Thoughts

David Henry

PCS Member
I am talking with someone who has a 1973 M/M Lifeliner and originally thought maybe a parts car for my current car. But after looking at the photos, maybe a nice candidate for restoration, what do you think? Also he has no idea what it is worth, so suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_4326.jpg
    IMG_4326.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_4327.jpg
    IMG_4327.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_4328.jpg
    IMG_4328.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_4329.jpg
    IMG_4329.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_4330.jpg
    IMG_4330.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_4331.jpg
    IMG_4331.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_4332.jpg
    IMG_4332.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_4333.jpg
    IMG_4333.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 247
A few more photos

Yes, that is a square cut out of the rear door. Also, the MED cabinet/divider is missing

Attachments

• IMG_4334.jpg
    IMG_4334.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_4335.jpg
    IMG_4335.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_4336.jpg
    IMG_4336.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_4337.jpg
    IMG_4337.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 242
From the pictures, it would be a shame to part this out in my opinion. I know the professional car society is all about immaculate and original cars, but this looks to me like a car that could be drivable already. I don't know if it has an engine in it but it looks like a very solid car. If it is drivable, 5000 would be where I'd be interested. Definitely worth picking up for right price. If you decide not to buy it, I might be interested. Hope it works out.:)

It could be restored, but at what cost, and how do you source the needed missing parts? For starters, you will need a hood, front right fender, and a grille. Then the cabinet and divider glass is missing from the rear, and you will have some upholstery work that will need to be done. I would estimate all that work and parts, being between $10,000 & $15,000. I see this as an ambitious project for a young person that has the time and ability to bring it back to what it originally was. I have always said that you should start with the best car that you can find within your budget. This car would have to be on the low end of the dollar scale, knowing what will be needed based on the pictures, and the unknown mechanical condition. If it needs brakes, and most cars of this age do, this along can cost you $600 to a $1000, based on parts and labor to do the complete job. If it needs suspension work, I can see that costing just about the same, depending on what they find upon examination. Personally, I think a fair price for this car would be in the $1500 range at best.

$2000 maybe if it runs? I agree with some, it'd be a shame to see it get parted unless the parts really can't be found elsewhere.

Way too nice to part out. These are now older and rarer. This does not look very rusty a BIG plus. I have a 73 and 76 life Liners in the yard and a 76 criterian if you get serious about buying this I can check cabinet divide rear door condition,

Waaay too solid to part out! I would put this rig in the $1500-$2500 range, based on the issues that it does have. It would be a shame to see this car parted out.

I am with all voices here. Way too nice to part out... A significant bill to bring it back. What IT needs is a good parts car.

50/50 there is a lot missing inside. something strange here I don't see were things were to have been attached. but I'm not looking at the car. if you can bail into the car and drive it home and it was complete all the trim there all the interior there damaged damaged or not, it is in the 5 grand range. you then need to start subtracting or adding from that figure. but say you got the car for 2 were you going to put it? you have to protect your investment. if your using it for a parts car. so you run it out back how much of your investment are you going to lose with it sitting there? and what is on this car that you can swap on yours. mainly glass is all. everything else is best bought new or rebuilt.

I would not think this one would be a good parts car. so it would need to be a restored car.

I appreciate everyone's feedback, you all have more experience with this than I do. Truth be told, this car is in Alaska and although I can get the car for under a grand, the transportation cost are off the chart. So realistically, i'm not going to pay 4 thousand in transport cost.

Interestingly there are very few company's who haul cars from Alaska...

There is one PCS Member that did purchase an ambulance from Alaska, and he found reasonable shipping back to the states. I am not going to drop any names, since it isn't my place to. Here is a picture of the car in Alaska prior to its arrival in the states.

Attachments

• left_side.jpg
    left_side.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 97
one way to do it is to suggest to your wife you need to go on a cruse. fly to Alaska pick up the car and drive it on to the ferry and cruse to Seattle.

Kandy has not asked to go on one since we took two cruses to BC to pick up the bumper for the 58.

I appreciate everyone's feedback, you all have more experience with this than I do. Truth be told, this car is in Alaska and although I can get the car for under a grand, the transportation cost are off the chart. So realistically, i'm not going to pay 4 thousand in transport cost.

Interestingly there are very few company's who haul cars from Alaska...

David, being in the transportation business I can assure you that transportation costs will vary widely from day to day. It's just like real estate.....location, location, location! Some guy that's been sitting someplace for a few days with no load in sight will jump all over ANY load that will get him moving. Trucks sitting still don't make any money, but the expenses keep on going.

Get ahold of Rick Franklin, he's up in the northwest part of the country, and has/had a pretty good handle on transportation in that area. Keep checking, you'll be amazed what pops up.

For my money, IF you can purchase the vehicle for what you say, to me it would damn near be worth the transportation costs you referenced. You will be in, what appears to be, a pretty fair vehicle for not a lot of money that should be worth your investment with very little work. Just my humble opinion!!!

Quite honestly the '73 Lifeliner is one of my "dream cars", and if I had the money and room I would be all over that one IF it's in the condition we think it is.

There is one PCS Member that did purchase an ambulance from Alaska, and he found reasonable shipping back to the states. I am not going to drop any names, since it isn't my place to. Here is a picture of the car in Alaska prior to its arrival in the states.

Did that fishing boat on the roof come with the car??

Back