1961 Eureka-Cadillac Hi-Boy Electrical Questions

You may find that the regulator is good. One can never guess what someone else did and why. I gust know if you return the car to what it was when new it will work like it did when it was new.

A lot of times need and availably over ran common sense when making a repair on these cars. They would make due with what was on hand and make it work.

So - it appears best answer is my car had a Delco 1117115 alternator and 1119160 regulator. I was able to find both over the past month. No idea what the 1950609 alternator option was for 1961/1962, the Delco parts resources I have looked at have been unhelpful. Before we close the book on this - anyone have any ideas or old Delco catalogs?

I was able to obtain a Delco 1117115 alternator, and a NOS 1119160 mechanical regulator for the car. The former had been rebuilt at some time in the past and sat on a shelf in a "Mom and Pop" auto parts store in Washington State. The latter was literally new in the box. I brought them to a local, large alternator shop to be examined/tested and the alternator's battery terminal repaired due to some in-transit damage.

All seemed well - and both items function. Just not together, according to the shop... They report the regulator is a B circuit, and the alternator is instead an A circuit. The shop doesn't have Delco books prior to the early 1970s, and the owner has never seen these models before - so that may be a factor. I am surely not one to carry on a significant technical discussion on these, although I am trying to learn.

Unfortunately, information on these two particular devices is few/far between and they appear to have been replaced quickly in the Delco lineup with the 1117128 130 amp alternator and 9000500 transistorized regulator. What I have turned up:

1. Th shop claims the newer solid state regulators (like the finned one pictured above in post 18) would be correct, but according to a short "Delcotron" introduction book from 1961 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/262196671395 shows one) - the mechanical "black boxes" were the only things available then.
2. Multiple GM parts references specifically list the 1119160 regulator as the correct one for the 1117115 alternator from the 1960s to 1980s. It's not just Superior Coach. Paul Steinberg tells me it is indeed possible there's an error that's been propagated for years.
3. http://restorecarsclassifieds.com/wiki/show_pdf.pdf?n=13135 shows one of the few documents I've found with a specific mention of the 1117115 alternator. Maybe I just don't know what I'm reading - and it tells me what circuit it is?
3. I e-mailed Ken at Classic Generator (http://www.classicgenerator.com/) and he couldn't find much on the 1117115. The 1119160 is indeed a B circuit regulator. His recommendation was to just use them - as they are indeed correct and compatible by his understanding.

Questions:

1. Possibly the alternator was molested in the past and was originally a B circuit and now is an A? I pick up the unit tomorrow - is there any way to tell?
2. Anyone got any references besides what I've found?
3. I am also looking for a fan and pulley for this unit. They were not present when I bought it.

Thanks for any help!

Back