McPherson Eureka flower cars

Last year's discussion about Eureka Town Cars ended up being an information cornucopia, complete down to numbers and colors produced. Is the same sort readily available for (FWD) Concours Classic flower cars made during the same period?

One turned up this morning. (No pics yet.) Can't imagine many were made.

According to Tom McPherson, they were more popular than you might think. He said that the 1987 (FWD) Concours Classic was introduced at the NFDA convention in Orlando, Florida in 1986 and that following that announcement, they probably sold more of the FWD versions than they had of the RWD models which were introduced in 1981. He remembers a pair of these that were delivered to Shield's Southeast Sales in Atlanta. One of them was red with a black vinyl roof. He said that, like the Town Cars, the higher the prices of these cars went, the more they seemed to sell! The basic styling line of these FWD cars mimmicked that of the popular RWD version - with the heavy, chrome-edged lip over the back of the roof above rear window.I have some photos and literature on these around here somewhere as well as some price lists. I'll have to see what I can find. At any rate, they were stunning as well as being the first FWD Cadillac flower cars in the professional vehicle industry. Eureka probably sold and built more flower cars than all the other coachbuilders combined between 1981 and 1988.

John.....thanks for posting those photos. The red one didn't leave the Eureka factory that color. It's been re-painted at some point. Note the location of the Eureka nameplate and other badges - they're incorrect. The ones on the silver car are correct which means that....either that car is as it left the plant or if it has been repainted, at least all the emblems were put back where they belonged. The red one is also missing body side moldings which all Eurekas had. Nice photos though.

I personally saw the silver car last fall at the CW Coach fall meet,which is where the pic was taken.The car is in pretty good shape overall,except for some minor rust right above the left rear fender-it's somewhat visible in the pic. One minor thing,the front seat appeared to be covered in a vinyl seat cover,and it covered both front seats and the mid section. I thought that was a little odd. Other than that,it just needed a good detail job. Cool car,but I couldn't pay 7 grand for it. I'm more of a V8-RWD type of guy.

Where did this red one serve originally? Or does anyone know its history? I am pretty sure I saw it yesterday, or one just like it..

I know in a old TPC issue there was a Pic of the red one and it said it was headed for delivery from the Eureka plant to Atlanta. C.W. coach had it for sale around 2008, and it had Cunningham & sons on the door. That's all I can tell you.

Red 88

The one I saw looks identical from the pictures posted. Except it says Bender & Sons on it in a very similar design to it. I saw it at Dorney Park, in Allentown, PA. It was at the end of one of their haunted attractions. Saw it earlier in the day from a distance, and up close some in the dark. So no real good pictures happened. Im not sure if Dorney owns it or just some who works there. It did have their ad on it and on a plus side it is PA inspected until August of next year. So I guess it runs unlike their other motorless(and some abused) coaches..

The FWD burgundy flower car with "Cunningham & Sons" on car may be African-American firm in Fayetteville, NC. When I sold cars briefly in 1995-1996, Cunningham was running burgundy BUICKS (!) for their funeral cars. This logo looks similar to the one on their website.
I am not sure how old the firm is, they were not in business when I left Fayetteville in 1984...

Back