Superior 54-XL

http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/album.php?albumid=36

Something special for me is that this car was originally sold by the Superior dealer in Council Bluffs, Iowa. My maternal grand parents were both from Council Bluffs and moved to Alberta ~ 1900.

Tim,
You are the only person that I have ever corresponded with that has ever made mention of a coach dealer here in Council Bluffs. Do you have any documentation that would verify that this dealer existed? I have lived in the Omaha/Council Bluffs area for over 24 years now and I have never heard anyone else mention anything about a coach dealer here in Council Bluffs. I would love to know more about this former dealer.

Kurt: I will defer in part to Tony Karsnia who was "the man" in the documentation. There was apparently a Superior dealer in Council Bluffs, now long gone. Tried to track down more information without success. Maybe some old timers in the area might know (I would love to know ANY info!). Saw all of its professional duty with Providence Medical Center in Wayne, Nebraska. Tried to find dealer though the hospital, no go. Purchased from them by a friend of Tony's in 1998. One more owner before Bruce, to me in 2008.

If you were able to get any info on the Superior dealer of the time in the area, would love to hear about them

Tim,
Our city directories from the early/mid '70s should show them, if they were here. I have access to a collection of them and will check to see what I can find. I will report back.

When I was selling hearses in the '90s, I crossed paths with a white 1977 Superior Cadillac Regal that had documentation in the glove compartment as having been delivered new to Cutler Funeral Home of Council Bluffs by Superior Coach Sales, also of Council Bluffs. I believe this dealership was the successor to McMichael's Superior Sales of Shenandoah, Iowa.

I have fond memories of the trip to Providence Medical Center in Wayne, NE ca. 1998 to accept delivery of the 1976 Superior Cadillac 54XL that now resides in Tim's collection. Denny Spangler was a very gracious host and I could tell it was difficult for him to let this car go after having it since new.

I live in hawaii and there is not one here. I own one but it is at a friends in Minnesota where I used to live. It is the former Beverly Hills FD rig. I will put up a photo later. May even consider selling it to a PCS member only.

Jim, do you still visit this site? I sent you a message but you're at your capacity and will not accept any new messages until you clear some. I have a question about your 54XL. Thanks. Jim

here are the pictures of 54xl I have some were all ready posted. I know that in the stay central folder I have some of Bruce's right after it was redone. the last one is labeled 76. maybe some one can enlighten me as to how many years they produced the 54xl

Attachments

• 1975 superior 54 xl 01.jpg
    1975 superior 54 xl 01.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 502
  • 1975 superior 54xl 001.jpg
    1975 superior 54xl 001.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 596
  • 1975 superior Piner1.jpg
    1975 superior Piner1.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 501
  • 1975 superior xl.jpg
    1975 superior xl.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 490
  • 1976 superior 54 in 1.jpg
    1976 superior 54 in 1.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 494
here are the pictures of 54xl I have some were all ready posted. I know that in the stay central folder I have some of Bruce's right after it was redone. the last one is labeled 76. maybe some one can enlighten me as to how many years they produced the 54xl

I believe the 54XLs were made in 1975 and 1976. I was told a total of 50 were produced. After 1976, Superior only made the smaller "transport" ambulances 10 in 1977, 10 in 1978 and 10 in 1979. Jim

Hey, I recognize that car! Right now she is having work done replacing a Nebraska salt worn rear bumper and fixing a lot of little things, following which will get a new coat of paint to the upper body and a good buff, ready to drive in the Spring. Still haven't finalized on more visable rear view mirrors. She really needs jr. California mirrors to be safe on a freeway.
Several years ago I beat the bushes as best I could, along with the help of several board members to better define numbers and survivors. Briefly:
- approximately (??) 50 produced each in 75 and 76, with no known records left from Superior as to any details, and most gleaned from memories provided by a gentleman who was on the line producing them.
- in total I tracked down less than ten to date, from survivors to basket cases, but they may still be out there.

Rare cars. If any one has any further info or contacts I would appreciate any information.

Off for "new clothes"

While I have had the XL since 2008 it has seen very little road time relative to my other cars. All the mechanical issues are deal with, (are they ever) and a new rear bumper in place. So it is off to repaint the upper half of the car. The paint on the roof is original and over the years has cracked and spidered. Hopefully in several weeks the warning lights will be back on and it will be ready for upcoming EMS Foundation activities.

