49 Flxible Buick

Need information on correct body and motor mounts for a 49 Flxible Buick Ambulance. Helping a group with a frame off resto. where they did not save a lot of old parts. Several choices from the on line sites and would like to get the correct parts the first time. Any help is appreciated

clartkhurlburt@sbcglobal.net

They can be in a world of hurt, not saving the old parts. Many parts from the 1940's are very difficult to find, and being a Flxible, can make it even more difficult if they are to need exterior trim. I would suggest that they get in contact with the Yankee Chapter of the Buick Club of America, and see if there is someone local that has a Buick of the same vintage that they can look and photograph for reference pictures. The one thing that will be the most helpful if it is still on the car, is the GM/Buick data plate that is attached to the fire wall. That will give the information as to what the original chassis that Flxible built the car on. I am in CT, so if you need any help, just let me know.
Paul

The Buick was not built on a commercial chassis so that for the mechanical end Thay would be standard parts on what ever chassis they used.

You Email address did not work . Motor mounts and most any other mechanical parts are available from Kanter Auto Products in Boonton NJ. They are on line easy to find www.kanter.com. They have a catalog they will send you.The Bucik is a stretched passenger car so parts from a similar model fit EG a Roadmaster or a Super. Easy to tell the difference front fender Roadmaster has four portholes Super three. As far as body mount parts go again Standard Buick Passenger parts should be the same however this not a fact on my part its an assumption based on 60 yeras of working on Buicks. Bought my first one a 41 for $20.00 in 1954.

All 1949 Flxible-Buicks were based on a Roadmaster Series 49-70 chassis. Internally, Buick often referred to this particular platform as either a #713 or a #710 chassis. In any event, it was a Roadmaster. The complete front end clip and all mechanical assemblies therein were derived from the Roadmaster.

Clark - If you would be kind enough to post a picture of the Flxible serial plate for this car or, alternatively, supply us with the data from this plate, we will be able to positively identify your vehicle - model, to whom it was originally sold and delivered and other vehicle specific information for you. The Flxible production and delivery records are available. I may also have a 1949 Flxible service manual portions of which could be scanned and shared with you - if that would be of any assistance.

Clark - If you would be kind enough to post a picture of the Flxible serial plate for this car or, alternatively, supply us with the data from this plate, we will be able to positively identify your vehicle - model, to whom it was originally sold and delivered and other vehicle specific information for you. The Flxible production and delivery records are available. I may also have a 1949 Flxible service manual portions of which could be scanned and shared with you - if that would be of any assistance.
Posted a px of the plate in an album under my name. Was unable to upload to this thread.

Attachments

• user208_pic3417_1484488038.jpg
    user208_pic3417_1484488038.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 163
Clark - The 1949 Flxible-Buicks were stylistic ground-breakers and, perhaps, the most advanced professional vehicles of their day.

According to the available Flxible production and delivery records, your car is an FB22-749 which means it was a Premier Ambulance. It was Flxible's body number 16311 and was delivered to the Webster Hose Company #3 in Ansonia, Conn in March of 1949. The vehicle's frame number was/is 15131153 and the motor number was/is 53327867. For your information, the 1949 Flxible Premier ambulance had a base factory drive-away (retail price) of $6,447 and in 1949 Flxible sold, built and delivered 403 Buick Roadmaster-based professional cars of which only 96 were ambulances (105 were funeral coaches, 190 were combination cars, 10 were service cars, 1 was a police patrol and 1 was unidentified).

The 2nd Quarter 2012 edition of The Professional Car (#144), featured a well-illustrated, in-depth, 15 page article documenting the 1949 Flxible-Buick professional vehicles. If interested, this issue should be readily available through Matt Taylor - the Professional Car Society's Store Keeper. I sincerely hope this information is of some use/interest to you and, should you have further questions, please do not hesitate to let us know. As you can see from the production statistics, there were not an awful lot of these ambulances built. As such, surviving examples are rare. We at the PCS would love to see photos of this car, will gladly be of whatever assistance we may be and and wish you well in the restoration. We would love to see this vehicle properly restored and preserved.

Back