle and the under side of the car is wet. best do something. either way the cap of fluid won't do any damage if the problem is is as hard seal it may help. but if it's damaged torn missing a piece or the crank has gotten warn it most likely will not do anything. no different then any of the other stuff you can buy to dump in. who knows whats in that stuff. it how much oil it's going threw not weather it marks it's spot you got to worry about. but notice the mechanic did not walk out and do it for you??:rolleyes:

It's not much just a few drops. It is just killing me though to see it leak at all. I've changed the rear seal on the transmission and on the rear-end and will probably change this one as well. Just looking for another opinion on the brake fluid additive, kind of scared me.
Thanks

Richard,

I don't know about the brake fluid thing but I do feel your pain about the leak. I have a car that something is wrong or leaking about every week.

Richard,

I don't know about the brake fluid thing but I do feel your pain about the leak. I have a car that something is wrong or leaking about every week.

Starting to get that feeling. I get one thing done then another quits or breaks.. Buy a new radiator it leaks so I have to get another one. One day this works fine then the next day it no longer works. The cross we bear as owners of Pro-Cars. Besides, my 401 tanked so I need someplace to put my money!!:eek:

If it don't smoke, drip or tick it ain't quick!

Like Ed said, let a few drips slide. Focus on the big things. And yes, if you have the car long enough you will get the joy of fixing again and again.

Richard, if it really gets to bothering you we would take it in trade for a later model.:D

Danny, got a Criterion sitting around? Working on a deal for one as we spaek and if I can get it, I would need to sell mine. But always appreciate your efforts Mr. Ryder...:)

Back