Attachments

• pre paint (600 x 339).jpg
    pre paint (600 x 339).jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 308
Shes lookin mighty fine just as she sits ,Tim !!:thumbsup::)
But she will no doubt be even better with some "new clothes"....:applause:

Thanks James and Bruce. She drives beautifully.
While I have less than 0.001% of Ed's talents in restoring these cars, I could devote my hours to doing so very happily.

hands on is fun. were I enjoyed my trip threw EMS I doubt if I could have ever made a living in medicine. but in the 17 years I was employed as a body man I did learn that the difference in a professional and a weekender is the professional will take it back apart to correct a flaw. the weekender will just live with it. the guy that's the big money man will learn how to cover it up. but the one biggest mistake is never never leave something you can see on her door.

follow up question

The 76 is painted. My painter however feels the reason for all the micro cracking in the fiberglass is the weight of the pods to hold the warning and scene lights, with inadequate support behind the fiberglass. He questioned whether a support plate should be put on the inner surface of the fiberglass, which would be a huge job requiring taking down the headliner for access. Recognizing it will be driven little in its future, has anyone done this, or do I simply replace the pods as is?
Thanks in advance.

there are not a lot of people out there that are familiar with lacquer paint any more. the checking in the paint would simply be from expansion and contraction of the base the lacquer was applied to. as it ages it becomes brittle and can no longer expand with the base. if the checks are into the fiberglass that is from the loss of solvents in the rosen. the gel coat will get them in it also. I have found that a rosin based product like the metal to metal will adhere nicely to the fiberglass filling all the cracks in it and restoring the balance.

but checks in the paint are just a property of old lacquer. it should be striped though before new paint is applied.

When I started this thread, I only hoped that it would spark some interest on here. I am very pleased of the response to it and love the pictures. The 54-XL has been and will always be my favorite Cadillac ambulance, I'm not quite sure why it is, as I have also ran in the M-M Critierion. The Superiors outlasted the Critierion in our service because of the fiberglass tops. All of these units were definitely impressive.:applause:

better up to speed

I stopped by to check out the issue. It is only in fact the side warning tunnel lights and how they are so heavy they have cracked the fiberglass where the side signs could have been optioned.

I have searched all the 75-76 images I can and have not found another Superior with these heavy tunnel lights used in this fashion. All used the smaller non sealed beams as on my 75.? an add on or modification after it left the factory, or an option on XL models, which was not fully thought out.

Not being able to easily re enforce the fiberglass, especially on the drivers side where the large med cabinet impacts access to this area, I think my best plan is to internalize the wires and seal over the holes. Results in no warning light, but also no cracking in 1-2 years. Would anyone have a pair of the side signs or smaller marker lights hanging around?

Attachments

• aug 2015 002 (600 x 400).jpg
    aug 2015 002 (600 x 400).jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 208
  • 75-76-2 (600 x 450).jpg
    75-76-2 (600 x 450).jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 202
So..... obviously your rig had the lighted roof(side) signs which were removed and filled in at some point. A prior owner must have wanted side warning lights more than the signs which were on it. The cut-outs would not have been there had it not had them at one time. Looks like a piece of fiberglas was riveted in place to fill the hole.

I have a pair in my parts car, but the interior housings are in rough shape due to the fact that they used plastic that was relatively light weight.

The car came from Superior with the side and rear lighting that is on it. When I owned the car, I swapped the 184s for CJ184 lights. I removed the twin front speakers, installed the twin 888 lights and installed the Q2b on the roof in a steel re enforced area that was designed for a motor driven siren. When the sisters ordered that car originally they did not order the side sign so Superior must have plugged that area when it was built. Fiberglass is notorious for stress cracking, Corvettes also have stress cracking problems. its the nature of the beast.
So..... obviously your rig had the lighted roof(side) signs which were removed and filled in at some point. A prior owner must have wanted side warning lights more than the signs which were on it. The cut-outs would not have been there had it not had them at one time. Looks like a piece of fiberglas was riveted in place to fill the hole.

I have a pair in my parts car, but the interior housings are in rough shape due to the fact that they used plastic that was relatively light weight.

Back