Help with findng a source for moulding clips

Bruce Biancalana

PCS Life Member
I am trying to locate the correct clips for attachng the stainless moulding that runs below the rear side glass and wraps around to the rear door on a 1970 M&M Voulunteer Ambulance. Does any one have access to a part number book that could give the part number? Has any one bought these moulding clips that could tell me where I could go to get some.

2012-09-25175804.jpg

2012-09-25175707.jpg

moulding clips

Bruce,
Have you tried all the paint and body shops in your area? The auto paint stores here sell more than paint. You my get lucky if you can take one with you for comparison. Could you post the measurement of this item? The dime gives a good idea but a 1/16 of an inch may be the difference between a clip that will work and one that won't.
Mike

The clip is 3/4 of an inch long 1/4+ wide or 2 cm long 8 mm wide I have not had much luck with the local body shop supply stores. They have all asked me for a part number.

Volkswagen and Audi have used clips like that, but I have never tried to find if they would interchange. Try one of those dealership body shops. Those are the guys that are going to have them in their tool boxes and you can compare them. The parts departments always need make, model, year, color of the car, and was the sun shining when it was purchased.

I was looking through clipsandfateners.com and i did see that VW, Audi and BMW use simalar clips but it is hard to tell the actual size. Your Idea is probably a good one and I will try it.

how many

Bruce,
How many clips do you need? We have a shop here that has
their clips in trays. The trays are big bin wheels stacked
several bins high. I can check them for you.
Mike

the VW are way to small. now then having just put that molding in place on a 69. I can say they used the 3 with centers either side of the back door. then a t bolt that you can't get to to tighten the nut on, at least four more with a screw in the center threw the hole in the right angle crack, then last a t bolt you can reach in front. so if you have any with out the lock you can use then under the glass. if you have a lot of them with out the lock you can use a 3/32 wood down for the center lock. pick up the dowel at the ace hardware store. take the clip with you I might be off the size but they have one that fits. the only source for these i know of was Restorations specialties 814-467-9842 at a buck each. but the last word I got threw the grape vine was they were out. aveco has one that you can put on with a rivet that fits the door moldings

Just noticed that these clips are filled in the middle?? Mine are identical but holds in place with a tiny screw, I tought it was the original fixture... Does it means both way are original ?... Maybe they added a screw on the previous restoration.

Clips

GM used this type of clip on chrome side moldings in the late 80s. I have had good luck with the auto body suppliers in our area. Most have a big catalog of clips with full size photos. Ihave been able to match them exactly.
Hope it helps

GM used this type of clip on chrome side moldings in the late 80s. I have had good luck with the auto body suppliers in our area. Most have a big catalog of clips with full size photos. Ihave been able to match them exactly.
Hope it helps

stop down and find us a company name and part number no one else can locate any. none of the body shops here have seen any of them in the last 40 years.

The names on the sides of the boxs of clips I bought were J&T Automotive and AU VE CO. If you want to send me one I can try a jobber I have had good luck with here. Autobody of Schenectady.

aveco no longer carries them. if you can print out the pictures that was posted. the set we are looking for are about twice as long as they are wide. the VW ones and about 3 times as long and tiny. if the man sees the picture he will remember them.

by the way what makes anyone believe they are a GM clip??

Looking as well.

I've been looking for these as well for my '73 Lifeliner. They are used to hold the stainless trim at the top of the left and right rear quarter panels.

I managed to alter some other plastic clips as a temporary repair but the real ones are needed for the proper fit and to be secure.

I've checked all of the GM body shops as well as the body shop supply houses with no luck.

If someone does find a source I'd purchase 50 of them.

check again on this one Bill your looking for the bigger square ones. you will have to ask Paule were he got them there is no name on the box. remember I said why does any one think they are a GM clip. these are the square ones you need for that top fender molding on your MM. sorry I thought you had it back togather.

Attachments

• IMG_7494.JPG
    IMG_7494.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 98
Ed...the ones you've shown are for the stainless wrap around trim that is below the window and extends across the rear door as well (top picture shows the clip inplace with the trim removed).

The ones thas Bruce is looking for a different purpose (I believe) and holds the thinner trim on topof the quarter panels.

Attachments

• P1080695.jpg
    P1080695.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 77
  • P1100749.jpg
    P1100749.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 83
I really appreciate all the help. Here are more pics of the clips and how they are used on the car.

This is a pic of what I have to work with they have mostly disintegrated from age.

2012-09-27114429.jpg

Depending where thes clips are used some are used as push in and some are screwed in place.

2012-09-27114608.jpg

This is one of the moldings I need to attach.

2012-09-27114528.jpg

Ed...the ones you've shown are for the stainless wrap around trim that is below the window and extends across the rear door as well (top picture shows the clip inplace with the trim removed).

The ones thas Bruce is looking for a different purpose (I believe) and holds the thinner trim on topof the quarter panels.

you are correct. except the ones I have shown are for the molding on the top of fin. they are center not offset

now the only replacement clip I know of now for the moldings in question are these. you will need the stud replacement rivets and the nose piece for the riveter. but to use them on that one under the glass will be a challenge one can put them on with a screw but you will have to use washers under them so that it rides at a 45 in the groove. they will work nicely on the doors though. this is the same clip S&S used and it a GM clip. the Rambler one is like Ramblers no longer around.

Attachments

• IMG_7500.jpg
    IMG_7500.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 54
Back