hot start problems

John ED Renstrom

PCS Member
Super Site Supporter
at the time I put the cables in the 53 I got the biggest one the had at the local parts store. it was a #2 cable and then we put the ends on it. the car runs good but would fail to crank when up to operating temp. it would push start with the slightest of movement. so we did the over haul of the starter it didn't look that bad except for the rust build up on places. of course it only made a small amount of difference. so I figured we need a bigger cable. just had not gotten around to it. found a number of them on e-bay so though what the heck the price was not that bad and they put ends on it.

we got this one up. now then I cant say really how much bigger it is, it could be all insulation but the hot start problem has gone away. we went from a #2 cable to a 02 cable. now for a 12 volt car the #2 would be a over kill did not quite cut it for 6 volt system.

Attachments

• IMG_7570.jpg
    IMG_7570.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 108
You have to have Heavy cables with 6 volt also heavy ends like you show NO GYPSY terminals. This was one of the reasons everyone went to 12 volt you could get the same amps through a thinner (cheaper) CABLE. Same goes for the rest of the wiring. Another thing to watch when they start hard hot is the timing may be advanced a bit too far this will make a unit grunt hot BUT not cold. Helps also if battery ground is connected to starter bolt or directly to engine block at least. Back with 30s cars battery under front seat was common then it would be grounded to chassis with short cable next to battery this produced strange starting results sometimes adding a longer cable directly to the block or starter bolt would usually clean up this issue.

we may need to recheck the timing when it's at normal operating temp. after we have run it down the road some. we set it after it came up to temp but it was only idling. the problem with not driving one is you forget what you have and haven't done. setting the timing on a 6 volt car with a 12 volt timing light is a bit of a challenge but it can be done. ;)

we may need to recheck the timing when it's at normal operating temp. after we have run it down the road some. we set it after it came up to temp but it was only idling. the problem with not driving one is you forget what you have and haven't done. setting the timing on a 6 volt car with a 12 volt timing light is a bit of a challenge but it can be done. ;)

I don't thin right now there is a ground strait from the engine to the frame. probably be best if I do that. might get a light or two to come on.

Back