Optima Battery Covers

Bill Carlin

PCS Life Member
Does anyone know where I can find a cover for the Optima 6V Battery so it looks like the origional tar top? I have heard of these, but do not know where to find them.

Thanks

Here you go:
http://www.tartopper.com/

Remember, whatever you seek all you have to do is do an internet search for that item, took about 15 seconds to find this. I think this is exactly what you're looking for Bill they even show an Optima battery on the homepage with this old-school cover on it. Enjoy!

tt2_lg.jpg

Thanks Dwayne, but these are for the 12 V. I found these. I need the ones for the 6 V. and the 12 V will NOT work.

Thanks anyway

Bill, what is the difference in the batteries besides the voltage? The 6V battery bought for the 1951 Superior was the same size as a modern 12V but now thinking back the 1930's cars did have beastly 6V batteries that were absolutely huge... if that's what you seek i'll look around & see if they're available.

Bill, these guys claim to sell the cover you are looking for, it's for the Optima 6 volt, 850 series... I copied & pasted this from another forum discussing the same subject

They now have a cover for 6 volt 850 Optima batteries

http://www.batteriesareus.com/index....products_id=74

I went to the BatteriesAreUs website & couldn't find it though, so you may want to call them (402) 408-5873 as several people who use the same battery have bought this cover through them to disguise their Optima

Correction... just found the one you want:

http://quailservices.com/

If you have an Optima 6 volt battery, or plan to use one in your vintage auto, then you should consider using the Disguise Battery case. the Disguise is designed to safely conceal the Optima 850-6 battery as well as provide the look of a conventional lead acid battery. The Disguise is available in two models: the, 2D-II, and 2LD-II. The 2D-II case looks like a modern group 2 battery, the 2LD-II has the appearance of a vintage Group 2L tar top battery.

Please note: The 2D-2 and 2LD-II have been redesigned to accomodate the current Optima 6 volt battery design as well as previous designs

Model 2LD II Tar Top shown below, $95.00 plus Shipping from Zip 92881. Model 2D II (not shown) $78.00, battery not included.

Dimensions: 10.5 L X 7.0 W, X 8.0 H Shipping wt. five Lbs.

trtpcse.jpg

Are you guys trying to fool the judges? You know that they are watching. 6 volt batteries have 3 caps where 12 volts have 6 caps. 2 volts per cap. Good luck.:)

Why not just buy an original dry un-charged Delco tar top battery? I see them occassionally on eBay.

This company produces & sells an entire line of reproduction batteries if anyone is interested, but prepare for "sticker shock":

http://www.antiqueautobattery.com/

Scott, the battery cover offered through quailservices does have the right look and only 3 caps, it houses the Optima 6V battery Bill already has.

Paul, i'm assuming Bill wants this enclosure for originality looks while having one of the most highly recommended batteries on the market for dependability. That's why I dug so deep last night to help him find what he was looking for. To each his own, but I commend the guy for embracing a little modern technology while keeping the period look.

Optima batteries are very popular, they claim that no matter what happens they won't make an acid mess. I don't know what they use inside them but read last night one of the demos to show their durability is they shoot one with a .45 pistol & it still works & don't leak acid.

I've got one you can shoot with a .45 pistol. It's basically a $159 doorstop. It's my own fault for blowing off the charging instructions.

I HIGHLY recommend never charging an Optima battery with over 10 amps of charge, and avoid jump-starting them whenever possible. If you take care of them they are great, but they are real finicky about how you charge them. I had one replaced under warranty which probably went bad because of the way I charged it, but my yellow-top only had a one year warranty and when I figured out it was never coming back from the dead it was already too late. I still can't bring myself to get rid of it. There was an article in Hot Rod magazine this month about bringing them back to life (evidently this is a common problem), so I followed the instructions and was able to get it back up to 11 volts, but I don't think it is ever going to hold a charge again.

The Hot Rod article does a good job of describing Optima-type batteries and how to maintain them. I couldn't find a copy of it online. It hasn't shown up on their site yet, but it should sometime soon.

Todd, if you find it i would like to read it, i also have a expensive door stop also. I went tru 2 of them in my chrysler 300 so this year i just bought a good old faithfull. I do have to say the first battery i had my voltage regulator went bad on the first long road trip to the hunnert car pile up in morris ill. And my chrysler was featured on my classic car at that show. and befor the filming i opened the hood and seen fluid all over. So i did a dump thing and dipped my finger and took a little taste because i thought is was antifreeze. Wrong battery acid it optima boiled out i still have mant parts "chrome and ceramic cote parts and painted parts stained from it" so i have not been trilled with it for the cost.

Basically the trick they mention is that if an Optima or Odyssey battery is drained down far enough, your charger won't charge it because it doesn't know it's there. What they suggest is that you hook it up in parallel with a good regular battery (positive to positive, negative to negative), then charge both batteries together (using the 10 amp setting on your charger) until the Optima is back up to 12 volts or so. after that you should be able to charge it normally.

I found out that when mine went down from a map light on,:poster_oops: that an old battery charger that has a 24 volts setting works great.:thumbsup:

Back